Airshow webinar

Interesting.

https://www.airshows.co.uk/features/2020/uk-air-displays-looking-forward-to-recovery/

Although I really cannot see how you can implement social distancing measures at big outdoor events, whether they be airshows, music festivals,, sporting events or agricultural county shows. I've had my FRIAT ticket for Fairford rolled over to next year, but I'm already wondering what the likelihood of it happening is, if I'm honest, and if so what format it will take? And social distancing on the arrivals days? Hmm...

@Paul Bradley It depends if those come with the cart-wheeling, bored 7-year olds who it's very possible will come spinning within the 2m distance.. 

I would be very surprised if Duxford is able to go ahead, especially with the way things are going in the UK at the moment. 

Or, even if it does, if it would be a wise decision to attend. I know the data on transmission seems to indicate a small chance of infection in outdoor areas, but when you have thousands of people in one place there will always be the chance to 'rub shoulders', no matter how cautious you are, and many people won't be willing to take that risk. 

Also, how are security staff expected to be able to frisk and bag search for instance? It either won't be effective (and is therefore putting attendees at risk) or it will put the security staff and volunteers at risk. 

I would even go so far as to say RIAT 2021 will probably rest on an effective vaccine being found and distributed by the Spring. 

Edited by Filbert_Wang
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:07 PM, Filbert_Wang said:

@Paul Bradley It depends if those come with the cart-wheeling, bored 7-year olds who it's very possible will come spinning within the 2m distance.. 

What do you mean by that? are you saying families shouldnt come ....seems very short sighted if you do 🤔

On 27/05/2020 at 04:15, junglierating said:

What do you mean by that? are you saying families shouldnt come ....seems very short sighted if you do 🤔

I wouldn't say it's not a family event, but yes, it's a very, very long day for young children and I think there are much better (and more suitable) forms of family entertainment available.

Different when you reach 11-12 years old and are at least getting old enough to have some interest, but you see a lot absolutely bored out of their wits, a lot without ear protection too.

Just my opinion though! I would rate people taking babies to Wimbledon as a bigger issue :)

Hmm I see what what you mean but ive taken 3 year olds no problem ....its just that you have to adjust your expectations of what you can see and do ....sometimes you cant see and do everything and entertain your wards .Frankly I find your opinion a bit limited but hey you can do that 👍

• Like 2

I respect all the opinions voiced in this thread, but you also need to consider how peoples' perceptions of risk will affect attendance. If folks perceive there is even a 1% chance of contracting Coronavirus at a particular event, then they will stay away. To hold an event and only have the die-hard fans attend will be financially disastrous for the organisers. I don't think social distancing will be viable at venues like Duxford, unless you have 500 stewards to enforce it and post numerous notices, warning that anyone not practising SD will be ejected from the airfield (and we can all imagine how unpopular that measure will be). 

I would love to see an air-show or two this year, but I think that they will probably simply not be viable until 2021. I really hope I'm wrong.

Chris.  

• Like 1

Spruecutter....judging by going in to a certain German owned supermarket the other day we are all doomed people dont seem to care now .....i was the only one wearing a face mask ...pure leftover from working in the smoke last week ...

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean, junglierating. I was in my local Tescos the other day and saw several people chatting away, standing very close together and no masks. I just wonder if peoples' attitude is one of "Well, it could never happen to me!" Don't these people ever watch the news?

Chris. 

On 5/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, spruecutter96 said:

If folks perceive there is even a 1% chance of contracting Coronavirus at a particular event, then they will stay away. To hold an event and only have the die-hard fans attend will be financially disastrous for the organisers.

The first I doubt (see large scale demonstrations currently) the second - yes. 
In the case of UK airshows, no overseas visitors at all - due to 2 weeks quarantine.
I've bought tickets for Duxford in September, but the quarantine bit effectively torpedoes that.

• 3 weeks later...

As Filbert said, mass attendance events can only multiply the chance of infection.  Are security people going to change gloves between frisking punters or will safety be compromised?, what about toilets and cleaning them?, catering could be another nightmare for transmission.  As someone who used to love attending airshows and seeing all kinds of aeroplanes in their element I miss them and worry for possible impact on the warbird community, but I will not be going. The phrase die-hard fan may be tragically prophetic.