MPC 1/72 Space 1999 Eagle

I finished my MPC 1/72 Eagle yesterday. It was a fun build. The engineering made the complicated structure relatively easy to put together. They provide a couple of screws to attach the pod to the ship, just like on the filming model. I wanted mine to be detachable, so I glued some 1 x 6 mm round magnets to the pod and the adjacent supports. Sorry for the poor cell phone pics. My photo set-up has been taken down so we can paint and carpet the room.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ben

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

It looks really good. I have one in the stash and this is making me think about starting it. I like the idea of the magnets. So you didn't go for the pilot decals in the windows then? It's something I was wondering how it would turn out.

Thanks everyone!

@Pete F I decided to stick with the black windscreens. Similar “photo-realistic” decals with crew and passengers are becoming popular on 1/144 airliners, but they’ve just never appealed to me. I found the magnets on eBay. You get 100 for ~$10US. The 1 mm thick ones will fit in the gap between the pod and the slotted plates on the Eagle. I stacked a couple more on top of the plates (6 magnets total) and they’re enough to hold the pod. Building the engine section reminded me of the Three Stooges film where Curly “repairs” the plumbing in a bathtub, but everything fit right together.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice one, Ben. A lot more accurate than the old Airfix one. What's next?

Thanks!

It's back to race cars, for now, but I still have a couple of Star Wars and Trek kits in my stash that I need to build.

Ben

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Is it the Bandai kit? Those are outstanding!

Ah, not exactly. It's the ancient MPC/Airfix kit. Gifted to me last week and I've never built one so had to go for it. A couple of bits missing but nothing I can't handle.

I'm quite enjoying the challenge, and, as I can't seem to build stuff from the box anymore (though it wasn't in a box anyway) I have fitted spoilers to the 'wings'

to make it an atmospheric 'dogfighter' (what is the Star wars equivalent of a dog?) and I'm making up the colours as I go along. Rebel aren't I?

7 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

How about trying one of the 22" kits?

Much as I'd like one, unless someone sends me one as a Christmas present, it's unlikely. When I grew up we never had much money, so I learned to be 'careful' with it.

I'm afraid the habit has always stuck with me. I'm not mean, we spend a fortune on the kids/Grandkids. I'm in a position now where I can easily afford that 22 inch kit, 

Kingkit has a kreiger kit I've been after for ages, but I baulk at spending 75 quid plus postage on a kit!

I'm quite happy scratchbuilding stuff from parts as it presents a challenge. Building from a box and following the instructions would bore me silly.

This X wing being a case in point. I looked for reference pictures, they all look the same! So once again I've gone left field and I'm enjoying myself.

Have you seen this? Never believe anything on your screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vfxTsFHa8

Cheers, Guys. Pete

• Like 1

I wish I had room for the 22" Eagle! As it is, I don't have anywhere to put my smaller one, so it's sitting next to me on my desk. Of course, that makes it easier for me to fly it around my office! 😄  

Love that video. I think he's done similar ones with the USS Enterprise and Klingon battlecruiser.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
  • Like 2

Don't forget to make the sound effects when you fly it!! I must admit I struggle to NOT make the take off sound whenever I pick one of my Eagles up :)

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, Ben Brown said:

I finished my MPC 1/72 Eagle yesterday. It was a fun build. The engineering made the complicated structure relatively easy to put together. They provide a couple of screws to attach the pod to the ship, just like on the filming model. I wanted mine to be detachable, so I glued some 1 x 6 mm round magnets to the pod and the adjacent supports. Sorry for the poor cell phone pics. My photo set-up has been taken down so we can paint and carpet the room.

Ben

Great build Ben! I have 5 of these in the stash plus detail sets awaiting the improvement of my skills. I just wish R2 would bring out the other Eagle variants in this scale.

• 3 weeks later...