Ark Models 1/144th Buran

Hi all, I was recently asked if I'd posted any of the space subjects I built for AMW's 'Real Space' special, published last November in time for Telford and realised that I hadn't, (partly because the 'bookazine' is still for sale from Key). So, starting with the Buran, I'll post them in the coming weeks if anyone's interested. 

This is a great little kit, if somewhat basic, (the Mikrodesign PE goes a long way to redress this but, unfortunately wasn't available at the time I built this pre-production kit). The box art is a wee bit misleading as the kit doesn't come with any payload, although Armata Models have released a Soyuz craft to compliment. Apparently there were plans to also release the docking module as well but I've no idea what happened to that. By way of compensation a friend of mine is currently designing a 37Kb Instrument Module to fill the void, two could be carried, as well as a few test equipment items and a docking module which I'll 3D print here at home.  Other than the lack of payload the only other disappointment are the underwhelming kit decals. While the small sheet supplies the vehicles main markings they completely ignore the thermal tiles and smaller stencils which covered the beast from stem to stern. A big thanks to Andrey at Begemot Decals who came to the rescue, providing me with an amazing decal sheet, featuring just about every tile and marking needed to finish the model. While the underside received some heat-staining, (this was to be 1K1 ,the first craft to fly) it was decided not to feature this on the upper surfaces as the editor wanted to highlight the tile decals in all their glory, I agreed.

I will be getting another, this time to fit to an Energia Super-Heavy launch vehicle, (again, 3D printed, it's a lot cheaper than forking out for the Anigrand kit).

Next up will be the old 1/100th MPC Titan IIIc Heavy-Lift launcher and 1/125th Heller Ariane V. Stay tuned, as they say...    

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.:cheers:

Melchie

1-DSC-4975.jpg

2-DSC-4994.jpg

3-DSC-4977.jpg

4-DSC-4973.jpg

5-DSC-4996.jpg

6-DSC-5003.jpg

7-DSC-4981.jpg

• Like 16

That looks really cool!

I can still remember watching on the TV news back in the late 80s (I guess?) when the Buran landed automatically from its first mission. I get that space flight wasn't a financial priority for the USSR/Russia in the years immediately afterwards but it's a shame the fate that befell the spacecraft.

Great model!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...