L'etendard sanglant

Anatol Pigwa

Hello everyone, here comes my second entry for this group build.

A Super Etendard with spotting the 100 years of French naval aviation livery. As you can see I was crazyenough to order PE-parts again but no masks. This is going to be fun.

The kit itself is not overlz complicated it is currently also the only Etendard readily available in 1:72 so my choices where slighly limited. the Syhart decals are as always a joy to the eye however if the Delta Ramex La Fayette is anything to go by,they will be quite fiddly to place.  

DSC_4704

I also have a question for the seasoned modeller. How do I make sure I have the perfect transition and don't get any colour bleeding around the thin yellow line - the line is provided as a decal. My idea was to paint everzthing black, place the yellow decal and then mask the hell out of it, with flexible masking tape. but mazbe someone has a cleverer solution?   

DSC_4711

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Hello everyone, here comes my second entry for this group build.

A Super Etendard with spotting the 100 years of French naval aviation livery. As you can see I was crazyenough to order PE-parts again but no masks. This is going to be fun.

The kit itself is not overlz complicated it is currently also the only Etendard readily available in 1:72 so my choices where slighly limited. the Syhart decals are as always a joy to the eye however if the Delta Ramex La Fayette is anything to go by,they will be quite fiddly to place.  

DSC_4704

I also have a question for the seasoned modeller. How do I make sure I have the perfect transition and don't get any colour bleeding around the thin yellow line - the line is provided as a decal. My idea was to paint everzthing black, place the yellow decal and then mask the hell out of it, with flexible masking tape. but mazbe someone has a cleverer solution?   

DSC_4711

Nice scheme. A tricky one as well. I would just spray the lighter colour then mask carefully the demarcation and spray the black. The carefully apply the yellow stripes along the edge of the lighter colour butted up against the black. I hope this makes sense?

Best of luck.

Davey.

10 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:
55 minutes ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Nice scheme. A tricky one as well. I would just spray the lighter colour then mask carefully the demarcation and spray the black. The carefully apply the yellow stripes along the edge of the lighter colour butted up against the black. I hope this makes sense?

Thanks for the feedback Davey. I will certainly start with black,since the black ought to be gloss according to the instructions, which I need as the base for the lighter aluminium part anyway, 

I am more concerned about hitting the joint with the decal after the painting, which i why I consider decaling the line before the aluminium  paint is sprayed. I worry however that some paint might run

under the mask covering the decal resulting in a mess :(.

5 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Thanks for the feedback Davey. I will certainly start with black,since the black ought to be gloss according to the instructions, which I need as the base for the lighter aluminium part anyway, 

I am more concerned about hitting the joint with the decal after the painting, which i why I consider decaling the line before the aluminium  paint is sprayed. I worry however that some paint might run

under the mask covering the decal resulting in a mess :(.

Even with a robust ckear coat and gentle masking, trying to mask over any decal is problematic at best - it's far too easy to pull up the decal since its adhesive is weaker than any paint.

It's hard to tell for certain from Syhart's instructions whether the yellow pinstriping is at the edge of the yellow/silver demarcation, or if there's a slim area of black outside the yellow trim.  In the latter case I'd suggest painting the silver and black, then applying the yellow decal trim.

If the yellow is the color separation line, you may have an extra problem beyond just masking accurately: if there is black paint beneath the yellow decal it will likely show through the lighter color, so unless you can align the decal very precisely you may see a "two tone" effecr in the yellow stripe. 

For this reason, my suggestion would be to first paint the yellow area, then mask with very fine line tape, followed by masking and painting the two main colors (with the fine line already setting your demarcation).

• Like 1