Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, here comes my second entry for this group build.

 

A Super Etendard with spotting the 100 years of French naval aviation livery. As you can see I was crazyenough to order PE-parts again but no masks. This is going to be fun.

The kit itself is not overlz complicated it is currently also the only Etendard readily available in 1:72 so my choices where slighly limited. the Syhart decals are as always a joy to the eye however if the Delta Ramex La Fayette is anything to go by,they will be quite fiddly to place.  

 

DSC_4704

 

 

I also have a question for the seasoned modeller. How do I make sure I have the perfect transition and don't get any colour bleeding around the thin yellow line - the line is provided as a decal. My idea was to paint everzthing black, place the yellow decal and then mask the hell out of it, with flexible masking tape. but mazbe someone has a cleverer solution?   

 

DSC_4711

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Hello everyone, here comes my second entry for this group build.

 

A Super Etendard with spotting the 100 years of French naval aviation livery. As you can see I was crazyenough to order PE-parts again but no masks. This is going to be fun.

The kit itself is not overlz complicated it is currently also the only Etendard readily available in 1:72 so my choices where slighly limited. the Syhart decals are as always a joy to the eye however if the Delta Ramex La Fayette is anything to go by,they will be quite fiddly to place.  

 

DSC_4704

 

 

I also have a question for the seasoned modeller. How do I make sure I have the perfect transition and don't get any colour bleeding around the thin yellow line - the line is provided as a decal. My idea was to paint everzthing black, place the yellow decal and then mask the hell out of it, with flexible masking tape. but mazbe someone has a cleverer solution?   

 

DSC_4711

 

Nice scheme. A tricky one as well. I would just spray the lighter colour then mask carefully the demarcation and spray the black. The carefully apply the yellow stripes along the edge of the lighter colour butted up against the black. I hope this makes sense?

 

Best of luck.

 

Davey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:
55 minutes ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

 

Nice scheme. A tricky one as well. I would just spray the lighter colour then mask carefully the demarcation and spray the black. The carefully apply the yellow stripes along the edge of the lighter colour butted up against the black. I hope this makes sense?

Thanks for the feedback Davey. I will certainly start with black,since the black ought to be gloss according to the instructions, which I need as the base for the lighter aluminium part anyway, 

I am more concerned about hitting the joint with the decal after the painting, which i why I consider decaling the line before the aluminium  paint is sprayed. I worry however that some paint might run

under the mask covering the decal resulting in a mess :(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Thanks for the feedback Davey. I will certainly start with black,since the black ought to be gloss according to the instructions, which I need as the base for the lighter aluminium part anyway, 

I am more concerned about hitting the joint with the decal after the painting, which i why I consider decaling the line before the aluminium  paint is sprayed. I worry however that some paint might run

under the mask covering the decal resulting in a mess :(.

Even with a robust ckear coat and gentle masking, trying to mask over any decal is problematic at best - it's far too easy to pull up the decal since its adhesive is weaker than any paint.

 

It's hard to tell for certain from Syhart's instructions whether the yellow pinstriping is at the edge of the yellow/silver demarcation, or if there's a slim area of black outside the yellow trim.  In the latter case I'd suggest painting the silver and black, then applying the yellow decal trim.

 

If the yellow is the color separation line, you may have an extra problem beyond just masking accurately: if there is black paint beneath the yellow decal it will likely show through the lighter color, so unless you can align the decal very precisely you may see a "two tone" effecr in the yellow stripe. 

 

For this reason, my suggestion would be to first paint the yellow area, then mask with very fine line tape, followed by masking and painting the two main colors (with the fine line already setting your demarcation).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great choice of subject ... and a challenging choice of scheme! 

 

Following with interest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...