Color film Royal Navy in the Pacific

Richard502

Looks like HMS Renown at the 2:50 mark.

Edit: And possibly HMS Valiant at around 5:15

Edited by Ravens

And outstanding proof that all this fuss and bother about exact colours is a total waste of time.   That film was taken from the same viewpoint with the same lighting conditions and each ship's colours are different !

A lesson for all people suffering from self-imposed exactness.

This film is extracted from Ron Smith's series of videos on the Royal Navy in WW2, almost all taken from the IWM archives.

"Cast" in order of appearance: Saratoga, US destroyers (Dunlap, Fanning and Cummings - not sure which order), Quilliam, Suffolk, Gambia, Renown, Illustrious, London, Gambia, "Q", "R" and "N" class destroyers (including Napier), Queen Elizabeth, Valiant, Richelieu, Ceylon, Tromp, Birmingham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Gollin said:

And outstanding proof that all this fuss and bother about exact colours is a total waste of time.   That film was taken from the same viewpoint with the same lighting conditions and each ship's colours are different !

But I do appreciate the ocean doing its best trying to match the colours of each ship and changing accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Also some of them actually were painted different colours.

Also, if I remember correctly, you see every ship twice. You see them from a slightly different angle/position on Saratoga in the two parts of the film ie there were two cameras filming this sail-past. If so, this would naturally cause differences.

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

This film is extracted from Ron Smith's series of videos on the Royal Navy in WW2, almost all taken from the IWM archives.

It's interesting how two people can watch the same film and arrive at opposite conclusions.

The G45 and B20 combinations looked remarkably consistent to me in terms of both tonal and hue relationships to one another, accounting for how the environment changed also. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

I have just bought the DVD compilation of Roland Smiths excellent series in order to replace the video versions I already had.

Cannot recommend them enough and it was particularly sad at his passing as more were in the pipeline.

I agree that there is often too much debate on tones of colours when light conditions, the affects of months of pounding in the seas are two factors that can alter what is seen?

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mick b said:

I have just bought the DVD compilation of Roland Smiths excellent series in order to replace the video versions I already had.

Cannot recommend them enough and it was particularly sad at his passing as more were in the pipeline.

I agree.  The BPF and East Indies Fleet one is almost certainly the video cassette in my collection I play most often.  The colour sequences in particular were a remarkable revelation to me.

A quick Google search is pulling up a number of DVD replacements for individual video cassettes but no "DVD compilation".  Could you please post a link?  It would be nice to get a Christmas present I actually wanted!

Let's be honest here.

One of the most popular kits in the scheme featured here is Tamiya's KGV. The instructions tell you - and most do religiously follow - to paint it neutral light grey and neutral dark grey.

That is patently wrong.

We know it's Scheme A. We know Scheme A used G45 and B20. Look those up online and you'll either find Snyder & Short's chips which are based on some erroneous stuff from Alan Raven giving you a milky-coffee coloured G45 and a greenish-blue B20. Neither looks much like what's plain to see in the above video.

If you enjoy being wrong just to annoy "rivet counters" then crack on - I don't care.

We know beyond any doubt that G45 was an Ultramarine blue tinted grey. I'm not debating that - I'm just telling you all. I can list and direct the reader towards a whole bunch of primary source references which back that up and nothing but 80 year old linseed oil paint samples which is notorious for yellowing to refute it.

Likewise B20. I'm not debating anything - I'm saying it was a half and half mix of B15 and B30. Both were made from white, Ultramarine, black and a tiny dash of green to neutralise ultramarine's inherent violet caste.

I perceive a great deal of reverse-snobbery in this topic. I seldom see anyone nit-picking a model build because someone is bit off in hue or tone either in isolation, or more usually how they relate to each other in terms of contrast. I do however see people clearly screw it right up and for good reason those who immediately recognise it looks nothing like any admissible evidence are too polite to say anything to upset the builder.

All the noise and aggro comes from the information repressors who vehemently resist the idea that there might actually be a relatively narrow ballpark which you'd ideally want to be in for the model to look right for the lighting conditions you subject it to.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I agree.  The BPF and East Indies Fleet one is almost certainly the video cassette in my collection I play most often.  The colour sequences in particular were a remarkable revelation to me.

A quick Google search is pulling up a number of DVD replacements for individual video cassettes but no "DVD compilation".  Could you please post a link?  It would be nice to get a Christmas present I actually wanted!

Here you go - only 1 left and a bit pricy!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0014FKNYS/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_dMwXEbZYWE3FS

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Please see below , £16.98 with postage 

Agreed the BPF is a must watch particularly as the footage of FAA Corsairs etc shows a complete mish mash of roundel etc.

https://www.simplyhe.com/products/a-sailors-view-complete-collection

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1