Saab 35 Draken STGB Chat

vppelt68

1 minute ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

They both sound excellent.   I'm seriously considering a two seat conversion of a Hasegawa kit using parts from the Heller kit. 

I would use the Maestro set on a Hasegawa kit except the canopy. For that I have a Heller part ;). 

3 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I would use the Maestro set on a Hasegawa kit except the canopy. For that I have a Heller part ;). 

I have the Maestro early tail cone set and the short intakes/early fin set in The Stash.  I can use those together with the spine and canopy from the Heller kit.   Of course, that's just for an Sk35C.   For a Danish TF-35 then (as far as I'm aware) I'd just need the Heller spine and canopy.  I haven't decided which I'll do yet.   Let's hope I don't decide on both!  :lol: 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I have the Maestro early tail cone set and the short intakes/early fin set in The Stash.  I can use those together with the spine and canopy from the Heller kit.   Of course, that's just for an Sk35C.   For a Danish TF-35 then (as far as I'm aware) I'd just need the Heller spine and canopy.  I haven't decided which I'll do yet.   Let's hope I don't decide on both!  :lol: 

Ah ha, mine will be a Sk35c :)

It's time to move my chosen kits from The Stash to The Ledge. 

I knew that I had three Hasegawa kits  and a double pack for the Austrian farewell schemes.

Add to that one each of the latest Hobby 2000 repops of the Hasegawa kit. 

So I pulled the Hasegawa double pack out of the darkest recesses of The Stash only to find that I have already built one of them.  To be honest that was a bit of a relief as I was concerned about sourcing decals for them all.   So basically that is six Hasegawa kits, of which four will make an appearance in this GB.  It leaves me with two in The Stash for future projects.

Oh...  by the way...   I have a Heller kit and two of the really old Revell ones, in Mistercraft boxes.   If I have the time, the Revell / Mistercraft kits might make appearances as fun builds in the Austrian farewell schemes.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

It's time to move my chosen kits from The Stash to The Ledge. 

I knew that I had three Hasegawa kits  and a double pack for the Austrian farewell schemes.

Add to that one each of the latest Hobby 2000 repops of the Hasegawa kit. 

So I pulled the Hasegawa double pack out of the darkest recesses of The Stash only to find that I have already built one of them.  To be honest that was a bit of a relief as I was concerned about sourcing decals for them all.   So basically that is six Hasegawa kits, of which four will make an appearance in this GB.  It leaves me with two in The Stash for future projects.

Oh...  by the way...   I have a Heller kit and two of the really old Revell ones, in Mistercraft boxes.   If I have the time, the Revell / Mistercraft kits might make appearances as fun builds in the Austrian farewell schemes.

So, in summary, you're going to... Build 'em all! :D 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I wanted to make an F4 machine, and in my naivety (I only build prop planes, time-averaged around 1920) thought any box could work. Now I’m sitting with the Hobby2000 J35F and learning that F4 only had D:s. Seems like I need to perform surgery on the canopy :o

Edited by Torbjorn

1 hour ago, Torbjorn said:

I wanted to make an F4 machine, and in my naivety (I only build prop planes, time-averaged around 1920) though any box could work. Now I’m sitting with the Hobby2000 J35F and learning that F4 only had D:s. Seems like I need to perform surgery on the canopy :o

You can do it!

• Haha 1

Well, hopefully I've collected the things I need- I've been meaning to do the "Christmas Present" for at least two years now- usually remember the idea about the start of Advent, which of course is far too late for seasonal timing.  So maybe I can make an early start this year...  48th, btw.

I've always liked the blue/green Swedish camo, from when I painted it very inaccurately on a Revell 1/72 when I were a lad.  And I should do a Finnish Draken.  But I've got the kit for the black "dragon" special paint job (though Hasegawa's decals leave something to be desired...)  Must resist Enzofication...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've began to plan my build, and I'm facing one big problem. I'm going to use Revell or Humbrol enamels, only, and out-of-the-tin colours, only. No acrylics, no mixing. Looks like I'm going to have to be happy with "close enough" paint scheme! Looks like Hu 77/116 over 175 is what IPMS Stockholm suggests :hmmm:. V-P

P.S. I have of course the Austrian all-grey scheme in my back pocket!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh I've just noticed this STGB and I have a bit of a plan... a couple of years back I came up with the idea "What it Spectrum from Captain Scarlet was founded in 1960 rather than 2060... what equipment would they use..." My first choice was the F-104 Spectrum Angel Starfighter:

Then of course after a couple of them crashed, they switched over to Spectrum Angel Mirage IIIs

But another vey obvious candidate would be a SAAB Draken! I picked up this kit a couple of years back so its been waiting in the stash for this opportunity...

37210_rd.jpg?m=1676817605

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Oh I've just noticed this STGB and I have a bit of a plan... a couple of years back I came up with the idea "What it Spectrum from Captain Scarlet was founded in 1960 rather than 2060... what equipment would they use..." My first choice was the F-104 Spectrum Angel Starfighter:

Gerry Anderson used both the Airfix Starfighter and Draken as the basis for futuristic jets in Thunderbirds.

• Like 2

I’m yet to post my entry into today’s starting Recce / Scouting GB and now this one opens up! When I did my personal GB participation list earlier this year, I didn’t jot this Draken STGB down, however I’m now on a bit of a Heller kit build roll and am thinking that perhaps I should dig out my version of this multi-version kit and bury my head into some relevant reference material. Let’s see what happens. 

Cheers and good luck to all.. Dave 

• Like 1

Good grief is this GB starting so soon!  This will be the fifth concurrent group build that I will be taking part in/following.  Its been a crazy, hectic start to the year.

AW

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Marklo said:

BBEBC083-4580-4261-A009-E463-D928-B2-C0.Another GB creeps up on us. I’m thinking I may attempt this scheme on my ageing Revell kit….

1) Paint it black

2) Cut and apply the yellow kabuki-tape to shape

3) Done!

Or do it the other way around, in which case you need to remove the tape after painting 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

Good grief is this GB starting so soon!  This will be the fifth concurrent group build that I will be taking part in/following.  Its been a crazy, hectic start to the year.

AW

I am another this has snuck up on Andrew, now to find the kit I have somewhere!

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

1) Paint it black

2) Cut and apply the yellow kabuki-tape to shape

3) Done!

The yellow first, there’s also a gnatty looking dragon on the sides of the fuselage. Also there does seem to be a gradient on the yellow :) 

• Like 1

That Hobby2000 box is taking way too much space in my stash (for real, what is wrong with those humongous boxes?) and this is the perect opportunity to see it go.

Has anyone made the classic camo using Mr Hobby Aqueous (or Tamiya XF) and could shed some light on what to add to my next order?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Has anyone made the classic camo using Mr Hobby Aqueous (or Tamiya XF)

No but I’d put Tamiya nato green and nato black, black green and either desert yellow or deck tan on the list if you’re going for the forest camo option.

AA08-C69-E-F804-468-A-B784-D4-DD1-AD51-F

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1