Wandering down to the Pool - a tower of Brachiosaurs

I guess you could call this a Dinorama as opposed to a Diorama.

I've used 7 of the Tamiya Educational prehistoric Brachiosaur parent and baby sets to come up with the display which is about 5.5 foot long x 1 foot wide. Although the parent kit has a choice of 2 different front leg poses to choose from, I wanted to ensure the herd looked as individual as possible so I made numerous alterations to each adult and baby. After a lot of cutting and filling, the end result provides 7 different neck, mouth, tail and leg poses and I could not resist a go at making the classic Jurassic Park Brachiosaur rearing up on it's hind legs; this took a lot of re-sculpting work but I think it hits the mark now. I've used a tree from the CollectA prehistoric tree collection but again making my own changes to it and adding external roots and a total repaint of the tree; it helps add a bit of scale to the diorama. Deluxe materials clear resin water effects were used for the pond water, mixed with a dash of acrylic olive green to give it a nice murky look. It is nice and easy to work with and settled well around the plant and lilies in the pond itself.

I know its not the norm, but thanks for looking in; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it (approx. 3 months in total over a 4 year period)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 2.49.19 PM (4)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 2.49.19 PM (3)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 2.49.19 PM (5)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 2.49.19 PM (6)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-01 at 2.49.20 PM

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.57 PM (1)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.57 PM (2)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.57 PM (3)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.57 PM (4)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.57 PM

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.58 PM (1)

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-11 at 4.38.58 PM

• Like 61
  • Thanks 2

Every so often, something a little left-field comes along and breaks up the monotony of the usual fare. This is just such a thing and is absolutely superb! A very enjoyable diversion from the norm.

Mark.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Every so often, something a little left-field comes along and breaks up the monotony of the usual fare. This is just such a thing and is absolutely superb! A very enjoyable diversion from the norm.

Mark.

Thank you very much for your kind words Mark

John

• Like 1

Hi Gimme, long time away but I return to this - WOW - as usual you've created an amazing spectacle. I've just restarted after a period of being too distracted by life to remember how good it is to just concentrate on something relaxing yet challenging... Truly an inspiration to us Dino fans!!!:dinosaur:

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:01 PM, Mrs PlaStix said:

Hi Gimme, long time away but I return to this - WOW - as usual you've created an amazing spectacle. I've just restarted after a period of being too distracted by life to remember how good it is to just concentrate on something relaxing yet challenging... Truly an inspiration to us Dino fans!!!:dinosaur:

Thank you Mrs P - I remember your model of the same very well and was an inspiration to start this off about 4 years ago or so

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:05 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Wow! That's different

Museum quality execution - well done sir!

TT

Many thanks TT

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:36 PM, Beefy said:

Your painting of each creature  is inspirational. 

cheers Paul - I may need you to help me lug this in and out of shows next year !

• Like 1

Brilliant work John,

It's a show stopper, a true 'catcher of the eye'.

I do like the what I presume are 'breeding colours' or maybe they are male/female differences in colour. Whatever, it's nice to see. There's no palaeontological evidence for 'drab' dinosaurs and with some of them being so large there'd have been no reason for camouflage, so bright colours might have been common.

I do worry for the safety of the 'lil uns' though.  Probably they behaved like Ostriches with all the young staying  together in creches? They'd have all been in a rush to get to the water though.

Rearguards,

Badder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this scene!!  The paintwork on the creatures is amazing and the whole scene comes together so well.  Great to see something 'different' that showcases skill and talent - more please!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely amazing!  I'm new to model building and I have a could of dinosaur models in my growing stash, my idea is to do a Jurasic Park theme, years after park was abandoned & a predator attacking herbivore scene.  I'm researching how to do dioramas and I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing with a new mobel builder your experience & if possible a basic list of what I'd need, shopping list if you will.  If you could/wouldn't mind messaging me it would be so much appreciated.  Thanks :)

Edited by Ailsa McVicar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 8:06 PM, Badder said:

There's no palaeontological evidence for 'drab' dinosaurs and with some of them being so large there'd have been no reason for camouflage, so bright colours might have been common.

I vaguely assumed that the dinosaurs all lived together until they died out 65 million years ago, so I reflexively imagine a Tyrannosaurus Rex jumping out of the giant fern bushes at them. However, I heard on a BBC Radio 4 science program that, by the time of T Rex, the brontosaurus had been extinct for so long it was already a fossil (collectively). T Rex is closer in time to the iPhone than to the brontosaurus!

• 5 months later...
On 8/11/2020 at 2:07 AM, EDCS87 said:

What a beautiful scene! It takes real talent to inject a sense of life like this into a diorama 

Thanks very much - I had completely forgotten I stuck these up on the diorama forum pages

On 7/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, Ailsa McVicar said:

This is absolutely amazing!  I'm new to model building and I have a could of dinosaur models in my growing stash, my idea is to do a Jurasic Park theme, years after park was abandoned & a predator attacking herbivore scene.  I'm researching how to do dioramas and I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing with a new mobel builder your experience & if possible a basic list of what I'd need, shopping list if you will.  If you could/wouldn't mind messaging me it would be so much appreciated.  Thanks :)

Thanks for the kind words. To best answer your questions, I have used basic modelling scenery materials along with some clear resin for the water. I just made it up as I went along really. I have also added some specific ferns which are plastic and some laser cut from paper. I used plaster for the base textures and normal military type scenic materials for the rocks and stones etc, then airbrushed them over in whatever colour shades I thought might look prehistoric enough.