2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Considering how your decals behaved I think you have done really well. To try and help cover up the out of register bits have you thought of using some of the black paint applied thinly to where the white bits are showing?

My thoughts exactly, just got to make sure I have a steady hand! 

• Like 1

I've managed to remove out of register marks on applied decals by very, very carefully running a new Xacto blade along the decal edge.

Just cut through the decal, not the paint, and certainly not through the plastic! Very, very carefully scrape away the bit you don't want. I use a No11 blade for the cut and a flat chisel blade for the removal bit. This works with silvered edges as well. It sounds a bit drastic, but with care it does work.

• Like 3

That's coming together very nicely. One of the disappointing things about the decals (apart from being out of register and uncooperative in releasing from the backing paper!) is that there are no big red rectangular-with-red-cross "no step" decals that go above the inboard radiators. They are there on the box art but not included in the kit, which is a shame. I put some Airfix ones on my Matchbox Mosquito and it made such a difference.

• Like 2

Well as Mike Dean reminded me was the omission of the warning markings on the upper wing surfaces of the radiators and he had used the ones with the Airfix Mosquito. So into the stash I dove and came back to the surface with the said Airfix kit, no such luck! So it was out with the trusty Hannants decal strip:

IMG_20200601_103928

At least also the satin varnish has turned up but its still too hot for paint😞

• Like 8

On 01/06/2020 at 15:54, Ruskin Air Services said:

Well as Mike Dean reminded me was the omission of the warning markings on the upper wing surfaces of the radiators and he had used the ones with the Airfix Mosquito. So into the stash I dove and came back to the surface with the said Airfix kit, no such luck!

Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I bought a job lot of decals from eBay and it turns out the ones I bought were from the most recent Dogfight Doubles kit  A50068. The Me.262 decals were missing from my set, so I didn't realise they were from a DD set and I didn't know that the warning marks weren't in the earlier Airfix kits. You can just see them in this listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-Airfix-Kit-A50068-Messerschmitt-Me262A-amp-De-Havilland-Mosquito-/313019217422

Your manufactured warning marks look spot on though. The finished article looks very good too. The swapped-in pilots look so much better. 

Mike.

19 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I bought a job lot of decals from eBay and it turns out the ones I bought were from the most recent Dogfight Doubles kit  A50068. The Me.262 decals were missing from my set, so I didn't realise they were from a DD set and I didn't know that the warning marks weren't in the earlier Airfix kits. You can just see them in this listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-Airfix-Kit-A50068-Messerschmitt-Me262A-amp-De-Havilland-Mosquito-/313019217422

Your manufactured warning marks look spot on though. The finished article looks very good too. The swapped-in pilots look so much better. 

Mike.

I made my first journey into town to get some model paint and several hours later realised I'd forgotten the filler and a fine point marker, DOH

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, Mike Dean said:

Mike.

I noticed that the really old Airfix mosquito had them but not the 1970's replacement