After the success of the Jaguar I though I'd crack on with another build. This one had been started a few months ago and had sat on the bench as a spectator. I'll see what result I can get from it also I don't want to steal Rafalbert's build elsewhere on this GB. It will be built as the Bix 105sqdn at Marham as I live only 10 miles from the place, so here goes. 

New project

Released from its tupperware tub of doom

New project

Well the matchbox crew weren't up to it so a couple of Airfix bods volunteered their services 

New project

This it so far, basic airframe assembled and the dangly bits painted aluminium 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great start.I can't hand on heart say I've built this kit,it does look familiar.

It comes from the matchbox era where fit wasn't their highest goal. Take this kit and put it against their norseman for moulding finesse the norseman wins hands down! 

• Like 1

This kit may be old and basic, but it is still the only mainstream kit of a Mosquito with two-stage engines in 1/72th scale.

Airfix have been to Salisbury Hall a number of times over the last few years (prototype W4050 and B(TT) 35 TA634 there are both fitted with two-stage engines, as is TJ138 just “down the road” at Hendon) and hopefully took full advantage of the opportunity for some discreet measuring and documenting of at least one of those airframes.  If they did maybe we can hope for at least one two-stage Mosquito in this year’s release programme (if it’s allowed to happen).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stever219 said:

This kit may be old and basic, but it is still the only mainstream kit of a Mosquito with two-stage engines in 1/72th scale.

Airfix have been to Salisbury Hall a number of times over the last few years (prototype W4050 and B(TT) 35 TA634 there are both fitted with two-stage engines, as is TJ138 just “down the road” at Hendon) and hopefully took full advantage of the opportunity for some discreet measuring and documenting of at least one of those airframes.  If they did maybe we can hope for at least one two-stage Mosquito in this year’s release programme (if it’s allowed to happen).

Maybe measuring up for the 1/24 kit as there are cut outs to be opened up on the leading edge of the wing for the relocated landing lights in the later marks. 

1 hour ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Maybe measuring up for the 1/24 kit as there are cut outs to be opened up on the leading edge of the wing for the relocated landing lights in the later marks. 

Thanks for that; I hadn’t noticed.  NF 36 maybe?

Cracked on a little bit more today decided to build up the nacelles first and assemble the undercarriage separately 

A little further on

Then with a bit of luck, insert the undercarriage if this didn't work I would have to result to a wheels up build! 

A little further on

Well the luck of the gods is with me, success! 

A little further on

Now it's beginning to look like a Mosquito now, but it's too hot for painting😕

A little further on

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

I think B35/TT35 the same mark as used 633 & Mosquito Squadron films 

I’d really like one of those (thinks:  PR. 34 conversion!) but using the FB.  VI as a basis you need a new front fuselage and cockpit, two stage engines with extended cowlings and deepened bomb bay but it would be so nice!

42 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The black finish looks great.

I think I'll start using satin black for any future night bomber builds. Did start the masking and painting of the camouflage colours and only now realised I haven't taken any images, Doh!! 

Edited by Ruskin Air Services
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

After yet another day of hot weather and trying to get paint on the upper surfaces my patience finally paid off 🌞

Your Mosquito looks great, especially that satin black finish.

Unfortunately for me, the warm weather has meant gardening duties to the fore - hopefully get some time on Thursday to get back to my bench. 😐

• Haha 1

Very impressive result for a Matchbox kit!

Keep on impressing us!!!

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Very impressive result for a Matchbox kit!

Keep on impressing us!!!

JR

I'll try and get the decals on tomorrow between decorating sessions. Hopefully my new jar of satin finish will turn up to finish off. BTW next project is inbound from my stash in the loft! This is the best furlough remedy going! Also thanks Jean for words of encouragement 

Edited by Ruskin Air Services
  • Like 1

Decals on, but what a palaver. Seeing that there was only 12 decals and only 8 needed. That's when the fun started, while waiting for the decals to release from their backing papers (I do two at a time) strange things happened the decals refused to release and the paper started to breakdown. So after coaxing the decal off the paper I had to wash the blue sludge off under a trickling tap then apply to the model, only then did I find that they were out of register! Double drat mutley! 

IMG_20200528_132601

This was after one decal application! But it hasn't turned out bad

IMG_20200528_164249

IMG_20200528_164310

• Like 6