Revell F-86D Saber Dog-FINISHED!

Update on the bare metal, after the black base dried and cured, I sprayed several light coats of Alclad Aluminum.

49927492372_4be9232c01_c.jpg

I let that dry for a day then the fun begins.... masking.

49926672698_86bc6e9cf2_c.jpg

49926672728_ac2cf551d3_c.jpg

49926672688_e271739bdf_c.jpg

Gradually using White aluminum and Magnesium on individual panels. The wings and center of the tail I used Dull Aluminum

49927492352_65a5299b97_c.jpg

The colours gave too much a a difference in the panels so a general light dusting coat overall to tone down the differences.

49927492297_a0160cab8c_c.jpg

49926672713_3c4fe69fcd_c.jpg

I'll let these dry for a bit then before masking and painting the nose and anti-glare shield.

• Like 6

Heres a question for my colleagues, I'm about to apply deals before going further and I noticed  on a image of the F-86 I doing. On the tail above stripes the metal appears to be a different colour from the rest. Now being black and white image can't tell if its a painted stripe or a different colour of metal.

49931071528_3f46523ed5_b.jpg

Of course I also realised I used the wrong vent on the fuselage. Too late now. But if anyone has any thoughts on the stripe would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

Pale grey over a portion of fibreglass: the top of the rudder too. The black area is neoprene to protect the fibreglass leading edge from erosion . The actual fin cap (topmost, forward-most part) is aluminium. It's an odd angle, but this period colour shot shows it well:

x1

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Easy part now done. Nose painted, Anti-glare shield done and tail corrected thank to the information from Sabrejet. Added the wheels so I don't have to keep propping it up on something while it dries. All the movement sacrificed the pitot tube to the model Gods, but its an easy fix. I'll deal with that at the end.

49939262378_d1f95d866a_c.jpg

Upon looking at the decals, they were a bit yellowed so I stuck them under the UV lamp for a few hours to clean them up and applied 2-3 coats of clear lacquer because I don't trust them.

49939262413_630960c366_c.jpg

That little unit has paid for itself.

• Like 3

But the downside of the lacquer is that I have to trim ALL the stencils as close as possible. Two days later, With the exception Yellow flare stripes and the canopy decals They are all added. One of the canopy decals I'll have to print out. The kit came with the pilots name on both sides. I redid the right side and changed the name to the Crew Chief A2C P.Hutting. Again many thanks Sabrejet. I wouldn't have known that information and just gone with what was in the kit.

49939777241_4583667fc2_c.jpg

49940076017_9aeedbe262_c.jpg

After these decals set and dry I'll give the aircraft several clear coats to seal, enhance the panel lines a little  then finish up that last bits before dullcoating  the anti- glare shield.

• Like 6

My father told me many years ago that when these aircraft were at Manston he was involved with the design and application of the coloured lance  down the side. He was an ex RAF finisher working as a civilian on the base at the top of my village. I was unaware that these decals were available as I have one in the stash just for this very scheme be it 512th 13th or 14th.

Keith

2 hours ago, Britman said:

My father told me many years ago that when these aircraft were at Manston he was involved with the design and application of the coloured lance  down the side. He was an ex RAF finisher working as a civilian on the base at the top of my village. I was unaware that these decals were available as I have one in the stash just for this very scheme be it 512th 13th or 14th.

Keith

Keith,

I think he was probably involved with the 513th/514th lightning bolt. The 'lance' (or harpoon as the USAF folks described it) originated with the 87th at Bentwaters and superseded the lightning bolt design on the Manston F-86Ds.

• Like 1

Incidentally, with Academy reissuing the R-M F-86D I hope that someone will do a corrected decal set with '110 in its later guise with John Ruettgers' name on the LH canopy rail and Pete's on the RH. Ruettgers, being a Californian, also had a bear painted on the LH side:

52-10110 (4)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Keith,

I think he was probably involved with the 513th/514th lightning bolt. The 'lance' (or harpoon as the USAF folks described it) originated with the 87th at Bentwaters and superseded the lightning bolt design on the Manston F-86Ds.

Thanks for that. I wish I could discuss it further with him as it would have been some thirty years or so since I would have spoken with him about these things. He is not about unfortunately any more so these discussions are very useful .

Keith

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Britman said:

Thanks for that. I wish I could discuss it further with him as it would have been some thirty years or so since I would have spoken with him about these things. He is not about unfortunately any more so these discussions are very useful .

Keith

Keith,

I fully understand what you mean: I'm currently researching my wife's grandfather, who was taken prisoner shortly after Dunkirk and spent the war as a POW. I did get some recollections from him before he passed away in 2006 but only now have I begun to look at the Battalion War Diary and have so  many more questions I wish I'd asked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the decals on and another coat of lacquer, I used some acrylic art paint and IPA to make a wash for the panel lines.

49943046388_a1275823fa_c.jpg

I didn't quite let it dry before removing with a dampens cotton bud to remove the excess.

49943046383_0cef01c635_c.jpg

I probably should have done this BEFORE the decals the effect worked on most areas except on a few of the larger decals. Protective coating worked too well and had to add a little more to correct the error.

also because of using the wrong vents the stripes are a little harder to cover and will take some smoke and mirrors to fix.😎

• Like 1

49943555311_dfb69e561f_c.jpg

Otherwise turned out pretty good, all things considered.

In doing the canopy I was trying to come up with an easy way to do the lines on the inside of the canopy without having to paint them freehand and making a big mess.

Pondering for a while a realized that the lines were the same size as .010 rod. now glue would make a big fat mess and that wouldn't do.so..... I since I had already coated with Kleer(Future) I cut pieces of rod and attached with a coating of Kleer. Kinda the same Idea as attaching P/E in non-critical spots. It's a delicate arraignment, but since it's delicate and not subject to stress should be ok. Plus side NO GLUE MARKS or finger prints! I have enough of those on this build.

49943555331_894d95b5fe_c.jpg

49943555346_b1bc69df4e_c.jpg

49943555351_1dd8caaa58_c.jpg

49943555311_dfb69e561f_c.jpg

I did get part of the pitot tube made, still have the tip to attach and the drop tanks.,dullcoat the things that need to be dull give it a check over to make sure i haven't forgotten anything. then it off to RFI. But this is all for tonight 

If you have any questions or comments let me know.

• Like 4

And as the sun slowly sinks in the east,... or is it west? Our little jaunt is about over.

The last bits added and high  lighted.Dull coat to the anti glare panel and center wing panels.Had to repair the nose gear, While out shopping one of the animals knocked around and snapped it off at the oleo. Has a slight lean to port.

I did print out the starboard canopy decal with the corrected name of the crew chief instead of the pilot.

49945713253_c357cef938_c.jpg

49946506467_e8926b51de_c.jpg

49945713168_2768eb3a00_c.jpg

Thanks to everyone following along and especially to sabrejet who provided me with correct information on the crew chief. For an OOB build it's been quite fun.The fit and detail are not the ordinary Revell offering.

I hope you all enjoyed this little diversion and I welcome all comments, critiques, and suggestions. you can find more final images over in the RFI.

Have a great day All!

• Like 2

• LorenSharp changed the title to Revell F-86D Saber Dog-FINISHED!