Revell F-86D Saber Dog-FINISHED!

A little quick diversion that Swear is going to be OOB.I have another one but that's going on a Interceptor GB later in the year. THat one I'll stuff everything I can into. But back to the present. Revell's 1/48 -F-86D Saber Dog. I acquired both it and its mate off of Evilbay some years ago by accident. I had bid on two different kits covering my bases in case I was out bid on one(I wasn't) And had them both in storage together so when I retrieved to prep for the GB I discovered both in the same bag. rather than leave one there I brought both home. I had intended to build one and place the other back into storage later, but I thought, dealing with the Magnesium Overcast for almost a year(Has it been that long?) I needed something different to build and besides the  big bomber needs an chase plane/interceptor to practice with. I've prattled on long enough, lets begin:

49910864896_a0ff8146db_c.jpg

Most revues gave the model high marks for detail and fit . We'll see..

It doesn't help that the pictures I took with initial assembly of the cockpit I've managed to lose So I guess I'll start with showing the tub built. Surprisingly delicate parts But panels flat black and highlighted with sliver,gray and red.The dials I did use a drop of Future to simulate lenses.

49910347393_b837328dfe_c.jpg

The intake did go together really nice, just a little bit of a pass with a sand stick to remove what lines there were and the seat harness was painted rather than my usual folded masking tape. See I can do OOB.

• Like 2

Nice choice, Loren!  It is a great kit.  However, those slat tracks sure do like to break off.

Is that “The Child” I see in the background? 😍 Where did you find that?

David

At least there is plenty of room up front for counter weights. I did have to deviate form straight build to add a panel in front of the tub to hold the weights

49910347358_ef61600890_c.jpg

MY usual process for preventing a tailsitter is to add a layer of children' putty. I'ts malleable and never dries out or goes hard. also has  benefit of acting like a noise blanket to keep the weights from rattling. For the weights I've gotten away from fishing lead to using

airgun BB's . They're about 4-5mm in size which lets them fit into all kinds of nooks and crannies and a box of 2400 lasts a long time. Plus its cheaper than fishing weight and not as toxic.Once the cavity is filled I cap it off with more putty. I'll leave the nose off just yet until I get the wings on and can verify the balance is correct.

url=https://flic.kr/p/2j3pzpN]49910347328_473d074417_c.jpg

Putting the halves together there is a small gap at the front,my fault, I read where waiting to put the side panels on the instrument cluster until after gluing the fuselage together will prevent this.

49911164132_dc4b8c7c7b_c.jpg

49911164177_2eebdf97b0_c.jpg

49910867561_b98360d822_c.jpg

Still I didn't have to use much filler. I'll let this dry, then add the wings to check the balance before proceeding further.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Nice choice, Loren!  It is a great kit.  However, those slat tracks sure do like to break off.

Is that “The Child” I see in the background? 😍 Where did you find that?

David

Astute observation. A little side project for my niece who's a teacher and a star wars fan. Found it on thingyverse and printed it out. I think its titled "Baby Yoda Coronavirus" took about 12 hours to print.

49912980257_fe437c152a_c.jpg

Of course in background is "Smiling Venom Buddha"  for luck

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Astute observation. A little side project for my niece who's a teacher and a star wars fan. Found it on thingyverse and printed it out. I think its titled "Baby Yoda Coronavirus" took about 12 hours to print.

That’s awesome! I think that might have to be my first subject when I get a 3D printer!

Oh, yes, your progress looks good too.

David

• Thanks 1

While the fuselage filler set I started on the wings

49913054961_11eba05f35_c.jpg

49912538108_0afdcc6d7f_c.jpg

Fairly straightforward even as far as mounting wing to the fuselage. Really good fit, I'll have to use a tiny bit of filler. knock on wood this has been the easiest build I've had in years.

49913055021_ca7f7f89c0_c.jpg

49912538113_2bb68c52af_c.jpg

49913055036_6669e30bb7_c.jpg

The nose is probably the worst area so far just a little bit off at the base of the intake. I did my balance test and it passed.

And then I fell off the wagon. Didn't like the landing light. exchanged the clear plastic piece for with a stick on kids jewel. I'll punch out a plastic lens cover after I paint it.  It will make masking easier. I'm all about easy right now.😉

But THAT is all the modifications I'm going to do... Honest.

49912538153_f548cabf7a_c.jpg

I'll let this set for a few hours then sand down and polish before adding the primer/filler then gloss black base coat.

I want to experiment with Alclad Shading,picking out individual panels So there you are. Until later any comments, suggestions, or ideas feel free to shout them out.

• Like 2

Hello Loren !!

Great build for sure, I like the -D and you make her justice !!

See, OOB is now totally impossible for us, and there is no cure for that !!

I'm glad to see that the Revell kit is so good !!

I'll make a Sharmouthed one, the other one will receive a special marking...

The kind of markings with a big breasted creature...

I'll follow, if you don't mind it !

Sincerely.

CC

30 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Great work so far, and it looks to be quite a clean well detailed kit. may have to dig about on the bay for one of these if i ever finish this Su-7! 

I' was both pleased and surprised If it hadn't have said Revel on the box I wouldn't have believed it. Should still be able to find it resonably priced.

21 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Loren !!

Great build for sure, I like the -D and you make her justice !!

See, OOB is now totally impossible for us, and there is no cure for that !!

I'm glad to see that the Revell kit is so good !!

I'll make a Sharmouthed one, the other one will receive a special marking...

The kind of markings with a big breasted creature...

I'll follow, if you don't mind it !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, But I'll wait until finished. I am astonished that the kit really doesn't need a whole lot to modify. It's got a lot of fine panel lines and more than your average detailing already and it's not a ProModeller. Hmmmmm lets see, '53-55 Jayne Mansfield should do I think. You are most welcome to tag along This is just a fun little build thatI want to try out some Alclad Experimenting on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alclad !! Mmmmh I love it...

But be carefull that Missus is outside for a while...

It smell !! I love that smell but you know that I'm a bit weird !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I think its titled "Baby Yoda Coronavirus" took about 12 hours to print.

How did i miss this!!! :D definitley will be putting that on to print on one of the idle machines this afternoon

17 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Should still be able to find it reasonably priced.

Got my eye on a few already ;) depending on how a couple of speculative bids do, it may move from my 'Watch list' to my purchase history! 

After sanding down all the added glazing compound as sooth as I could  I sprayed Alcad's micro filler and primer. Of course that means MORE sanding because I didn't get everything as smooth as I should have.

49916850462_1951b6c236_c.jpg

49916550476_774b2863b8_c.jpg

More sanding, more filling, wash, rinse, repeat. Reason being, as we all have found out, silver ,does not hide a multitude of sins. If any thing it amplifies and shout them out at the top of its lungs. And leather lungs they are!

Conventional wisdom recommends ever finer wet or dry till the surface is shiny like glass somewhere in the neighborhood of 12k grit. I'm not going that far. One reason, this time of year no matter how hard you try because of pollen plus a couple of cats in the house dust is abominable.So I'm going as far as 3k grit wet or dry. The other  even though my airbrush is set at low pressure, I will still have a slight texture. This could be smoothed out with a finer grit cloth or polishing compound like Novus 1 and 2, but for this experiment I going to use this slight texture to my advantage and see what I can come up with. After the Primer had set I sprayed the entire model with Alclad Gloss black base. Because of humidity due to rain showers its going to take a couple of days to dry hard, so I'm placing the model under a bowl to keep the dust from settling on the tacky surface. Once hard,then we start spaying metal.

49916850507_54ee6e68eb_c.jpg

Until that's ready I'm going back to the B-36 and apply foil to the wing so I can get that finished up

• Like 4

Great job Loren,

Even the real thing were not as smooth as it is usually said !!

B-36 ?? and foiled up ?? you're a daredevil... !! 

Mine is the stash for some month...

I did'nt have the place to display it..😐

Sincerely.

CC

21 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Great job Loren,

Even the real thing were not as smooth as it is usually said !!

B-36 ?? and foiled up ?? you're a daredevil... !! 

Mine is the stash for some month...

I did'nt have the place to display it..😐

Sincerely.

CC

You know me CC No guts, not glory, and certifiable to boot.😜

20 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice work: a late/late Dog then. What colour scheme are you going for? As others have said above, the F-86D series are Revell-Monogram's finest work.

Since its trying to be an OOB  512th FIS,405th  FIW RAF Burtonwood UK 1958. F-86D-NA, 52-10110 Col. M.J. Quirk CO

• Like 1

Aha. Nice one. It'll actually be 512th FIS from Sembach AB in Germany, having just moved there from Woodbridge (it was displayed at Burtonwood's Armed Forces Day). CO at that time was John J Ruettgers: Mike Quirk returned to the US in 1956, which is when John Ruettgers replaced him. I have some photos of '110 I'll post.

2 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Aha. Nice one. It'll actually be 512th FIS from Sembach AB in Germany, having just moved there from Woodbridge (it was displayed at Burtonwood's Armed Forces Day). CO at that time was John J Ruettgers: Mike Quirk returned to the US in 1956, which is when John Ruettgers replaced him. I have some photos of '110 I'll post.

Figures Revell would get its specs wrong. I appreciate the info Thanks Sabrejet.

4 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Figures Revell would get its specs wrong. I appreciate the info Thanks Sabrejet.

In fact it's the date that's wrong: it was at Burtonwood in May 1956 at around the time Mike Quirk departed the squadron. So it would have still had his markings and canopy name ("LtCol MJ Quirk"). I can't guarantee the crew chief name on the RH canopy rail but for most of its life it was "A2C P Hutting". 512th FIS (as part of 406th FIW) was based at Bentwaters and later moved to Woodbridge while runway work was being carried out at the former. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is from Burtonwood's 1956 Armed Forces Day:

Note that the fuselage bands don't go all the way round the bottom of the fuselage. '110 also has the black fuselage underside from nose gear door aft (anti-corrosion).

This colour photo is really poor but shows some nice colour details, including red pitot tube and Pete Hutting's name on the canopy rail:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

This one is from Burtonwood's 1956 Armed Forces Day:

Note that the fuselage bands don't go all the way round the bottom of the fuselage. '110 also has the black fuselage underside from nose gear door aft (anti-corrosion).

This colour photo is really poor but shows some nice colour details, including red pitot tube and Pete Hutting's name on the canopy rail:

I'll have to see if I can fix that. The decals have the Col.'s name on both sides

This gives an idea of the black underside: starts on the nose gear door and extended on most aircraft just aft of the main gear doors. On a few aircraft it tapered away all the way back to the jetpipe. You can JUST about make out the black on the main gear doors.

Dog 512th 2

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Thanks 1