Italeri / AMT P-40E Kittyhawk in 1/48 Scale

Hello all;

Here's my latest completion.  Flown by S/Ldr E. M. Mason on 15th February 1942 on his last sortie.  I've taken some artistic license with the aircraft codes, electing to code his aircraft E M rather than using the FZ squadron code No. 94 Squadron was using at that time.  As far as I'm aware there aren't any pictures of Mason's aircraft - the squadron having been issued the Kittyhawks only two week prior.  I may be right, I may be wrong but I think this marking suitably commemorates his final aircraft.

I tried to replicate a hurriedly field applied paint scheme.  For reasons of preference, and because it's possible, I painted the underside in Neutral Gray as opposed to light blue.  Admittedly it was possibly more likely to have been blue, but there's evidence (photographic mostly - see the main site for explanation) it could have been NG.  Besides, I like being a bit different.  There's very little weathering as this airframe had only a couple of weeks' use before being lost.

Known issues include: the canopy moved around during the photo shoot; the three way connection for the antenna lines isn't very clean; it bugs me that there's the tiniest bend in the gunsight!  Otherwise comments and observations are most welcome.

Cheers;

Mark.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

Lovely job, Mark. You really shouldn't beat yourself up on what you perceive to be errors. If you hadn't mentioned them I wouldn't have noticed. Still can't see the bend in the gun sight.:D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice build, Mark; you did a stunning job on likely my favorite kit.  As Vinnie said, I can't see the bend in the gun site.  And I wish my aerials came out as well as yours.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

I have literally just started this self same kit and your model is a real stunner. Love it.

Can I ask though,

Did you have problems with the fit of the engine cowl inserts?

Did you replace the exhausts with an aftermarket item?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Did you have problems with the fit of the engine cowl inserts?

Did you replace the exhausts with an aftermarket item?

Hi Gordon;

I did have a little trouble with the inserts, but patient dry fitting/adjust/repeat and I got them in ok with a little Mr. Surfacer to make a clean seam.

The exhausts are kit parts; I did drill them out but otherwise they're stock.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Cheers;

Mark.

• Like 1