My take on Tamiya's P-38F/G Release

This is probably the most popular kit released recently and I've finally got around to finishing my build. Went for aftermarket decals because the two markings offered from the box are pretty dull to my eyes.

Skidoo was a P-38H, meaning it was in the later darker OD compared to the F/G series but otherwise differed only in internal systems and having bomb-capable hardpoints. I used XF-3 to lighten the highlight coat over standard Tamiya OD, then used yellow and white oil paints post-decals to add additional fading. 

This was a fabulous kit to build - absolutely flawless engineering on a really challenging shape from Tamiya here. Just incredible how it goes together. Was also an interesting experiment with weathering an Olive Drab scheme as I haven't done one before and making such a monotone upper surface look interesting on something as big as a 1/48th scale P-38 was a bit daunting. Anyway, hope you like the result!

spacer.png

spacer.png4

spacer.png

spacer.png

britflyer_200322_5e77c6cb366d6-1600x1200

Cheers for your time!

Justin

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Great build, Justin, and nice job of weathering it.  It looks a tad bit too shiny to my eyes in your photos, so if you dull down that finish I think it will really make your weathering stand out.  But that's just me!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is very impressive!

Everything, from the patina of the finish, to the subtle shading, to the weathering & staining looks perfect.

Thank for letting us see it.

:clap:

I would love for Tamiya to release a 1/72 kit of this.

• Thanks 1

Very nice Justin!!!!  I normally do not build 48th scale but I may have to make an exception for this superbly engineered kit in due time.  Your comments mirror that of others who have tried this kit.  Your results are as outstanding as the kit is itself!!!!!!!  :clap2:

Mike

• Thanks 1