USN Pensacola Naval Air Museum Reserve Collection and Blue Angels

As a follow on to @F-32 Tony's excellent recent photo report on his visit to the Pensacola US Naval Aviation Museum, I thought that some of you might be interested to see some of the reserve collection, and aircraft being refurbished in the Pensacola storage areas, which I was fortunate to visit when we went there in 2017. The day of our visit also coincided with the Blue Angels homecoming display, that marked the end of their 2017 airshow season. On with the show.

IMG_6543a_edited_1(1).jpg

A-4A 137813/AJ-301 in the markings of VA-83

IMG_6574a_edited_1(1).jpg

SH-3D 156484/SH-60  formerly  of HSL-3.

IMG_6572a_edited_1(1).jpg

EC-121K Warning Star 143221/MH-3 named Brenda.

IMG_6571a_edited_2(1).jpg

T-2C 157058/A-967 ex of VT-9

IMG_6561a_edited_1(1).jpg

Former Blue Angels TC-130G 'Fat Albert' 151891

IMG_6554a_edited_1(1).jpg

CH-37C 148564/YF-9 in the markings of HMRM-461.

IMG_6544a1_edited_1(1).jpg

T-34C Turbo Mentor 161842/E-1842 previously assigned to TAW-5

5A5A6561a_edited_1(1).jpg

In the background can be seen PBY-5A 46602

5A5A6545a_edited_1(1).jpg

S-2E Tracker 151647/AW-334 ex of VS-73.

5A5A6543a_edited_1(1).jpg

E-1B 148146/AE-711 formerly from VAW-121.

5A5A6535a_edited_1(1).jpg

F-9J 131230/O-401 in the markings of VF-81

5A5A6510a_edited_1(1).jpg

A rather weathered SP-2H Neptune 141234/PG-6

5A5A6508a_edited_1(1).jpg

F-14A Tomcat 162710/AD-266 once of VF-101

5A5A6506a_edited_1(1).jpg

UH-34D 150227/YL-42 

5A5A6552a_edited_1(1).jpg

5A5A6528a_edited_1(1).jpg

To finish off, here's a few shots of the Blue Angels USN Display Team at their homecoming airshow at Pensacola on Oct 24th 2017

blue_angels_edited_1(1).jpg

blue_angels_2(1).jpg

IMG_6686a_edited_1(1).jpg

And lastly, a photograph of a current resident at Pensacola NAS. T-45C Goshawk 163606/F-624 from the based VT-86.

5A5A6629a_edited_2.jpg

Hope these have been of interest and thanks again to @F-32 for the inspiration.  

Mark

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Gentlemen, many thanks for the kind comments and likes. You can't beat a Florida sky for the airshow shots. Seeing the Blue Angels performing at their home station in front of their local fans and families was a rare treat.

Mark

15 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Great selection, thanks for sharing!

I noticed in the background of the E-1B shot what appears to be an F-16N -;any chance you have a clearer pic you might share?

Hi there,

I don't have a clear side on shot as it was behind barriers, but the image beneath is as good as I could get. I can confirm though it is an F-16N, serial logged as 163572. coded 23 and ex of VF-45.

5A5A6549a1.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Thank you posting these images!   Visiting the museum at Pensacola is still on my bucket list (as is Yeovilton).

Regarding the Blue Angels images, in the sun behind you during their performance? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

Thank you posting these images!   Visiting the museum at Pensacola is still on my bucket list (as is Yeovilton).

Regarding the Blue Angels images, in the sun behind you during their performance? 

Thanks John!  As I recall the sun was behind my right shoulder when these shots were taken which was late morning.  It is indeed a fine museum which I would wholeheartedly recommend.

Mark

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Are some of the aircraft in sorta flyable condition? I know the navy doesn't let them fly.

I don't think they are flyable without major restorations. Some of the outdoor exhibits have been there for many years and the elements are starting to take their toll.

Mark

• Thanks 1

These are great, the storage area wasn't open when I visited, so these make up for it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's just me, but in that first Blue Angels picture, the planes look dirty, especially #7, the two-seater. It really stands out. I thought they had more pride in themselves and the Navy than to let an airplane go on display looking like that.  Don't take my comment as a reflection on your photography. Your work is most excellent. 

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

@SAT69 possibly because the aircraft spends most of it's time positioned 'in the slot'?

The number 7 airplane is usually not flown in the slot position and is more normally used to give VIP rides and is transportation for the narrator as I recall. The #4 airplane, a single-seater, usually flies in the slot position. #7 in the photo looks unwashed, especially on the top of the wings. Jet demonstration aircraft are usually kept in near mint condition, especially when they're on the road doing performances. Please keep in mind it's been some years since I've seen an airshow performance of either the Thunderbirds or the Blue Angels and "maybe" the standards have changed, but the appearance of the planes in your picture caught me by surprise.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Are some of the aircraft in sorta flyable condition? I know the navy doesn't let them fly.

Definitely not. Almost all of those in outdoor storage have been there since at least 2002 when I had the chance to get a close look at them. The older ones were already in pretty rough shape at that time. Hurricane Ivan also did a good amount of damage to a number of the outdoor aircraft in 2004.

I think that the only ones that would theoretically have a chance would be those that landed and more or less immediately got towed into one of the buildings. The VX-23 EA-6B comes to mind.

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

Definitely not. Almost all of those in outdoor storage have been there since at least 2002 when I had the chance to get a close look at them. The older ones were already in pretty rough shape at that time. Hurricane Ivan also did a good amount of damage to a number of the outdoor aircraft in 2004.

I think that the only ones that would theoretically have a chance would be those that landed and more or less immediately got towed into one of the buildings. The VX-23 EA-6B comes to mind.

I just know the navy doesn't allow their planes to be flown after retirement. They always do something to them. I guess being a museum, they don't get much help for parts or repairs needed for planes that got damaged. Planes don't like to sit outside much like most things.

• 3 weeks later...