An old pussycat

Maybe it’s time I start a build here, considering i brought the topic up.

Im soooo dissappointed - My precious van is still MIA so i have resigned myself to considering it lost in the post. 😔

As a plan B I will build an ebay buy from quite some months back. The same Airfix Jag as built by @Ruskin Air Services

49910282242_eea79b1403_h.jpg

I remember building this after buying it from my LHS. Rushing home with it in a clear plastic bag on the handle of my raleigh bmx biking as fast as i could. I dont remember much about the build except that the undercarriage was tricky but looked purposeful and that i considered the build one of the better ones i’d made. 

I currently intend to build it without too much attention to detail and without accuracy considerations and just have a fun kid-like build, with the exception of using an airbrush. 

Seeing the kit again it seems so much smaller than i remember.
The panels lines are raised and soft. I’m coming from a state of the art eduard kit to this its quite an extreme jump.

This example seems complete and the decals look very usable...

49909464408_ed142861c0_h.jpg

.. if a little out of registration.

49909464173_d73df81e6f_h.jpg

Old skool airfix instructions i LOVE

49909464438_c9da39b651_h.jpg

I’ve made a start painting all the black bits.
I always used to do all cockpits black as a kid and get rid of the pilots as they were too tricky to paint. 

This should be a fun one!

49909982696_88d7e55405_h.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

This going to be interesting. 54 or 6sqdn?

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Has to be 6 Sqn surely!

A great choice Paul, even if its not the van you wanted to build and I think an OOTB kid style approach will do you the world of good.

Seconded. Has to be the Flying Tin-Openers!

• Like 2

I don't have my original to hand, but differences to the first issue include nose, tail top and stores. The original had four radar guided missiles If memory is correct.

I can remember the modified kit coming out but never got one. One thing that really impressed me was the red decals for the centerline tank. I thought Airfix were really moving up a gear with stuff like that!

23 hours ago, Dansk said:

Maybe it’s time I start a build here, considering i brought the topic up.

Im soooo dissappointed - My precious van is still MIA so i have resigned myself to considering it lost in the post. 😔

As a plan B I will build an ebay buy from quite some months back. The same Airfix Jag as built by @Ruskin Air Services

49910282242_eea79b1403_h.jpg

I remember building this after buying it from my LHS. Rushing home with it in a clear plastic bag on the handle of my raleigh bmx biking as fast as i could. I dont remember much about the build except that the undercarriage was tricky but looked purposeful and that i considered the build one of the better ones i’d made. 

I currently intend to build it without too much attention to detail and without accuracy considerations and just have a fun kid-like build, with the exception of using an airbrush. 

Seeing the kit again it seems so much smaller than i remember.
The panels lines are raised and soft. I’m coming from a state of the art eduard kit to this its quite an extreme jump.

This example seems complete and the decals look very usable...

49909464408_ed142861c0_h.jpg

.. if a little out of registration.

49909464173_d73df81e6f_h.jpg

Old skool airfix instructions i LOVE

49909464438_c9da39b651_h.jpg
I’ve made a start painting all the black bits.
I always used to do all cockpits black as a kid and get rid of the pilots as they were too tricky to paint. 

Jaguar cockpits are black (the forward half of the jets were built by the French, go figure!).

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Didn't this start life as a kit of the prototype, then they had to modify it? Looking forward to seeing this get stuck together!

Regards,

Adrian

It did, short fin, no RWR installation, unstepped tailplane trailing edges, no LRMTS “chisel” nose, no spine-mounted heat exchanger and some exciting but spurious underwing stores “shapes” but who cared?  It was a kit of one of the RAF’s newest jets and, back then, nearly anything still seemed just about possible (apart from a reborn TSR 2).

Hi Paul

Great choice, I accidentally took a photo of a Jaguar in Gibraltar recently whilst taking a selfie, the Jaguar is to the right of me above the big building.

20190704_152120

Good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Thanks for the ref Pat, you’re a bit shorter than i imagined.

The Jag funnily enough is at the same distance away aswhere my finished model will look good too 😄

• Haha 2

This old glass was joined at a very awkward place to the tree. 

49919812338_eb6653ce61_b.jpg

Im resisting doing anything major to this kit, its supposed to be fast fun and innocent.

But a spot of sanding and polishing and it was gone.

49920327591_2aa64dc410_h.jpg

The canopy’s join is placed better.... just.

49920327596_7d2a19d0e0_b.jpg

Something that did need attention was the wings to fuselage joins so thry been puttied and sanded

But again all in moderation its just a big one that needed fixing.

49920327586_97e876a75c_b.jpg

The front glazing to fuselage join is way off and thats a biggie to fix so im not worried about that one, it would require major surgery to the fuselage so its staying!

Its had a primer coat warts and all, just gotta kill that hair at the front.

49920327601_ba7ff66f5a_b.jpg

Its quite a revelation building this kit again.

Theres a handful of parts that go together easily in no time and just so simple and fun to throw together in an afternoon and enjoy.Its kinda fun building that way and not getting hung up with anything. Just like when i was a kid 👍
right lets slap some paint on this!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Good of you to get yourself smartened up for the picture Pat, top effort!

I think its safe to say Mrs Jockney is looking forward to the barbers reopening 

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thanks for the ref Pat, you’re a bit shorter than i imagined.

The Jag funnily enough is at the same distance away aswhere my finished model will look good too 😄

Yes I apologise for my lack of attire, the kilt was in the wash, fortunately my sporran is hairy enough to cover the bare essentials, and holds your car keys ! 😉

To return to the aircraft.... Looking great 👍

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

You can see why I posed the canopy open! That sprue gate on the windscreen was bad didn't have that on mine. Just shows how much wear on the mould there has been, there's probably 10-15 years between our kits manufacturing dates

21 minutes ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

You can see why I posed the canopy open! That sprue gate on the windscreen was bad didn't have that on mine. Just shows how much wear on the mould there has been, there's probably 10-15 years between our kits manufacturing dates

Your airbrakes open was a good call too. I closed mine and the fit is a little relaxed. Its all good - part of the charm 😉

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

She really has come together quickly and nicely Paul.

Great fix on the front glazing, I wouldn't have thought that such a mark would have polished out so nicely.

Paint should be on by now! :) 

Thanks Craig. The glass i did a course grain sanding stick working down to 1000, 3000, 5000 grit, then tamiya polishing compound on a q tip. Worked a treat.

pyjamas on now not paint 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The jaguars bottom has been masked. Im going to use this kit as a guinea pig to test the creation of the upper camo pattern airbrushing by hand rather than masking it. Lets see how that goes.

50006391991_fc742ebb4b_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4