Fairey Barracuda 1/72

Hi all,

this is the Special Hobby 1/72 Fairey Barracuda, a striking aircraft that could be described as a little ugly, but I rather like it. It was finished for the ‘in the Navy’ GB currently on.

this kit is nice, but has some fit issues and the location points are guess work in a number of places. But if your a better modeller than me it will turn out great I’m sure, the bar I’ve set isn’t high.

Anyway, I’ve over weathered her which is what I wanted and what I felt fitted with the scheme which has replacement panels still in their primer. It’s also carrying a bomb load, which it probably never did, but let’s just say they were trying it out?

her it is.

uzx8ZqW.jpg
BlBF6vU.jpg

Y918b42.jpg
QM8vkMZ.jpg
8DyRcgI.jpg

z3venOA.jpg
E1Sxn8C.jpg

ahoVMFZ.jpg
f5ZreJb.jpg

oh and it’s missing a 374 decal as it melted and I don’t have another.

all finished with tamiya and humbrol paints with a brush.

here is the build thread.

cheers for stopping by!

Rob

• Like 19

That's a bit nice, Rob - well, as nice as a Barracuda can be... :rofl:

(Ducks and runs left)

Seriously, I love the weathering and finish you've achieved there! :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A nicely battered Barracuda ! It would have carried bombs in it’s secondary role as a dive bomber !

Surely one of the most ungainly looking aircraft ever to see service.

Wulfman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rob85 said:

Barracuda, a striking aircraft that could be described as a little ugly, but I rather like it.

A little ugly? Next to a Sea Spit or a Firefly, it looks like a car-accident (especially with the wings folded)! 

And I want one in 72nd, precisely because of that (especially with the wings folded)! 🐟 😜

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, giemme said:

That's a bit nice, Rob - well, as nice as a Barracuda can be... :rofl:

(Ducks and runs left)

Seriously, I love the weathering and finish you've achieved there! :clap:

Ciao

Ha, yeah it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and probably wasn’t up to the job it was intended for but it has its charm! Thanks I glad you like it, there were a number of times I thought it would end up a pigs ear.

22 hours ago, Wulfman said:

A nicely battered Barracuda ! It would have carried bombs in it’s secondary role as a dive bomber !

Surely one of the most ungainly looking aircraft ever to see service.

Wulfman

This one is from 1946 and supposedly never went on any sorties carrying ordnance during the war. I think most were used as bombers as they weren’t effective with their fish! 

21 hours ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Too kind

19 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That looks properly fearsome Rob, nice TSS camo work, and excellent rings painted on the spinner - one of our hobby's greatest challenges.

The yellow is a decal, which was a pleasure to put down, practically put itself on, the rest of the spinner is had painted as I can’t work out how to mask a cone shape! Cheers Cookie!

19 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Great work on this very strange looking beast! Have an appetite to buy SH kit someday just because this is so unusually looking aircraft. Fairey definitely had some imaginative engineers!

Buy it, it’s a nice kit just a bit of a pain to put together!

17 hours ago, Murdo said:

Cracking job!

Cheers very much!

10 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Excellent Barracuda, love the colour scheme too.

It’s a bit different from the norm which I like about it, glad you like it.

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

A total mess - just like the real thing.

One of the nicest "ugly" aircraft.

Ha, yeah best of all the ugly ducklings!

6 hours ago, warhawk said:

A little ugly? Next to a Sea Spit or a Firefly, it looks like a car-accident (especially with the wings folded)! 

And I want one in 72nd, precisely because of that (especially with the wings folded)! 🐟 😜

Yeah I won’t be attempting a wing fold! Found it enough of a challenge getting the kit to fit together!

thanks all for the support.

Rob

• Like 3

Excellent, Rob... great work, and a great response from your daughter, too... I did laugh out loud!  😉

Regards,

Paul

• Haha 1

Very nice Rob.  I have just started this very same kit and I will refer back to this and your build thread as a useful reference.  You have given me much inspiration with your`s.  :clap2:

Mike

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, obdl3945 said:

Excellent, Rob... great work, and a great response from your daughter, too... I did laugh out loud!  😉

Regards,

Paul

She’s a funny girl, a quick wit. Glad you like it!

11 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Very nice Rob.  I have just started this very same kit and I will refer back to this and your build thread as a useful reference.  You have given me much inspiration with your`s.  :clap2:

Mike

Thanks, that means a lot! Hopefully you will pick up on what I did wrong and do it better than I did!

cheers.

Rob

• Thanks 1