This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Markh-75

feel like packing it in now.

Thanks for that; my previous experience with acrylic is not good! lol i wasnt aware that enamel could be painted on top of acrylic. Or is it the other way around that it can react? 

5 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Or is it the other way around that it can react? 

It’s not quite that simple, but essentially as a general rule enamel can go on acrylic, but not the other way. It’s to do with the solvents that take a while to gas out from the enamel and affect the water-based acrylic.

Now I’ve said that, expect a million comments saying different things! :penguin:

It all very much depends on the chemical makeup of the paint, but if you follow the general rule you’re pretty safe.

Sounds good; means i can prime with appropriate colours for certain topcoat colours, like light grey for blues, dark grey for dark blues and so on! Handy on US Navy paint schemes and will be especially good on the larger kits as their colour will be more uniform.💡

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Now I’ve said that, expect a million comments saying different things! :penguin:

Heres one Heather 😉 ... I do paint either on top of the other. Though i give it a 24 hour period between colors. And if it needs a camouflage pattern that requires masking, I add a coat of clear before to prevent paint lift on acrylics. I can do the same with Lacquers but usually give that 2-3 days between colors and types of paint. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hmmm, its getting complicated! I liked the good ol' days when everyone brushed on enamels, but i'm willing to learn.

I'm too lazy for all this new acrylic/enamel switching fiddlery and can barely use a brush for my teeth let alone a model. I just zap everything these days with Alclad Mil-Spec enamels from the air canon and hook my lungs up to a ventilator afterwards 😬

Ah well here comes the self proclaimed 'expert' (not) opinion 😄. It is generally taken that Acrylic shouldn't be painted on top of enamel while painting enamel over acrylic is perfectly safe. It's to do with the fact that acrylic 'dries' - that is that the water evaporates off leaving the acrylic resin behind as a nice coat of plastic whereas enamels/oil paints don't dry but, rather, the oil in them oxidises over time. It's not so obvious with enamels as they have 'accelerators' or 'dries' in them to speed the oxidation process but, basically the enamel skin will continue to move for some time (it could be a year or more for a thick coat) and, if you painted acrylic over the top, the film will gradually tear and wrinkle as the underlying enamel shift around. There is also the possibility that the enamel could have a microscopic amount of oily residue on it's surface that will stop the acrylic resin sticking to the surface properly. 

For what it's worth @Markh-75 I use only enamels and oil paints on all my models, both airbrushed and traditional paint brush brushed and I never actually bother with a primer at all but weigh straight in with the paint. Just my opinion but I think that, particularly with a traditional paint brush and if you aren't using spray primer, you may end up with a bit too thick a skin of paint which can muss up your details. On the other hand, if I was of a mind to use acrylics (which I'm not as I hate them with a passion!) I would use a primer.

6 hours ago, Beardie said:

Ah well here comes the self proclaimed 'expert' (not) opinion 😄. It is generally taken that Acrylic shouldn't be painted on top of enamel while painting enamel over acrylic is perfectly safe. It's to do with the fact that acrylic 'dries' - that is that the water evaporates off leaving the acrylic resin behind as a nice coat of plastic whereas enamels/oil paints don't dry but, rather, the oil in them oxidises over time. It's not so obvious with enamels as they have 'accelerators' or 'dries' in them to speed the oxidation process but, basically the enamel skin will continue to move for some time (it could be a year or more for a thick coat) and, if you painted acrylic over the top, the film will gradually tear and wrinkle as the underlying enamel shift around. There is also the possibility that the enamel could have a microscopic amount of oily residue on it's surface that will stop the acrylic resin sticking to the surface properly. 

For what it's worth @Markh-75 I use only enamels and oil paints on all my models, both airbrushed and traditional paint brush brushed and I never actually bother with a primer at all but weigh straight in with the paint. Just my opinion but I think that, particularly with a traditional paint brush and if you aren't using spray primer, you may end up with a bit too thick a skin of paint which can muss up your details. On the other hand, if I was of a mind to use acrylics (which I'm not as I hate them with a passion!) I would use a primer.

Thanks for this; i have always tended to weigh right in but wonder if my colour will fill better with a primer under them, i'd like to try and see if it makes any difference to the fill; i could have done with a primer for the mid blue coloured fuselage of the privateer as its white under, intermediate blue on the sides and gloss sea blue on top and the gloss sea blue actually needs a primer and especially if the cockpit glazing is to be done the same colour, as it wont adhere to clear parts in a good coat, so i undercoat the clears with the Humbrol RAF blue first to give it something to grab onto.

i'm not a great fan of acrylics myself. I did wonder for a time when i found that Humbrol have discontinued a few colours i needed, if i'd have to use acrylic but the helpful people on this group pointed me in the direction of Colourcoats and i found that Hannants Xtracolour do the very colours i need, especially for the US Navy kits. I have always brushed on enamels with a tickling stick and rather prefer to even with my shaky hands!

I had a problem with paints separating but it was just the acrylics, and the humbrol satin or matt cotes were badly affecting my detail finishes but i found Micro Industries products and bought a bottle of matt, satin and gloss varnish to go on the metallic finishes, mainly to glaze over the decals and protect them. These are perfect, i might just use the humbrol for solid colour paint jobs but i doubt i'll use them much now.

Thanks for helping to clear this up, now i know something more!:goodjob:

On 19/05/2020 at 11:34, bentwaters81tfw said:

Mark, FWIW, when I built my Privateer, I started off by painting the interior, and the white bits I could do as sub assemblies.

Thats what i have done; i built the wings (both) as separate builds, and the fuselage as another build.

I wanted to let everyone know that i am feeling much better now, and a BIG Thank you for everyones support!👍 I found that while i couldnt do any modelling i had nothing to do so maybe its been some kind of message for me to go out and do other things; and i have. I've replaced doorframes, painted the same, painted a shed, and a bit of gardening and landscape for my long suffering wifey! (deserves a BIG round of applause for putting up with me and because she's a home carer with the local council!), my next task will be mostly painting; i have to paint the outside of the house so i ordered an easel!:giggle: I have the equipment just waiting to be used, i just need to watch the weather as it was far too hot to do any painting today; instead i had a bonfire in my dustbin incinerator of all the garden rubbish, prunings and old bits of wood etc, all gone up in smoke! 🔥

I have been doing some modelling too! I'm most of the way there with a Hawk 81-A-2 and i have been doing little bits and bobs on the private ear, the cockpit glass is now on and happy, i filled a low point just behind it on top of the fuselage and shaped it, fine papered it and gave it an undercoat, i just have the paint to touch in round about it; and the wing goes on now! I resisted the urge to bin it because i have spent alot of time on it so far; it will be finished, when i'm ready to finish it but it will be little spells of work as and when. As for my way forward i will continue to buy and make the smaller kits but have a larger kit on the back burner to work on as and when. When i were no'but a lad i could knock out a spitfire in a couple of hours, now it might take me a couple of weeks or even mumphs depending on quality; i'm using my die cast models as the bench mark; the only way you would know a die cast in my collection is because they are all on their stands (i dont like sitting die cast models on their u/c because being made of metal they can buckle the u/c with their weight), all my built kits are sitting on their landing gear.

I finally managed to get contact with community mental health who put me in touch with my consultant; he has put my dose of uncle depressants up again and i am feeling the difference for it now, (and its still early days)!

Thanks Everyone!👍:nodding:

Only just caught up on a this thread and to be honest there’s not much more I can add. I agree that Britmodeller is a great community to be part of. No matter how obscure the question, there will always be someone with either an answer or a well reasoned opinion.

Like many others, I have also had periods when the world presses down on me. At times, there would be several months between modelling sessions, because quite frankly, everything was an effort. That said, I never stopped thinking about modelling and how I would tackle a particular model.

Don't forget, your wingmen are here 👍🏻

Trevor

Great that you're on the "up" Mark all the very best to you and everyone struggling with mental and physical health issues here.

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great that you're on the "up" Mark all the very best to you and everyone struggling with mental and physical health issues here.

Love your profile pic! Slackbladder and Bottom are my favourites!

On 5/30/2020 at 8:21 PM, Markh-75 said:

I wanted to let everyone know that i am feeling much better now, and a BIG Thank you for everyones support!👍 I found that while i couldnt do any modelling i had nothing to do so maybe its been some kind of message for me to go out and do other things; and i have. I've replaced doorframes, painted the same, painted a shed, and a bit of gardening and landscape for my long suffering wifey! (deserves a BIG round of applause for putting up with me and because she's a home carer with the local council!), my next task will be mostly painting; i have to paint the outside of the house so i ordered an easel!:giggle: I have the equipment just waiting to be used, i just need to watch the weather as it was far too hot to do any painting today; instead i had a bonfire in my dustbin incinerator of all the garden rubbish, prunings and old bits of wood etc, all gone up in smoke! 🔥

I have been doing some modelling too! I'm most of the way there with a Hawk 81-A-2 and i have been doing little bits and bobs on the private ear, the cockpit glass is now on and happy, i filled a low point just behind it on top of the fuselage and shaped it, fine papered it and gave it an undercoat, i just have the paint to touch in round about it; and the wing goes on now! I resisted the urge to bin it because i have spent alot of time on it so far; it will be finished, when i'm ready to finish it but it will be little spells of work as and when. As for my way forward i will continue to buy and make the smaller kits but have a larger kit on the back burner to work on as and when. When i were no'but a lad i could knock out a spitfire in a couple of hours, now it might take me a couple of weeks or even mumphs depending on quality; i'm using my die cast models as the bench mark; the only way you would know a die cast in my collection is because they are all on their stands (i dont like sitting die cast models on their u/c because being made of metal they can buckle the u/c with their weight), all my built kits are sitting on their landing gear.

I finally managed to get contact with community mental health who put me in touch with my consultant; he has put my dose of uncle depressants up again and i am feeling the difference for it now, (and its still early days)!

Thanks Everyone!👍:nodding:

Glad to hear you’re in better spirit, sometimes a break is the best cure for modelling woes :)

On 5/20/2020 at 12:49 PM, Markh-75 said:

Me too, neither; i always look at the positives in other peoples builds because there is always something, and because i know how I would feel if someone said my work was 'naff'. I like the policy on this group of keeping comments positive!

I do too. That's one of the biggest reasons I visit Britmodeler every day! Stay with us sir. Whether you realize it or not, you'd definitely be missed if you left.