This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Markh-75

feel like packing it in now.

Crappy kits are fun in their own way - even if they don't get finished.  You will learn things during the process no matter what the outcome.

I actually prefer older kits. They may not always fit well (although some do) but they generally have a low parts count. Modern kits can be way too fiddly.

Mark,

don't let your imagined shortcomings in kit building take away your enjoyment from the hobby.

I am definitely the worst builder on here but I still derive pleasure from it although I agree it is often frustrating.

They are a great bunch of chaps on here who never stint in helping or giving useful critiques when you post and greatly add to the pleasure of the hobby.

Hopefully a pic of one of my "masterpieces" that I dared post in Ready for Inspection will give you a laugh and raise your spirits a bit.  😂

Although I have improved a bit I am still frankly rubbish and I may soon inflict my latest Supermarine Walrus on you soon! 

Keep going mate. 

spacer.png

Mark,

I'm sorry to hear that you are in a bad place at the moment but I think you can see from all the replies that the Britmodeller Massive is in your corner and we understand and support you in whichever direction you decide to go.

Britmodeller  (Other forums, apparently, are available) can be the best of places and the worst of places, to paraphrase a well known line, it's at it's best when giving advice and supporting it's contributors, like now, it can be the worst of places when you feel that your efforts are not up to what you perceive as good enough.

We all have made our "bad" models and outside of modelling all done daft things and made bad decisions, but that's what makes us human, accepting that these things happen  makes us compassionate and understanding humans.

Having a daughter that suffers depression has given me an insight into how debilitating it can be but my advice to her is that the weird way her brain is "wired" with it's black days and depression is also what makes her the brilliant, inventive, funny and creative person she really is and to remember that. I'm sure you are the same.

Hope you're soon back at the bench.

Dave

5 hours ago, Neil.C said:

Mark,

don't let your imagined shortcomings in kit building take away your enjoyment from the hobby.

I am definitely the worst builder on here but I still derive pleasure from it although I agree it is often frustrating.

They are a great bunch of chaps on here who never stint in helping or giving useful critiques when you post and greatly add to the pleasure of the hobby.

Hopefully a pic of one of my "masterpieces" that I dared post in Ready for Inspection will give you a laugh and raise your spirits a bit.  😂

Although I have improved a bit I am still frankly rubbish and I may soon inflict my latest Supermarine Walrus on you soon! 

Keep going mate. 

There is not much wrong with this model! Its a nice neat build, nice bright colours too!:goodjob:

Hello Mark... I suffer from several health issues and am disabled. I have broken 100+ bones in my body since i was 7 and suffer from diabetes and severe pain. The pain is related to the broken bones, a MRSA infection in 2016, and breaking my back in 2010. I do get down from time to time and thats exactly why I build, it is my escape from my reality. If you ever need a person to talk to im sure if not me, someone here will be glad to listen. We are a community and we are here for each other. I suggest you dont do anything rash by selling off at least not right away. I got rid of a chunk of stash in 2010 when I thought id never come back to modeling. I regret that decision severely. Im still trying to find some of those kits after five years of being back at building. 

Dennis

Posted (edited)

Not much that I can add other than I always have builds that I think are going to be my "crowning achievement" and garner more attention from fellow modellers on the internet than usual, and they don't turn out as planned.  Had to abandon a 1/72 FW-190 that I was adding all the Eduard bells and whistles to, because it was just ever so slightly beyond my skill level.

I've felt like giving up on modelling also, quite often because I cannot achieve what I want and plan to.

I know it's a cliche, but try to "Keep calm and carry on".  Take a break from modelling, I do regularly, quite often during a build, for weeks, but don't go selling off your stuff, you'll only regret it later.

Edited by RobL

Hiya Mark,

Please don’t completely quit this fascinating, oddball, don’t-often-talk-about-it-in-public, esoteric, often frustrating but ultimately wonderful hobby!

In spite of recent frustrations, I’m quite certain that you are a modeller because you have enjoyed it previously. Twice on the last few years I completely packed away all my modelling ‘stuff’ because I became deeply frustrated at what, to me, were too many poor results and spoiled, abandoned kits. On each occasion I deliberately walked away from modelling and tried other creative hobbies for a while. On each occasion, after a few months the frustration disappeared and was replaced by renewed enthusiasm.  If I had have ditched all my modelling bits & pieces I would not have been able to step back into it in the way that I did. 

I restarted after my last layoff by deciding to get a decent result from my airbrush, which I hadn’t touched in years.  The first kit was okay but not great (in my eyes), but I expected that and learned from the process.  I was much happier with my results with the next kit.  More recently I’ve concentrated on scratchbuilding, partly as a deliberate learning process and partly because I have an interest in obscure subjects that aren’t kitted; I’ve made mistakes and produced some poor results, and I have a box of part-made scratchbuilds that are the equivalent of the abandoned kits that I’ve left along the way. These were frustrating at the time, but no problem - I’ve learned many new skills and techniques...thanks mainly to fellow BMers. The learning process continues, and adds to the interest. I’m now learning how to build vacforms and tackling my most ambitious scratchbuild yet, and it definitely doesn’t always go well! Once I finish it I will probably try a completely new and different type of modelling; I’m expecting plenty of frustrations and mistakes along the way, but i know I will keep building plastic models.

Don’t give up completely, but don’t be afraid to put it all aside for a while. As unhappy as you are with your Privateer, it might be useful to list what you think didn’t work as you’d hoped, then use each of these items as a topic for researching and practising improvements. In other words, bring positive learning points from negative experiences. Also, there will always be those who produce much better results than our own - that doesn’t matter in the slightest. It’s a pastime, not a competition! 

Chin up!

Jon

I had a hard time last year where I never built anything for a year - due to depression over the money I had to throw at  divorce -

for an alcoholic wife , that never cleaned , never cared about me , and called the Police on me ( she felt her life was in danger through an alcy daze )

no action was taken by the Police as I did nothing

I went from no debt , no mortgage to having to spend all my savings

and take a loan of 20K , but I bounced back . You will as well , trust me - read a good book ( Pierre Closterman , the Big Show )

or a comedy book ( eg Fred Bassett ) 

I sold the Merit Ark Royal 1/350 got a good price for it - but regretted it afterwards - I rebought it a few months ago , and felt better

I was tempted last year to sell the Hood in 1/350 scale with a lot of aftermarket items inside - but didn't and felt so much better 

If you dislike the model so much why not sell it on Ebay ? - and recoup the money 

want a bit of advice - get the Matchbox Hawker Fury 1/72 and build it , have a blast its a great kit

above all , take care - I never give harsh words to anyone's build - as its just a beloved hobby , and its for fun

Thanks for your kind words, I can see how all of that can take its toll on anyone. I know how much a situation will cost me and I know it takes me a while to recover. I rest up; if I fall asleep even in the day I don’t worry because I must have been in need of it. I just take my time. I tire easily and quickly these days, it’s a part of the illness.

thank you for your reply, Mark.

5 hours ago, 73north said:

I never give harsh words to anyone's build - as its just a beloved hobby , and its for fun

Me too, neither; i always look at the positives in other peoples builds because there is always something, and because i know how I would feel if someone said my work was 'naff'. I like the policy on this group of keeping comments positive!

Thanks again to everyone who has replied to my post, i am seeing that there is so much support here! Once i have been here a bit longer, and i feel better, i will be able to help others in the way you guys (and gal) have helped me. I always believe in 'you take something out - you put something back' and i will be doing this in good time; Thank you everyone.:goodjob:

Today i went to my daughters house to help her with something (wot Dads are for), so i had a good productive day.👍

Getting stuff done (it doesn't matter what) is a great therapy.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:21 AM, Markh-75 said:

I intended the Privateer to be an 'ultimate moment' but it has worked out far from that

Not the best kit to recover ones modelling esteem with. I am a reasonable modeller but I haven't been game to tackle mine yet. if I were you I would pick something with a better reputation for an easy build, even if it's complicated, and give that a go.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:02 PM, Markh-75 said:

i only buy the kits i would like to buy and build

I know what you mean but you may be better off just getting one or two easy ones as therapy. You may find it easier to tackle older ones then.

It's not only golf that's partly played between the ears!

At least with golf you only lose your b***s!:giggle:

I just spent the afternoon adding wiring to a 1/48 R2800 engine using the copper wire from an electrical cable. It was fiddly as hell, my feet are sore because I was standing as I worked. I cut my finger with a scalpel and I have a headache. The result is far from exhibition standard. 

But nevertheless I'm feeling really pleased with myself and that's exactly why I, we carry on with this racket. The work is enjoyable even if result is far from perfect. 

It's worth carrying on. Tomorrow I start on the propeller. The engine needs a propeller. 

We have to keep going. 👍

Did a little on the four engine 'Private-eye' today:giggle: (and i mean a 'little'); the paint line from the wing leading edge to the cockpit was too high as was the line along the top of the nose on both sides, so i've applied some masking tape and smoothed it down ready for painting that line. It should go to the top corner of the canopy as it curves over the top, and the other should be at the bottom edge of the canopy on the nose, I then went around any open cracks eg at windows etc and applied a little PVA. The cockpit glass is on and happy, just got to PVA the side windows.

I happened to be in the room 'avoiding' the wife while she painted the downstairs hallway doorframes (she's lethal with a paintbrush you know!😲:giggle:), and instead of loathing what i see, i thought 'What needs to be dun on this then"? Once i'm ready to go again i will be able to get more done. I started the Airfix P-40B the other day before all work stopped, maybe i'll carry on with that and then just do little bits on the Private-ear!:giggle:

I finally managed to get through to my consultant at the mental health clinic and he is going to phone me at 15.00 today; i think my meds need adjustment.

I have no issue discussing the meds i take simply because its the crutch i need to keep me functioning. If i broke a leg i'd need a crutch to get around, so similarly if this medication is wots needed, then so be it. I'm not a loony or anything, i just need that kind of support so i'll ask if maybe my 'uncle-depressants' need to be adjusted in dose for each day. I havent seen him for a long time (due to some virus or other:huh:) and i'm meant to go every three or so mumphs but wasnt given an appointment. I had been trying to get through for a few days but got nowhere, even went into the clinic i go to when i see him but was told there was nobody from Mental Health around that day; My wife went in yesterday purely by chance after getting some shopping and by luck there was someone around from his surgery.

Yes i WILL carry on modelling but i am reorganising my thoughts about it for when i get back. Its been mentioned a few times already in this post, like who am i modelling for? etc. I also intend to change practices when i build; i will brush on primer before painting i will also degrease before i even put that on. I also suffer from ectopic eczema and some of the skin preparations i use can be oily, i used to degrease using some Humbrol decalcote on a bit of kitchen roll but i know its not the best thing to use for that; i'll try and get some IPA alcohol ; i like IPA beer!🤣🤣🤣 but i wouldn't clean models with it!😂 

Wots the best IPA cleaner to get, but wont break the bank?

I have an 'uncle-depressant' in the form of a niece. I don't see her very often as my brother's ex-wife lives quite a distance away and, last time I saw her, she remarked how much older than her dad I looked. Her dad is my older brother by a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Markh-75 said:

Yes i WILL carry on modelling but i am reorganising my thoughts about it for when i get back. Its been mentioned a few times already in this post, like who am i modelling for? etc. I also intend to change practices when i build; i will brush on primer before painting i will also degrease before i even put that on. I also suffer from ectopic eczema and some of the skin preparations i use can be oily, i used to degrease using some Humbrol decalcote on a bit of kitchen roll but i know its not the best thing to use for that; i'll try and get some IPA alcohol ; i like IPA beer!🤣🤣🤣 but i wouldn't clean models with it!😂 

Wots the best IPA cleaner to get, but wont break the bank?

Hi Mark

Since the advent of CV-19 the cost of IPA has risen exponentially as it is a classic bug killer.I bought 5 litres early last year for around a tenner delivered. (evilbay) It's now going for £35. Smaller quantities are available. IPA is IPA, it's all the same.

So much or the phonecall! Huh. Yes he called me but we kept getting cut off; i tried to call him back but his number doesnt take incoming calls; we got nothing discussed because of being cut off a number of times. Its impossible.

The world, in particular, Scotland, hasn't quite caught up with how to make technology work, particularly in more 'rural' areas. NHS phone numbers are a real pain. I have lost count of the times NHS staff have called in regard of appointments for my wife using the NHS number which doesn't tell you who was calling, you can't call the person back and they don't leave a message or, if they do, don't leave a direct line number to call them back or any information on how to contact them. Very frustrating. 

It IS indeed. I just got a text alerting me to a phone message, like 2 hours later, saying that he got my massage and my uncle depressants have been increased as from tomorrow morning. Wonders will never cease. Well that’s something I suppose, hopefully I’ll be feeling much better about things after a few days!

Are you using acrylic or enamel paints @Markh-75 ? If you are using Acrylics then a careful/gentle bath in ordinary washing up liquid and water should de-grease the plastic just fine and, in fact it is handy, if you can find clear 'washing up liquid', like the stuff that you get in bottles for kids to blow bubbles with, Art stores sell it as 'flow improver' for acrylic artists paints but it costs a bit more that some kiddies bubbles. If you add a teeny wee drop to the paint, or just the water you use for thinning your paint it breaks the surface tension of the water in the acrylic paint (It's the surface tension in water that makes it go into droplets on the plastic) and helps it flow better. If you are using enamels then a bit of white spirit will do the trick for degreasing. As enamel paints are basically linseed oil with colour and a few other odds and ends added in, a bit of grease shouldn't make too much difference to how they go on. 

Posted (edited)

Cheers for that; i brush enamels and i am surprised at how little they have been affected even though the ointments can be oily, i always wash my hands after applying the ointments so maybe my ol' pandies aren't as greasy as i thought.

Still need to find brush on primer!

Edited by Markh-75

22 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Still need to find brush on primer!

The last couple of models I painted by brush, I used one of the acrylic colours as the base coat/primer for. It worked really well. Might be worth a try for you. Humbrol or Revell acrylic, brushed on with maybe two coats. Leave it to harden for 24 hours, then you should be okay to paint enamel on top.