Help Phantom!!!!

Edger

Please help me!! Last xmas my Mrs bought me Revells 1/32 F4F Phantom off ebay, it came all the way from China, the box was a bit battered but hey it was a bargain. I opened it up in the new year and lo and behold the whole clear fret was missing from the kit. I didn't want to send the kit back so I thought I would try Revell for a replacement fret, alas after many emails they could not replace as the kit was not in their catalogue. I then had a brainwave, the kit is still in production in the F4G Wild Weasel guide. The lady at Revell UK ordered this for me only to be told Nein by Revell Germany, the kit is no longer in production!!!! Really it is in the 2020 catalogue and don't they have a spares dept like Airfix do? Not at all happy with Revell. Does anyone know if a company does an aftermarket canopy set for the Phantom? 

Hi, 

This is not the wanted section, and thats closed at the moment, I will leave the rest here in case someone can point you in the direction of a company that makes a replacement.

You will find even Airfix dot keep spares like they did anymore, and if Revell say its OOP then leave it at that, no need to rant at them.

Julien

Keep asking Revell.

Each time Revell issues a kit with changes they change the code number.

Revell spares only checks against the code number you supply, not the other same kits.

This is from experience

I have hunted extensively for an aftermarket 1/32 Phantom canopy and have been unable to find one. The only options would be either to check on eBay where some people break kits and sell them by the sprue, or to mould your own.

One of the problems with the Revell kit is the squashed canopy, made better if posed open, I may have a donor kit in my store that you can have the canopy sprue from if it's there. It will be towards the end of the week before I can confirm that but I'll PM you if it's there to get an address.

Dave

• Like 1

Last year I built the Ju88 A-4 of Revell (the old Dragon form) and lost the two rear gear well doors. So I asked Revell Germany by E-mail for spares. They answered that the kit is OOP. So I asked for the parts of the new kit (ICM plastic) and they sent me the missing parts from that kit within a week and completely free of charge. I was more than happy.

Volker

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edger said:

Looks like studying moulding videos and reading articles on techniques, real modelling and not shake and bake modelling.

I have a spare set of canopy parts, mostly off the sprue but pristine. 

If you don't get any elsewhere, PM me after the Covid 19 thing blows away — I can't get to a post office for the forseeable future.

Tony in Bristol

23 hours ago, Coors54 said:

One of the problems with the Revell kit is the squashed canopy, made better if posed open, I may have a donor kit in my store that you can have the canopy sprue from if it's there. It will be towards the end of the week before I can confirm that but I'll PM you if it's there to get an address.

Dave

Thanks Dave that would be good.

5 hours ago, Edger said:

Thanks Tony will do, what do you want for them? Where do you live?

Nothing, unless postage is over £3. They're just doing nothing right now and I'd rather they were of use to somebody.

Tony in Bristol

Sorry Edger, the clear runner wasn't in the box with the Phantom parts ☹️ I'm now at a loss as to where I put them......

Dave

On 5/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, Edger said:

Please help me!! Last xmas my Mrs bought me Revells 1/32 F4F Phantom off ebay, it came all the way from China, the box was a bit battered but hey it was a bargain. I opened it up in the new year and lo and behold the whole clear fret was missing from the kit. I didn't want to send the kit back so I thought I would try Revell for a replacement fret, alas after many emails they could not replace as the kit was not in their catalogue. I then had a brainwave, the kit is still in production in the F4G Wild Weasel guide. The lady at Revell UK ordered this for me only to be told Nein by Revell Germany, the kit is no longer in production!!!! Really it is in the 2020 catalogue and don't they have a spares dept like Airfix do? Not at all happy with Revell. Does anyone know if a company does an aftermarket canopy set for the Phantom? 

The Revell Phantom canopy has horrible squashed profile and it's surprising nobody does a better replacement for it.

A few years ago I was able to order other Tamiya Phantom replacement parts from an eBay seller in the US.

If you try that route, don't forget you'll also need the canopy frame sprue as well as the clear parts.