Revell 1/25 1968 Dodge Dart GTS Survivor

Hey all, a bit of a change of pace for me. After building a bunch of models with nice shiny clearcoat, I wanted to try a more weathered and distressed finish. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the salt chipping technique and applied them to a Revell 1/25 1968 Dodge Dart GTS. The goal was to create a model that looked a bit sun-baked and rusty but mostly original. This is the first American car I've built in a very long time.

Dodge_Dart_Graffitti-16_1920x1080

The kit was pretty good, I haven't built an American kit in a long time either, but there was lots of parts to work with and some nice engraved detail on door panels and the rear trim in particular. I changed the wheels in the kit to a set of Fireball Modelworks Mopar steelies. I added some engine wiring and exhaust tips made of aluminum tube but that was about it. I'm used to Japanese kits that lock the interior chassis and body together, so the final fit on this was a bit loosey-goosey but came together with a bit of glue and clamping.

Dodge_Dart_Graffitti-14_1920x1080

I painted the front quarter panel to look like it was replaced at some point and drilled out the side marker light and sanded off the emblem. I used some light acrylic washes to add to the weathering but really tried to restrain myself from doing too much. This was also the first time I intentionally sanded through a decal. 😀

Dodge_Dart_Graffitti-11_1920x1080

The engine was weathered to be a running survivor and not totally derelict.

Dodge_Dart_Engine-4_1920x1080

I've started building a large diorama to shoot my models on - the base is the start of the parking area and the backdrop is a printout of a photo of a graffiti covered wall I found online.

Dodge_Dart_Graffitti-10_1920x1080

There's a lot of great demos on YouTube, but my process was a basecoat in Dark Rust, a light speckle coat in light rust, apply water and then sprinkle on coarse salt, let that dry and spray with a grey primer colour, brush off the salt and repeat the salt application and spray with the body colour so you get a 2 layer paint and primer peeling effect. Washes and rust detail was applied over this.

Dodge_Dart_Process_1920x1080

A couple more shots:

Dodge_Dart_Graffitti-3_1920x1080

Dodge_Dart_Graffitti-2_1920x1080

Thanks for looking!

Martin.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that is really convincing.  It was only the giant hand in the last photo that gave the game away, and maybe the 50 gallon drum of Tamiya XF-85!

Mark R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome work again Martin! Both model (the steelies are a nice touch!) and photography. You inspired me to build my own photo backdrop, in fact I just finished glueing a photo of the front wall of a barn which I found close by on a piece of A3 foamboard. First tests are pretty good! 

• Thanks 1

Love the rust work, and grateful for you sharing exactly how you did it!

There are some really nice more subtle touches tat make this special, like the ring of dirt around the tyres and the staining around the filler cap that stand out to me

• Thanks 1

That's brilliant

Like others have said, I was convinced it was real until the paint pot :) 

Superb attention to detail and some of the best weathering I have seen on a car :) 

Ian :) 

• Thanks 1

Wowwwww you made my day, thats a absolute stunner build, the salt method looks fantastic, so real, also your great photograpy and a wonderful diorama background.

you get 120 points on 100 points scala.

• Thanks 1