Wingut Wings is no more?

Julien

As Dave Wilson said, the bloke (PJ) is so unpredictable and as with many of the immensely talented, creative and artistic type, they also tend to have incredibly fickle and often egotistical personalities to match as well. I would love to see WNW rise like a phoenix someday but bring a realist and given how creative the bloke is, I am sure that he will find other projects and challenges to keep him occupied in the years ahead and like the rest of us, he isn't getting any younger either to revisit some 'former glories' such as his WNW episode.

If the MENG effort let loose with a WNW mould is anything to go by - well I say a mould, a first test shot one at best would be my guess- then I have no doubt that if anyone ever did try and re-pop the range, there would always be a two tier system of kits with purists and those intending to invest many hours to obtain the very best end result, wanting only the original WNW produced effort and being happy to pay the premium rather than 'make do' with what would clearly be an inferior product.

If in any doubt, look inside the MENG package (broken parts and banana wings and all) and say hand on heart that this end product would ever have found its way into a WNW box..?

Gary

• Like 4

I sincerely hope that after all the time spent developing the Lancaster kit, that at some point, somebody actually manufactures it and releases it for sale. Without doubt, from what I have seen, it would be one of the greatest aircraft models of all time.

• Like 2

On 28/11/2020 at 19:40, redcap said:

If in any doubt, look inside the MENG package (broken parts and banana wings and all) and say hand on heart that this end product would ever have found its way into a WNW box..?

Gary

I think it would have. The difference would have been more careful packing, and better control of the moulding process.  There's nothing wrong with the detailing, parts breakdown, or fit.

Decals and instruction sheet, okay, those are sub WNW, but there the onus is squarly on Meng. Still, I've never been a great fan of the WNW instruction style (which I'm willing to accept is my fault since everyone else seems to like them), and there are good aftermarket decals available, so that doesn't bother me.

Paul.

3 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

I think it would have. The difference would have been more careful packing, and better control of the moulding process.  There's nothing wrong with the detailing, parts breakdown, or fit.

Decals and instruction sheet, okay, those are sub WNW, but there the onus is squarly on Meng. Still, I've never been a great fan of the WNW instruction style (which I'm willing to accept is my fault since everyone else seems to like them), and there are good aftermarket decals available, so that doesn't bother me.

Paul.

Paul.

Do you really think this end result would have got into a WNW box with some 'better' moulding control and simply been packed better?

You show me a WNW kit (mainstream production run and not a one off duff example) that had parts broken off the wing attachments due to inadequate sprue connections and  badly warped wings and I will stand corrected. My upper wing part and despite trying even boiling water and then bracing them with clamps is still not straight when viewed head on and the 'replacement' part MENG sent me was even worst that the original. The plastic they have used isn't WNW grade either and has a much 'softer' feel to it than the grade used in normal WNW products.

These warped and broken parts were not 'one off' QC issues requiring some 'better' oversight but problems throughout an entire production run that would have been overtly obvious to anyone at MENG that there was a serious QC issue (before) going to market ...but they did nothing to rectify it which speaks volumes and is really surprising given they make some premium quality AFV kits. 

IF they produced other kits in the WNW range as alleged, then one can confirm that they CAN do them properly and have the requisite expertise but on this occasion, chose instead to cut corners and one assumes costs in the knowledge that the 'WNW' tooling association would sell itself.

I have heard nothing either to suggest that these QC issues have been (fully) rectified to date either.

I am currently building this kit and whilst it is a decent kit at best (IMHO) it could (would) have been a great one had WNW finished the project properly. The price is also now creeping upwards towards the WNW price too I see; which means they no longer have the QC excuse that it wasn't a WNW price as was touted in some circles by MENG'S apologists. 

Ultimately, if you are happy with what's presented for your money; that's fine.

Instructions - that's a personal choice and of less concern than broken and damaged kit parts.

Gary

• Julien locked this topic