1/48 Roden Gladiator - Norwegian '433'

The subject of this build is Gloster Gladiator #433, a uniquely painted aircraft that was one of 12 Gladiators that served with the Norwegian Army Air Service up to the time that Germany invaded Norway on April 9, 1940. All Norwegian Gladiators were painted in a silver colour, presumably aluminum dope. #433 was selected to receive what might have been an experimental camouflage scheme in 1939. Data on the scheme is minimal and it appears that there are only a few known B&W pictures of the plane. A full discussion of the airplane and its scheme can be found here:

One such picture can be found on line on Pinterest and is unattributed. I have cropped the picture and included it here:

433-cropped-jpg.568273

The WIP thread with all its trials and tribulations can be found here:

So here are a few of the finished shots. Paints are all Tamiya and sprayed with an Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush.

20051702-jpg.58182520051703-jpg.58182620051701-jpg.58182420051707-jpg.58181420051708-jpg.58181520051709-jpg.58181620051711-jpg.58181820051712-jpg.581819

Thanks for looking!

Andy

• Like 33

Hello, Andy -

Done a brilliant job on your Gladiator - you've copied the colour/markings perfectly as per your attached photo of the original.   Well rigged as well.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Really stunning bit of airbrushing on your model. Even though I have an Iwata HP-CH airbrush that is one of those schemes that I would avoid like the plague. You've created a stunning Gladiator. Love it.

• Thanks 1

The camouflage looks somewhat complicated at a glance. Looking more closely I realized just how complicated it is. You've done astounding work!

• Thanks 1

Impressive! 

I am thinking on beige waves - what they suppose to imitates? The blue are shadows on snow, the green are spruce branches, but what could beige? A dry grass perhaps???

depositphotos_113430742-stock-photo-dry-

Regards

J-W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow – a different Gladiator that is!

Superb modelling and painting- mightily impressed over here in Sweden, where our J 8:s certainly received a rather distinctive camo in Finland in 1940, but nothing nearly as elaborate as this.

A marvellous conversation piece for Gladiator fans!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Very unusual scheme, very well executed. Coincidentally I only just acquired the April edition of Aeroplane and there's a fascinating article on the Norwegian Gladiators and pilots in 1940. Including 433, it was apparently the first Norwegian Gladiator to fire its guns in anger. 

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1