RFI: Eduard 1/48 Fw-190D-9 '44 Cottbus Standard Scheme

Greetings Brits-  Now that my modelling skills are improving...  I decided to tackle the Eduard Fw-190D-9 in 1/48...  This model has alot of detail and some reviews suggesting a tough build.  Well, I did have some snags but everything went together fine for me, and even though this is designed as a kit with open gun hatch and wing root cannon hatches open, I followed the instructions and closed them up.  It was tougher to do, but the next one I build will have these hatches open just to add variety in my display case.

I built from the kit and the only thing I changed or added was the Eagle Strike #48003 decals for Black 1, 5/JG26 (II Gruppe), Wk No 210972 and a scratch built exhaust deflector on the starboard side.  I did not put in all the fiddly PE instrument panels in, I used the nicely molded kit instrument panels...  The only issue I really had was the drop tank in the kit did not attach to the ETC rack!  The instructions say glue it on but the shape of the tank and the ETC rack had no attaching feature or interface of any kind!  So I had to leave it off... 

I wanted to do a Standard Fw190D-9 Scheme from the FW Cottbus Plant, and the Wrk No 210xxx is for November 1944 to December 1944 production with the RLM 75 Grey Violet and RLM 83 Dark Green all over RLM76 (back when they still did paint the FW's in all underside in RLM76!)

This ship had the later blown canopy possibly added in the field..., The photo I have of the original plane looks very well maintained and just has exhaust stains.  It did have the later 'cigar' drop tank, which I cant find in 1/48 and will have scratch build in the future.  The ETC rack is in the dark grey so I painted it like that...  I assumed RLM66 for it...

Enjoy the pictures!  Its freshly finished on the workbench!spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

That's one great looking Dora! A good reminder that not every single late war fighter needs to look like it's barely survived a carpet bombing.

Also, and this is purely personal, it's a welcome relief to see a D without those done-to-death white'n'red anti-AA underwing stripes of the airfield protection Staffeln. 😉

A beautiful model, breathing authenticity.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Agreed with the above, sometimes the nice clean standard schemes capture the lines of the plane best. That's a really smart build, very good looking Dora! Well done!

• Like 1

Ja!  There is only so much red belly any Dora model builder can take...   I know they had a 4 to 1 kill ratio and that was impressive...  But I take my Dora's all RLM76 on the bottom...

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the complements!  This is the 15th 1/48 scale model I have built since middle of December 2019...  My skills are improving, and it is fun to try different things and suggestions...  This one came out very nice and really inspired me to keep going.  I got several new kits and am planning a new display case to put the 1/48 models in...

After many years away, I have gotten into plastic models with gusto...  The 1/48th are much more fun (for me) to build than the 1/72 I was struggling with.

@Tokyo Raider, really lovely bit of work,  but not flattered by being snapped on a workbench.  

It's really worth the bother of being able to some photos on a more flattering base, even if just in the garden with an out of focus background, if you have a printer,   find some neutral natural  backgrounds online (eg https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2648740 there are loads of photos here like this) print out over 2-3 A4 and make a very simple back drop, even if you just use the same one each time

I made some suggestions here,  so I'll just link it

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073660-148-airfix-ready-for-battle/&do=findComment&comment=3694389

I'm nagging as it's a shame such a well crafted model not given a better 'frame' ....  it's a like a cordon bleu meal served on a paper plate.

Look forward to more

Cheers

T

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

@Tokyo Raider, really lovely bit of work,  but not flattered by being snapped on a workbench.  

It's really worth the bother of being able to some photos on a more flattering base, even if just in the garden with an out of focus background, if you have a printer,   find some neutral natural  backgrounds online (eg https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2648740 there are loads of photos here like this) print out over 2-3 A4 and make a very simple back drop, even if you just use the same one each time

I made some suggestions here,  so I'll just link it

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073660-148-airfix-ready-for-battle/&do=findComment&comment=3694389

I'm nagging as it's a shame such a well crafted model not given a better 'frame' ....  it's a like a cordon bleu meal served on a paper plate.

Look forward to more

Cheers

T

How did you know we eat on paper plates at my house?  However my wife's cooking is deserving of paper plates (hope she doesn't read this)...  

ok, I will try and get a nicer background, but you are supposed to look at the model, not the paints!

I have seen some cool backdrops the others use and it really adds to the illusion...  Thanks for the tip...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

I love the Dora's since  my youth, and your one looks fantastic, and if you shoot some photos in natural environment, then your model shows all its quality.

Hi Werner...  Great User ID...  a true classic...  Dirty Harry!

Yes Dora's are my favorite...