Syrian Meteors - stencils in English or Arabic?

neilh

I'm building and Airfix Meteor 8 in 1/48th as a Syrian F8 in 1956 using Xtradecals set X48158.   The profile in the decal set  has an Arabic script " 109" on the tails and seems to show ejection seat warning triangles and foot step markings. Does anyone know if these carried stencils, and if so in which language?  I've only found one on lime picture that shows stencilling on the airframe and drop tanks but the text is too blurred to read. Thanks.

• Like 1

The Xtradecals set is "109".  I stuffed up one pair of the wing decals last night ( they didn't react well to future) , so I looked for available spares earlier. I spotted the Isradecals set. That also has "109" but seems to also have 2 different sizes of roundels, whereas the Xtradecals  have all 6 the same size.  Isradecals are expensive though if I'm only going to use it for 2 roundels!

• Like 1

maybe this thread helps a bit

generally there is not a lot of info around, take into consideration that delivery and in later service markings not necessarily were the same!

also check this here:

http://luftwaffeas.blogspot.com/2011/04/meteor-divorced.html

Edited by exdraken

Yes, thanks for the extra links- its a tricky topic. Take the second site you linked that I found yesterday. The mono photo of the Meteor on the tarmac clearly shows the full length Perspex canopy, yet the ACIG profile shows it with the painted rear canopy, and other photos in your build link show aircraft in the same tail code series with the painted canopies.  As I mentioned, my decal roundels are all the same size, your Isradecals ones show the upper wing roundels to be larger.  My decal guide stated PRU blue underneath with light stone and dark green on top.  That seems to match the colour pre delivery photo well, but the English landscape below is also a little blue, so maybe the film rendered the grey undersides blue?  As you mentioned in your build, if we wait for definitive proof we would never finish the model!   All I need to do know is to source two more roundels from somewhere!   I do have a couple of early pre crescent Egyptian ones I could try to adapt, by overpainting the green centre circle black and having a go at hand painting the three red stars.

• Like 1