Le Grand Sky de Sarcife - Gabonese Hasegawa/Sword AD-4N Skyraider 1/72

2 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

No, the airbrakes are welded as I saw on the pictures of the real planes. So I did make the metal strips that were welded on the airbrakes

Lolo,

Good spot on the airbrakes being secured shut on the AAD-4's, removing the retraction gear would have saved some weight.

You can clearly see the straps keeping the airbrakes shut in a number of photos in Les Skyraider Français, I very much doubt they were welded though, probably riveted on straps (welding would make the skin brittle and prone to cracking).  Definitely something which needs to be included on a French AD-4 though.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Lolo,

Good spot on the airbrakes being secured shut on the AAD-4's, removing the retraction gear would have saved some weight.

You can clearly see the straps keeping the airbrakes shut in a number of photos in Les Skyraider Français, I very much doubt they were welded though, probably riveted on straps (welding would make the skin brittle and prone to cracking).  Definitely something which needs to be included on a French AD-4 though.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hi Wez,

Yes, we can see on pictures the rivets on the vertical strap at the end of the airbrakes. Not so clear on the horizontal straps.

Lolo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, loloskymaster said:

Hi Wez,

Yes, we can see on pictures the rivets on the vertical strap at the end of the airbrakes. Not so clear on the horizontal straps.

Lolo

Funny that, I found the vertical ones harder to spot!

In Les Skyraider Français on page 191, top photo of FJ wou can see the horizontal strap, it runs right through the middle of the roundel.  It's quite clear on the lower photo of LW on page 200 too.

23 minutes ago, Wez said:

Funny that, I found the vertical ones harder to spot!

In Les Skyraider Français on page 191, top photo of FJ wou can see the horizontal strap, it runs right through the middle of the roundel.  It's quite clear on the lower photo of LW on page 200 too.

Here is what I have done for the airbrakes:

spacer.png

Lolo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, loloskymaster said:

That looks very effective to me and looks like what I see in the pictures, nice one Lolo.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Martin,

as the others already said a really superb Skyraider and a great background story 👍

I now officially blame you for wanting to do one in 1/48. I've finally found a source for the Zotz decals and a Tamiya Skyraider so they will be ordered soon (as if my stash isn't big enough already :giggle:)

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus! Thank you. I'll happily take the hit for encouraging another AD build, whatever the scale. You'll see my thoughts, for what they are worth, on the decal sheet. I'd definetly recommend painting the coloured tips and flash, and sourcing the correct style of lettering. If you go for "FP" note the serial is outlined in white. As I said in an earlier post, find the 1/48 PE set and remember those different wing pylons and centreline shacKles. 

11 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Hello Martin,

No, the airbrakes are welded as I saw on the pictures of the real planes. So I did make the metal strips that were welded on the airbrakes. I will share my build soon. ;) 

Of course, I have this excellent book nad the Air Fan special issue "Les Skyraider dans l'Armée de l'Air"!

I'm waiting to see your Fouga finished, then

Lolo

I didnt realise that! It is my second learning experience of the day! ;). My Fouga? Well, it should get primed this week and the first bits of colour prior to a Metacote. 

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

What an excellent post of a little known corner of aviation along with excellent modelling. Really enjoyed that - thank you for posting it.

I'm glad you like her and her story, Chris :)

6 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

spacer.png

Lolo

Very nice work, Lolo. Dont forget the dorsal antennae! ;)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice work, Lolo. Dont forget the dorsal antennae! ;)

Thank you, Martin ! 

Yes, I will add all the antennaes at the end of the build, after the weathering  😉

Lolo

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Fantastic Skyraider Martin, another one on my to do list, but in 1/48 scale.

Thanks MM. I’ll look forward to seeing yours :)

Martin

• Like 1