Le Grand Sky de Sarcife - Gabonese Hasegawa/Sword AD-4N Skyraider 1/72

What's not to like, it's been a pleasure watching this come to fruition and contribute to it some small way.  You've done a cracking job there Martin, like the subtle weathering too.

Looking forward to seeing the Fouga and the Harvard coming to fruition.

It's always nice to see a very well built model that has a very interesting story behind it. I really like the out-of-the-ordinary markings.

7 hours ago, Wez said:

What's not to like, it's been a pleasure watching this come to fruition and contribute to it some small way.  You've done a cracking job there Martin, like the subtle weathering too.

Looking forward to seeing the Fouga and the Harvard coming to fruition.

Thanks a million, Wez. I'm grateful of your inputs along the way.

5 hours ago, F-32 said:

Lovely big bruiser, that looks kick a55

Thanks mate. 

4 hours ago, SAT69 said:

It's always nice to see a very well built model that has a very interesting story behind it. I really like the out-of-the-ordinary markings.

Thanks a lot. You'll know by now that I favour the off beat and unusual. ;).

4 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful build, looks great in that colour scheme, excellent modelling.

Wulfman

Thanks mate for your kind words

3 hours ago, replicant said:

Very beautiful!!

Thanks a million, mate

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

Excellent build.  Lovely detail and just enough weathering.

Thank you, John. Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A lovely build with an interesting history behind it. 

Thanks Pete. I like to have some meaning to every build. This one, as I have said, was a second build of the first model I threw together when I returned to modelling around seven years ago. Since then I have had regular and open communication with Fred Borne, the son of Sarcife (Jacques). He has helped enormously with this build and the two upcoming Gabonese builds. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

What can  I say, Martin- she's a beaut! You really nailed that dull weathered metal finish, and the unusual scheme really sets the whole thing off! I have really enjoyed and learned a lot from your WIP, too. Keep 'em coming, my friend! :like: (Remind me to tell you the story of a family friend who flew Spads in Korea who was going to convert an AD into a crop duster!)

Mike

On 19 May 2020 at 3:35 PM, 72modeler said:

What can  I say, Martin- she's a beaut! You really nailed that dull weathered metal finish, and the unusual scheme really sets the whole thing off! I have really enjoyed and learned a lot from your WIP, too. Keep 'em coming, my friend! :like: (Remind me to tell you the story of a family friend who flew Spads in Korea who was going to convert an AD into a crop duster!)

Mike

Thanks a lot, Mike. I’m pleased with her. I started to regret adding the static wicks as they kept catching on fingers and breaking off so constant repairs. :(

On 19 May 2020 at 4:12 PM, russ c said:

Fantastic Skyraider there Martin, really like the scheme you chose too

THanks Russ. You know me - something different ;)

On 19 May 2020 at 4:41 PM, Ignacio said:

Fantastic job Martin! Really like the result and it was very interesting to follow your investigation on the subject and WIP.

What´s next?

Best regards

Ignacio

Thanks Ignacio :). I appreciate that. Next is Sarcife’s Fouga and then the Gabon Harvard. The Super Mystere will feature again because the decals are done and in the post to me :). 

On 19 May 2020 at 9:29 PM, zebra said:

Great job Martin. Really interesting model, conversion, story and nice finish. You've got me wondering how I'd turn a Tamiya Skyraider into an AD-4N in 1/48 now.

@zebra I really appreciate that, mate. I love the out-of-the-ordinary :). There were some fiddly bits but it all came together. I don’t know anything about 1/48 but search for an Airwaves PE set, number 48098. That will give you the doors. You would need to scratch the main pylons, centreline shackles, dorsal and ventral antenna/aerials. Its all possible. A cockpit set would be good too. You would also need to scratch the rocket rails. Finally, and well worth the investment, woyld be the book "les Skyraiders Francais". It is in French but it is superb! It has all the detail that you would need. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

12 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Great build, I really like the finished model. And it's a very unusual and interesting subject too, that it's something I'm always happy to see in these pages

I really appreciate that, Giorgio. Thank you. You know me well now! ;)

Martin

Very nice build of Sarcife's Skyraider ! I love when a build is so well documented and the story around the plane is interesting. 

I have a 1/48 french AD-4 in progress and your plane is sometimes in my reference books so, it is not unknow for me.

I will follow you Fouga Magister build if you share the WIP.

Congrats, 

Lolo

Martin..........I really enjoy the background and ultimately the end result of your continuing series here.  The unique markings only add to the beauty of the subject.  I remain impressed!!!!!!!!! :worthy:

Well done my friend!!!!!!

Mike

21 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Very impressive work made on that Skyraider. So an epic build can be had with 1/72. 

Martin

Thank you, mate. Absolutely it can :).

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Fantastic Spad sir even in the Non traditional markings these are great looking beasties. :worthy:

Hi Dennis! Thanks for that. Much appreciated. 

PS: Spad was a US epithet. In France they were often referred to, affectIonately, as "Sky"s ;)

15 hours ago, loloskymaster said:

Very nice build of Sarcife's Skyraider ! I love when a build is so well documented and the story around the plane is interesting. 

I have a 1/48 french AD-4 in progress and your plane is sometimes in my reference books so, it is not unknow for me.

I will follow you Fouga Magister build if you share the WIP.

Congrats, 

Lolo

Thank you Lolo. I guess you count the excellent "Les Skyraiders Francais" within your library! Is your build a straight AD-4, retaining the speedbrakes? My Fouga is almost complete and nearly ready for primer so I wont post a WIP. 

13 hours ago, invidia said:

That's a fantastic looking skyraider.

Thanks mate. I am very pleased how she turned out.

13 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Superbly done indeed! Thanks for the info and it's great to see a Skyraider in other markings, out of the usual. :goodjob:

Miguel

Muchas gracias, Miguel. Not following the crowd is my mantra ;)

10 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Martin..........I really enjoy the background and ultimately the end result of your continuing series here.  The unique markings only add to the beauty of the subject.  I remain impressed!!!!!!!!! :worthy:

Well done my friend!!!!!!

Mike

Hi Mike! Thank you, sincerely. I appreciate tour comments very much. 

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

as the others already said a really superb Skyraider and a great background story 👍

I now officially blame you for wanting to do one in 1/48. I've finally found a source for the Zotz decals and a Tamiya Skyraider so they will be ordered soon (as if my stash isn't big enough already :giggle:)

Cheers

Markus

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thank you Lolo. I guess you count the excellent "Les Skyraiders Francais" within your library! Is your build a straight AD-4, retaining the speedbrakes? My Fouga is almost complete and nearly ready for primer so I wont post a WIP. 

Martin

Hello Martin,

No, the airbrakes are welded as I saw on the pictures of the real planes. So I did make the metal strips that were welded on the airbrakes. I will share my build soon. ;) 

Of course, I have this excellent book nad the Air Fan special issue "Les Skyraider dans l'Armée de l'Air"!

I'm waiting to see your Fouga finished, then

Lolo