Tamiya Spitfire MkI 'Phoney War' +Eduard Big sin set 1/48

Hello,

the kit is Tamiya's new tool Spitfire,along with Eduard Big Sin set for cockpit,wheels and exhausts.

Codes and serial number came from Xtradecal and painted the markings using vinyl masks from Pmask range.

It is a Spitfire MkI K9907,flown by Squadron Leader "Des" Cooke,65 Squadron RAF Kirton In Lindsey May 1940.

6hBTlEq.jpgf9fUEQv.jpgMiZopcJ.jpgrQiN5W6.jpg485W1uO.jpg70ro44s.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

I like the scheme you have chosen. The early war camouflage is Strikingly different  to the later BoB schemes that are more familiar to me.
You’ve achieved a very nice finish to the kit 👍🏻

Steve

• Thanks 1

A beautiful Spitfire, with very convincing weathering. Top marks!

Then, I guess somebody has to tell you the secret about the horse that refuses to die, however much it is beaten: the cockpit crowbar was never red, it was either natural steel or Army bronze green. Unless somebody repainted it in Interior green… 😉

Yes, there are photos of Spits with red crowbars, but they're without exception of modern day restored warbirds. Somebody apparently wrote a regulation about it, for the sole purpose of confusing scale modellers.

And yes, there might be a an odd photo showing a parked Spit with the elevators pointing straight back. But since you haven't included a a stick locking bar in that beautifully detailed cockpit, it can be safely assumed that the elevators should droop a bit – very typical for the Spit.

Now, with these very minor matters out of the way, you have created a fabulous Spitifire model! Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

A beautiful Spitfire, with very convincing weathering. Top marks!

Then, I guess somebody has to tell you the secret about the horse that refuses to die, however much it is beaten: the cockpit crowbar was never red, it was either natural steel or Army bronze green. Unless somebody repainted it in Interior green… 😉

Yes, there are photos of Spits with red crowbars, but they're without exception of modern day restored warbirds. Somebody apparently wrote a regulation about it, for the sole purpose of confusing scale modellers.

And yes, there might be a an odd photo showing a parked Spit with the elevators pointing straight back. But since you haven't included a a stick locking bar in that beautifully detailed cockpit, it can be safely assumed that the elevators should droop a bit – very typical for the Spit.

Now, with these very minor matters out of the way, you have created a fabulous Spitifire model! Congratulations!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for your comments and points.

I know the story about that crowbar thing😊,but for some unknown reason i wanted to paint it red.

Nevertheless it's an easy thing to fix it.

About the elevators you're right.A little drop down would be perfect,but i wanted to build it straight OOB,and to concentrate more to paint,weathering and markings.

Regards from Greece!

• Like 2

The new book from Wingleader, "Supermarine Spitfire Mk I" in the Photo Archive series has a picture on page 28 of this Spit with the elevators horizontal.  A pilot is in it, whether this makes a difference, I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick851 said:

The new book from Wingleader, "Supermarine Spitfire Mk I" in the Photo Archive series has a picture on page 28 of this Spit with the elevators horizontal.  A pilot is in it, whether this makes a difference, I don't know.

Yep,that's the photo that i used for reference.

That's a marvelous photo series.It makes me wanna build another one with 2-blade propeller!

Elias, this is among the very best Spitfires I've ever seen. Great job🙂

You have captured something I would call "Spitfire Spirit". This is the image I see every time when I think about Britain and how the British people fought in 1940... Just beautiful.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Elias, this is among the very best Spitfires I've ever seen. Great job🙂

You have captured something I would call "Spitfire Spirit". This is the image I see every time when I think about Britain and how the British people fought in 1940... Just beautiful.

Cheers,

Antti

That was the idea behind this build.To catch that image and atmosphere at that particular time.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, Nick851 said:

It would make a difference if the pilot actually has his hands on the stick, holding it in a neutral position…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...