English Electric Lightning F6

First model in a while (and there was me saying I was going to speed up my completion time!). An Airfix EE Lightning F6 in 1/72 scale. Being a new tooling, I had high hopes going into this build that this was going to be enjoyable; several months later I can definitely say that I'm happy to see the back of it! The fit around the cockpit was incredibly disappointing, especially having spent a good length of time on the tub using photo-etch from Eduard. Large amounts of flashing on some of the smaller pieces too, particularly the pitot tube, saw me binning that and now having to think of a replacement part.

Also had the satin coat (Ammo by MIG) reacting with the Microset/Microsol at the decal stage, and leaving the finish far from perfect.  :(

Still; I got through it, and finished it and I guess that is what is important!

Airbrushed using Hataka redline paints, Eduard photoetch for the detailing:

IMG_2355

IMG_2353

IMG_2351 (1)

And a final one of the cockpit since I spent enough time on it!:

IMG_1617

• Like 27

Fine Lightning! Looks really great especially with that sharkmouth marking.  The grey camouflage colours are spot on! Nothing worse than having some problems at the eleventh hour like you had with the paint reaction. Shame that it sounds like another Airfix kit that is let down by small niggles 😕 I've got four of these in the hoard so thanks for the tips and heads up. 👍

Sounds like the kit was a bit of a dog, but you've certainly made it look great, that's a great looking Lightning!

Thanks all; I'd say that the kit isn't all awful, but a couple of niggles that let it down. The fitting of the cockpit when closing up the fuselage being the main one; I think over people have mentioned it in other WIP threads so worth checking those out; it just ended up filing and filing bits of the inside of the intake housing to get it sitting 'nearly' right.

That has turned out very nice mate, the seat is especially good with all the added etch - posing the canopy open is also a good idea to show it off.

The fit around the front end of these is very poor - I had to gouge away loads of plastic when I built one a few years ago.  It is a lovely kit though once it is all together and looks great on display.

Phil