Us recce jeep in normandy 1944

Hi All, this a vignette I made +/- 20 years ago in classic Verlinden way. Jeep is from Tamiya as two figures with Verlinden heads. Accessories are a mix Tamiya/Italeri + homemade sandbags.

Hope you like.

Ciao

Filippo

ERpQxIG.jpg

Qbi3xez.jpg

UVvAMzD.jpg

PXHzsZU.jpg

fcsUto4.jpg

X4bz38U.jpg

TipuKD7.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

A very well finished diorama which would certainly look at home in one of Francois Verlinden's books: it's interesting how the style of dioramas and models have evolved over time to take advantage of the greater range of aftermarket products and finishing materials that we now have access to.

The chap in the goggles does look like he's having a well earned stretch after a long jeep drive though.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Richard! 👍I remember. It was 1980 when I returned to military modelling after a break of some years. In those days, I must confess, I bought Tamiya catalouges only for the central pages "dedicated" to Mr F. Verlinden dioramas. Pure art. His scenic ability was second to none (maybe Shep Paine). Then arrived The Verlinden way books. I literally consume the books! Then arrived his resin accessories. A real cure-all as that times not many after market kits were on the market.

Anyway I thank Mr Verlinden as he learned to me the real rule (to me) for a discriminating modeller: to observe averything with sharp attention. And observe many many many times!

Thank you John, really appreciated! 👍

Ciao

Filippo

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

I remember. It was 1980 when I returned to military modelling after a break of some years. In those days, I must confess, I bought Tamiya catalouges only for the central pages "dedicated" to Mr F. Verlinden dioramas. Pure art. His scenic ability was second to none (maybe Shep Paine). Then arrived The Verlinden way books. I literally consume the books! Then arrived his resin accessories. A real cure-all as that times not many after market kits were on the market.

Lovely diorama bud and i recognised the influence straight away

spacer.pngspacer.png

He had a massive effect on all military modelers all around the world so did Shep Paine (Still have his books also ) and i still use them for reference to this day.

As i said lovely little diorama and a real homage to the great man.

• Like 3

M3talpig you're right! F. Verlinden introduced a Darwinian revolution into military modelling. Standing ovation.

Ciao

Filippo

• Like 1

I've still got a couple of Verlinden's books and one by Shep Payne. They certainly had a big influence on modelling. Up til then, who'd ever heard of dry brushing?

John.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Up til then, who'd ever heard of dry brushing?

John.

Absolutely! And until then I didn't know washing process.

Could be a nice idea to open a "Verlinden contest" reproducing some of his best dioramas or models.

Ciao

Filippo 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I've still got a couple of Verlinden's books and one by Shep Payne. They certainly had a big influence on modelling. Up til then, who'd ever heard of dry brushing?

Spot on 

1 hour ago, Phil1960 said:

Absolutely! And until then I didn't know washing process.

Could be a nice idea to open a "Verlinden contest" reproducing some of his best dioramas or models

Again so true.Between Francois and Shepard they changed the way i looked at modeling..... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

They're sitting in the bookshelf above my desk to this day.

One of them contains a chapter on converting a Sherman into a 105mm howitzer: how did Mons'r Verlinden represent the smoke in the photographs ?  He blew his cigarette smoke over the model whilst he was photographing it !  Different times obviously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

How did Mons'r Verlinden represent the smoke in the photographs ?  He blew his cigarette smoke over the model whilst he was photographing it !  Different times obviously.

Yeah I remember! Simply too bright!👍

Very nice build.

Just one niggle. The M1 carbine is lying on its right hand side, this means the cocking handle is downwards. No trained soldier would lay their weapon on the cocking handle.

• Thanks 1

On 20/05/2020 at 14:20, Phil1960 said:

Thank you John for your kind advice! 👍... but who knows the googles man may be a rookie! 😀

Ciao

Filippo

Or he could be an Officer ;)

• Haha 2