Airfix Top Gun 1/72 Jester's Skyhawk

Uncle Dick

On 11/29/2020 at 5:11 AM, Jackman said:

Dang!  Not only did they get the type of Skyhawk wrong (A-4B), they got the decals wrong too. 

https://blog.jadlamracingmodels.com/2020/10/12/review-airfix-1-72-jesters-a-4-skyhawk/

The national insignia (stars & bars) is inverted + angled/slanted bars.   And the brown part of the decals ( eg Jet Intake decals) looks too dark to me.  I think they got the A/C serial number wrong too. Supposed to be '151095' and not '151005'.

Testors decals are all tan & no brown, , Italeri got the wrong shade of tan and Airfix got the wrong shade of Brown + wrong stars & bars.  😩

Can't anyone get the decals right?  I may have to mix & match all 3 kit decals with Fujimi's 'Top Gun' Skyhawk which, not only is the correct version of Skyhawk, it also includes Jester's & Viper's names as decals (but, unfortunately, no tan/brown decals).

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10025073

And it wasn't even released as a movie tie-in!

Edited... I misread the serial number,,..

151005 was an F-4B, so not a Skyhawk... 151095 is correct. This aircraft is still existing today, exhibited in Japan in Blue Angels livery even if she never flew with the team

Edited by Giorgio N

1 hour ago, Linus said:

Hello gentlemen, italeri also released a box dedicated to TOP GUN with F-14 and A-4, and I hope it is more decent !!!

Linus

It is more decent when it comes to the type of aircraft used, as the Skyhwak in the Italeri set is almost the right version (listed as F, should be an E but the two only differ in details).

The Italeri Tomcat is also much better than the Airfix kit, although sure quite far from today's state of the art... The current Airfix A-4B on the other hand is a nice and decently modern kit and overall better than the Esci kit used in the Italeri set. Mind, the Esci kit is not bad but it's not to the same level of the Airfix one. That however is the wrong variant.

• Like 1

TBH why are people getting worked up over Top Bum....its a Fishead film....It used to be on all the time Whilst on Ark Royal(CVS) back in the day ....demanded by the fisheads ....no self respecting Air Engineering rating would bother after the once🤣🤣🤣I mean the bit in the cockpit with the Ejection gun detant wheel fitted(big brass wheel)....as soon as they go inverted the seat would just slide out.....details details🤨🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

It is more decent when it comes to the type of aircraft used, as the Skyhwak in the Italeri set is almost the right version (listed as F, should be an E but the two only differ in details).

The Italeri Tomcat is also much better than the Airfix kit, although sure quite far from today's state of the art... The current Airfix A-4B on the other hand is a nice and decently modern kit and overall better than the Esci kit used in the Italeri set. Mind, the Esci kit is not bad but it's not to the same level of the Airfix one. That however is the wrong variant.

Giorgio, even the Italeri kits are dated but much more correct, I have seen the decals and even those seem to be more correct.

5 hours ago, junglierating said:

TBH why are people getting worked up over Top Bum....its a Fishead film....It used to be on all the time Whilst on Ark Royal(CVS) back in the day ....demanded by the fisheads ....no self respecting Air Engineering rating would bother after the once🤣🤣🤣I mean the bit in the cockpit with the Ejection gun detant wheel fitted(big brass wheel)....as soon as they go inverted the seat would just slide out.....details details🤨🤣🤣

lol! In before some "fishhead" comes in whining about "crabs"..

(All in humour of course)

• Haha 1