F-104G Starfighter 1/48 Kinetic / Markings TBD - For now Canadian CF-104

Rob, FWIW … I've used Belcher's decals on a few of my models & haven't had any problems whatsoever. I found they reacted perfectly with my usual decal solution (Gunze's Mr. Mark Softener), but I'm sure they'll work just as well with whatever's out there.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Rob

Ill follow along for the duration if that’s ok as this kit is on my to build list. 

Nice choice of markings to. However if you should change your mind I made a Belgian Starfighter in NMF a couple of years ago below. 

49913929431_3a17d3080d_b.jpgA07B8B84-080F-4415-8885-6D4BCB7488D9 by James Halls, on Flickr

Its the Hasegawa kit with Armycast decals. The ladder and sidewinders are from the Daco set which is excellent if you’re feeling rich!

Look forward to more progress. 

James

• Like 2

Thanks James,

That Belgian scheme does look really good as well and I couldn't have done it any better. Nice work!

Trying to figure out though if I need to make any dramatic changes for a NMF CF-104. The instrument panels are different, but I do not think it is a major deal breaker:

CF-104:

spacer.png

F-104G:

spacer.png

Anyway, next see what these landing gear differences are between the 2 versions.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 3

Thanks Rob

I think the only thing with the UC is the choice between skinny tiers or the fatter tiers and their corresponding doors. I think the Canadian 104’s had the skinnier ones but am happy to be proven wrong. 

James

41 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Thanks Rob

I think the only thing with the UC is the choice between skinny tiers or the fatter tiers and their corresponding doors. I think the Canadian 104’s had the skinnier ones but am happy to be proven wrong. 

James

James,

I think you could be right.

Did come across some other posts for the Hasegawa 104 kit, discussing the same:

Rgds,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
Insert link
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

Just did a little bit of work on the top electronics bay

Nice touch with two of the electronics boxes different colours, seems almost the norm in reference photos.        :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Fitting the cockpit and electronic bay before closing up the fuselage;

spacer.png

Came across this image. Don't think I will be incorporating this load out, but is certainly impressive:

spacer.png

To be continued,

Regards,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
additional photo material
  • Like 5

Rob, if you still feel like changing your mind, there were a few "Dutch" F-104's in natural metal. Actually they were built by Fokker for the Luftwaffe but they were loaned to 306 Squadron at Twenthe so they had a few more to use when they were just starting up with the 104. They all had the Iron Crosses covered but still used the KG 1xx plane numbers as used by Fokker for the Luftwaffe builds. When more Dutch ones were delivered, they were transferred to the Luftwaffe.

Here's one:

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/kg125.htm

Edited by Creepy Pete
tiny hedgehogs
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Rob, if you still feel like changing your mind, there were a few "Dutch" F-104's in natural metal. Actually they were built by Fokker for the Luftwaffe but they were loaned to 306 Squadron at Twenthe so they had a few more to use when they were just starting up with the 104. They all had the Iron Crosses covered but still used the KG 1xx plane numbers as used by Fokker for the Luftwaffe builds. When more Dutch ones were delivered, they were transferred to the Luftwaffe.

Here's one:

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/kg125.htm

Hi Pete,

That does look pretty cool. I think I just have to build a 2nd one....

Rgds,

Rob

Hi,

Just a little bit of further progress. (Spent most of my time yesterday trying to piece together a Grumman Avenger turret).

Nevertheless, added the home made mix of filler to the main fuselage seams:

spacer.png

And... sanded away. There was quite a bit of a "step" between the bottom fuselage halves:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will check it later with primer.

Oh, almost forgot,did the cover for the electronics bay. While trying to remove moulding marks with my power tool, I nearly ruined the part. Therefore dressed it up a bit to take the attention away.

Hmmm.......perhaps a little overdressed 🤔

spacer.png

Ah well, may just have to leave that Electronics bay closed.

That's all, thanks for watching.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 4

Hi,

Been working just a little on the fuselage and intakes. Not much to show.

Am trying to find some more images of these CF-104  "X-planes" used for testing as shown below:

spacer.png

The Belcher decals do provide decals for the 704/705.

spacer.png

I am contemplating whether to fit the Belcher BB14 weapons set to replicate the aircraft above and mount the 5 BL-755's.

Have ordered the set today from Mike Belcher in Canada. (excellent communication by the way). Just wondering what the "diagonal" wrapped white bands around the bombs are? Have found a Tornado with the same, but no close up.

spacer.png

Also wonder what the orange little dome is in front of the centre fuselage pylon. Could it be a camera to record the weapon release from the aircraft since it was used for weapons testing from what I gather?

Anyway, see if I can do some more browsing this evening to find out a little bit more about these x-planes. Any info is naturally welcome.

Edit and update: Found a nice website with some great CF/F-104 images:

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-6-jets-canadair-cf104-starfighter_677.html

Rgds,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
addition
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

Also wonder what the orange little dome is in front of the centre fuselage pylon. Could it be a camera to record the weapon release from the aircraft since it was used for weapons testing from what I gather?

Quite certain that is a camera installation but certain others here will confirm.

• Thanks 1

I never knew an F-104 could carry that much in the way of conventional weapons. You'd have a very impressive model with a weapons load out like that. Come to think of it, I've never seen an F-104 model with anything other than external tanks, Sidewinders or the Italian version of the Sparrow III missile. (Aspide?)

• Like 2

The F-104 coukd actually carry quite a lot, but not very far.... Kormorans as used by Germany were quite a load as well. I think the BL755 was the regular  Canadian alert load in Germany ... if 4 or 5, no idea though!

Have you seen this one? @SAT69

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Stars/wS731.htm

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 17:35, Patrick Martin said:

There happens to be a book that covers all of this...

shameless plug

http://www.canmilair.com/products.php?cat=2

PM

I have that book, a great reference. If you look under the wings of 104705 you'll note they are light grey. According to the book it is Grey 501-109. This site says you can use Tamiya XF-12 IJN Grey for a weathered match...http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/aircraft_clr.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fubar57 said:

I have that book, a great reference. If you look under the wings of 104705 you'll note they are light grey. According to the book it is Grey 501-109. This site says you can use Tamiya XF-12 IJN Grey for a weathered match...http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/aircraft_clr.html

Hi, thanks for the info. I am currently trying to get hold of the book here in the UK. Seem to have located a copy.

Appreciate the help.

Rgds,

Rob

Ok, it's time for an update on the build.

Attached the wings and horizontal stabilizer. Ask you can see I had to put a little bit of filler down along the wing to fuselage joint (CA-mix).

The nose cone is not attached yet, it's just for show at the moment.......

Off to do some sanding!

spacer.png

Thanks for watching.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 4

Hi, 

Had some trouble with the intakes. Tried to make the inside seam-less, but removed too much material. For anyone building this kit; Perhaps live with the raised lip on the inside (not really visible). You need the lip material to get a proper fit for the cone plate. 

Also there is a little bit of a step between intakes and maine fuselage now and I am building the slight void up with CA-mix. The transition on the real thing is naturally very smooth and gradual as shown in the image:

spacer.png

Building up CA-mix layers to achieve the same. Most other fillers are a little porous, so would probably show up on my NMF:

spacer.png

Only glued the aft part of the intake. The cone still needs to be clamped and glued to the main fuselage due to my error of removing too much material earlier. Should all still work eventually.

Thanks for watching,

Regards,

Rob

• Like 1

Ok.............major setback on the build!

Joined the intakes to the fuselage and got everything nice and smooth. However, the cones do not like to be forced towards the fuselage.

There remains a gap and even more so at the bottom. 

spacer.png

For a moment I thought of giving up on the build, since the intakes are now so rigidly attached to the fuselage.

Rigidly, but only to the back. Purposely I did not yet attach the front part of the intakes. So I was wondering if I can still come up with an elegant solution.

So got the razor saw (I know this is starting to look like a botched job) and detached the front part.

spacer.png

The front intake removed:

spacer.png

Since I need more material, I made a new intake sidewall from plastic card. Also I isolated the cone from the previous sidewall and made a step so we should have everything flush.

spacer.png

The new front intake (not glued).

spacer.png

Below is the dry-fit. Some fine tuning to be done, but it may look better than it did previously:

spacer.png

This kit is taking a little longer than anticipated, but I don't want to give in just yet.

Again, nothing wrong with the kit, just did not pay the right amount of attention.😉

Thanks for watching,

Regards,

Rob

• Like 3