F-104G Starfighter 1/48 Kinetic / Markings TBD - For now Canadian CF-104

Hi,

My next project will be Kinetic's F-104G Starfighter.

I have not decided what scheme to choose.

The box is the Dutch "Volkel" edition, but I would really like to have a metal finish, so I think that leaves a Dutch version out of the equation..........?

spacer.png

There is an all grey Dutch version, but this may be a little bland for a f-104:

spacer.png

I am leaning towards a Norwegian f-104 in all NMF, although Eduard does a standard boxing of this scheme. It does look rather cool:

spacer.png

Then there is also a Belgian scheme in NMF, but I would have to purchase yet another set of decals for this version. It is an option nonetheless.......

spacer.png

So far I have the kit's decals which builds the Dutch Starfighter as displayed on the box art and then I have the Xtradecal sheet as per below:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway, some time still to decide on the final finish.

Did do some work on the cockpit while waiting for "paint to dry" on my recent T-33.

The seat belts on the ejection seat came as photo etch with the kit, but I added some netting to the side and guitar string for the hoses (courtesy of my teenage son).

It did make for a tighter squeeze in the cockpit tub.

spacer.png

To be continued,

Thanks for watching,

Regards,

Rob

• Like 11

nice!

I prefer Italian or Spanish natural metal Starfighters if this is of help to you ;) 

with white top wings and lagre numbers and roundels...

like those:

https://series-espanolas.com/es/77-f-104g-tf-104g-starfighters-

or MiG Jimenez:

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/plastic-model-kits/2259-f-104-g-starfighter-8432074085041.html

f-104-g-starfighter.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

The cockpit looks great Rob.

Thanks HC,

Cockpit done for a large part courtesy to Tesco’s cocktail sticks.........

I do like the German navy version a lot as well, but someone beat me to it quite recently .... 🙂

Rgds,

Rob

Did not do much on the Starfighter today. have done some work on my Avenger which I pick up every now and then.

Haven't ruled out the Norwegian 104, but did order some decals from Holland. Think I may go for a NMF Belgian version. Something slightly different........

spacer.png

Never used decals from Syh@rt before. hope they are any good.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 2

Had a look at the exhaust assembly. The instructions have you painted the turbine section  a steel colour and the pipe smoke metallic. 

Looking at some images there is to my eyes hardly a  metal colour observable:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Since I had primed the exhaust parts black, I was wondering if Tamiya weathering pastels could help create a look similar to above images:

spacer.png

Not there yet, but perhaps I can come close after some more work..........

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some more work needed...............

To be continued

Regards,

Rob

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Syhart decals are GOOD!

and the Belgian scheme is nearly Spanish....  but the tail St Andrews cross mostly anyways ;)

Thanks, that's good to know.

Rgds

Hi,

As you may have gathered I have been struggling deciding on a scheme for this build. I have considered a NMF Norwegian and Belgian version and even ordered the decal sheets for them.

Looking at the kit parts though, I came across a gun port cover:

spacer.png

Furthermore I discovered these as of yet unidentified parts which may turn out to be RWR antennas/sensors? Are they.............? 

spacer.png

Which made me think if this kit builds into a CF-104?

If so, what other changes are required? How different is the CF-104 from the G?

Will the cockpit and ejection seat still do?

It does come with 2 sets of wheels to choose from, but which one for a CF-104: (Probably the wheels on the right side)

spacer.png

Have to look whether to use "flat" or bulged main undercarriage doors? 

spacer.png

What about the exhaust nozzle. Does it require the extra supplied nozzle?

spacer.png

I am really warming towards a Canadian version, just wondering if there  were any NMF versions around with the RWR antennas because I like the look of them.

Some more internet browsing required this evening. So far I only came across a Hasegawa conversion to CF-104 so far, but haven't found a Kinetic build (yet).

If this were to be the scheme to go for then I am not planning on fitting it with the large belly pods that I have seen in images:

spacer.png

Just have to order yet another sheet of decals....................

Regards,

Rob

• Like 2

Rob … 2 things. 

One, without seeing the instructions, the rear fuselage RWR pods appear to be there in you sprue shots.  What do the instructions say about parts 17/72?  If those are the RWR pods, then I assume the nose mounted pod would be there as well.  

Second point … in your photo of the CF-104, that large belly pod is a VICON camera pod - certainly detachable and not carried by all CF-104.  Usually a specific squadron would be given the photo recon mission in addition to their primary mission. Try Googling "CF-104 images" to get a good variety of schemes … NMF or otherwise.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

417 squadron showed up at a Red Flag exercise and wreaked havoc and even tried some grey paint to blend in.

7ivz5d5.jpg

Many CF-104 experts on Britmodeller, hopefully they can chime in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Rob … 2 things. 

One, without seeing the instructions, the rear fuselage RWR pods appear to be there in you sprue shots.  What do the instructions say about parts 17/72?  If those are the RWR pods, then I assume the nose mounted pod would be there as well.   Second point … in your photo of the CF-104, that large belly pod is a VICON camera pod - certainly detachable and not carried by all CF-104.  Usually a specific squadron would be given the photo recon mission in addition to their primary mission. Try Googling "CF-104 images" to get a good variety of schemes … NMF or otherwise.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Unless I am missing something, I cannot locate the parts 72/73 in my F-104G instructions. First I was assuming there was one forward centre RWR and 1 aft on the SB side only. I think though as you pointed out both parts are for the aft section. In fact, there appears to be a location on the inside of the aft fuselages indicating a possible position to be removed. (For a future CF-104 boxing?)

spacer.png

On the back of the alleged RWR parts there is a profile which corresponds with the dimensions of the rectangular presumed cut away marking.

spacer.png

I am trying to locate the forward RWR on the sprues, I have seen some suspects, but I cannot find a close up reference in Google, assume it should be very similar. Trying to find a close up image.

Thanks for the come back,

Rgds

Rob

Rob, from your description of those parts not being referenced in the instructions, I'd say that all(?) the parts for planned future releases are already on the sprues, it's just a matter of recognizing them as not being used.  I've never built a Kinetic kit (1/72 is my scale) … does Kinetic have a sprue layout diagram at the beginning of their instructions?  Several of the mfgrs I'm acquainted with, do so for their kits and if there are optional parts on the sprue that aren't used for that particular build, they're so indicated - usually with an "X" through them or 'greyed' out

Anyway, PM me with your email and I'll send you some CF-104 shots including those RWR pods - nose and rear).  That may assist in your decision as to which '104 you'll end up with. BTW, love the work you've done with that cockpit & the business end of the Starfighter … impressive.

Scott

2 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Rob, from your description of those parts not being referenced in the instructions, I'd say that all(?) the parts for planned future releases are already on the sprues, it's just a matter of recognizing them as not being used.  I've never built a Kinetic kit (1/72 is my scale) … does Kinetic have a sprue layout diagram at the beginning of their instructions?  Several of the mfgrs I'm acquainted with, do so for their kits and if there are optional parts on the sprue that aren't used for that particular build, they're so indicated - usually with an "X" through them or 'greyed' out

Anyway, PM me with your email and I'll send you some CF-104 shots including those RWR pods - nose and rear).  That may assist in your decision as to which '104 you'll end up with. BTW, love the work you've done with that cockpit & the business end of the Starfighter … impressive.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

There is a sprue diagram, but it does not grey out the unnecessary parts.

Did manage to find below:

spacer.png

Also located another part on the sprues not listed in the instructions:

spacer.png

It is some way removed in appearance from an ECM antenna as per below though:

spacer.png

Rgds,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
grammar

Rob, those are the 2 close-up pics that I have, so you got that sorted.  Also on you sprue shot, it seems part #26 would qualify for the nose ECM, except you are missing the two ball-like sensors.  If they're not on the plastic sprues, maybe they're on the clear sprues?

The entire issue may be moot as you stated that you're intent upon doing a NMF aircraft. The German-based CF-104's were cam'd by the early half of the 70's* and those ECM sensors only started to appear in the latter half of the 70's , again ... only on the European-based aircraft and only on the single-seaters.   In Canada, the existing NMF finishes continued until retirement.  The cam'd CF-104's only made an appearance in Canada when we started bringing our Starfighter's back from Germany for the CF-18's arrival in Europe.  In terms of the ECM fittings, they never were fitted to any NMF CF-104 (even in Canada).  I'm not sure if they even stayed fitted on the returning CF-104's. 

FWIW: If you do decide on a NMF CF-104, when you look at colour photos, those CF-104 with the white tailplanes (both sides) were based in Germany.  Those with insignia red tailplanes, were based in Canada, also if you decide in the future to do a CF-104D (dual seat), they always carried the aux. tanks on the wing pylons. In addition, check out Leading Edge decals for CF-104 decal sheets - he does a few including some NMF examples.  Keep in mind, if you don't wish to do the exact a/c he's provided for, he does supply enough numbers that you can change the 'last 3' to almost any a/c.   (http://www.lemdecal.com)

* In 1971, the nuclear-strike role was changed to a more conventional attack role, thus the camouflage and new weapons and defensive requirements.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Thanks 1

It indeed looks like most parts are present for a CF-104 in this box, except for some cockpit details, some undercarriage details from what I understand.

Regarding the RWR sensors:

spacer.png

See also below thread:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/308379-148-lockheed-tf-104g-j-starfighter-by-kinetic-f-104g-j-released-tf-104g-in-july-2020/page/11/

Rgds

Rob

• Like 1

Rob, of the 3 you show, I'd place the Belcher Bits as my 1st choice for shape alone, DACO 2nd & Kinetic a distant 3rdd.. In case you missed it in my previous reply to your thread, I mentioned that you should check out Leading Edge decals as he's currently listing a few CF-104 sheets in the various scales, ranging from the 'special schemes', thru NMF up to final variegated cam.  

Scott

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Rob, of the 3 you show, I'd place the Belcher Bits as my 1st choice for shape alone, DACO 2nd & Kinetic a distant 3rdd.. In case you missed it in my previous reply to your thread, I mentioned that you should check out Leading Edge decals as he's currently listing a few CF-104 sheets in the various scales, ranging from the 'special schemes', thru NMF up to final variegated cam.  

Scott

Just got the Belcher decals. Never tried them before. Hope they are ok.

spacer.png

Canadian scheme it is then...............

Rgds

• Like 1