1/72nd AZ Model Hawker Hurricane MkI in Belgian service

Hawker Hurricane MkI, H22, 2/I/2AÈ (Chardon), Aéronautique Militaire Belge, Schaffen Airfield, Diest, Belgium, May 1940.

49906559602_8dd52ba83e_b.jpg

In my quest to try to model every operational military aircraft in active service in the Western European theatre during 1940, the Hurricane of the Belgian Air Force was an obvious choice. Realising the urgent need for modern aircraft to update their defences, two Belgian officers were despatched to the UK to seek new types. The Hurricane was found to be ideal. Orders were placed for 40 aircraft, plus contracts to let the Belgians licence-build another 80.

Fifteen Hurricanes had been delivered by September 1939. Only 11 were fully operational as the events of May 1940 began to unfold. Like most of them, Hurricane H22 was destroyed on the ground by German attacks on 10 May.

The ever-useful and informative Belgian Wings site section on the Hurricane.

49906559622_df6586e3ee_b.jpg

49906559687_a947b4e3cf_b.jpg

49905744578_9223d05194_b.jpg

49906256161_cd2c4a7466_b.jpg

49906559922_9bac6e3734_b.jpg

49906256351_71480467cd_b.jpg

49906559967_5b86d8353a_b.jpg

The AZ Model kit originated with Sword back at the turn of the century. The boxing I had came with markings for three RAF aces of the Battle of Britain. With RAF aircraft already in the cabinet, the fact the kit included a two-bladed propeller made me think I could build it into a Belgian plane. The generous provision by a fellow BMer of a set of spare Airfix transfers from their early MkI kit gave me the opportunity. The kit had its foibles, with some very nicely moulded resin parts for the cockpit (no longer visible) and other details. I found most were unsuitable or unusable, and raided the stash for an old 1970s Airfix Hurricane box which came to the rescue for some parts. The vac-form canopy came from Falcon. I brush painted the model with Humbrol and Revell acrylics, plus Humbrol metallic enamel aluminium colours for underneath. The radio masts were made from brass rod for strength.

The Work In Progress thread starts here:

• Like 36

Looks very nice, Heather. It's great to see some of the more unusual schemes. And you're right, there is not much you can see inside a 1:72 Hurricane cockpit, especially with a closed canopy. The vac canopy really does the trick for realism - injection canopies for a Hurricane are always too thick in this scale, and the overlapping rear portion never looks quite right.

Cheers,

Bill

11 hours ago, VG 33 said:

I like her very much in these colors.

It adds a different slant to the usual Hurricane. I’ve grown to like the look, too.

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I especially like the 'eye level' photos.

Thanks Cookie. I’ll pass on your comment to the photographer. ;) 

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Looks very nice, Heather. It's great to see some of the more unusual schemes. And you're right, there is not much you can see inside a 1:72 Hurricane cockpit, especially with a closed canopy.

Although the resin sidewalls were commendably thin, adding the thickness of the injection fuselage makes it smaller than your average Bf109! No room for chunky pilots.

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice model and refreshing to see other than "the usual" markings. 

Thank you.

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Lovely job on that heather, they look really good in Belgian roundels to my eye

The splash of brightness catches the eye, doesn’t it. 

5 hours ago, kapam said:

Very tidy job there!

I'm enjoying the scheme & markings - a little out of the ordinary.

👍

Thanks! When I first embarked on my 1940 odyssey I didn’t know I was going to build beyond British and German subjects. I’m now looking Norwegian planes, and even a nagging thought I may need to think about Finland and the USSR. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, JWM said:

What next? Fiat CR 42 maybe?

I should get one. The Italian contingent already has one in a box.

The Fox MkVII is an Omega resin. It looks very nice in the box. I will keep an eye out for an earlier Fox variant from that maker, but they’re a bit like hen's teeth. The Firefly is one I wasn’t aware of, so I’ll have to add that to my list!

Next? Well, I have decided to dip back into French single-seaters for a spell with another plane I’d never heard of. Watch out for the French WIP thread when that makes it to the bench!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice!

What next? Fiat CR 42 maybe?

5981896923_bb49bc0d25_b.jpg

J-W

Hi Jerzy

Good page of a nice book (Wingmasters Hors Série 8 in 2005), just two pages further you can watch my MPM Dutch Fokker DXXI build. 🙂

Patrick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

you can watch my MPM Dutch Fokker DXXI build

I’ve one of those in the queue. Currently four Dutch planes in the stash, and always looking out for more. :like:

5 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Jerzy

Good page of a nice book (Wingmasters Hors Série 8 in 2005), just two pages further you can watch my MPM Dutch Fokker DXXI build. 🙂

Patrick

Congrats!  :) Patrick. I do not have this book, I have just found this page looking for illustration with Belgian machines from 1940....

Regards

J-W

Hi Heather! In my early days of modelling, in the sixties, I was always drawn to anything with Belgian markings. I remember, for example, the Airfix Battle. I love your foray in to the belgian world of WW2 aviation. Very nice.

Martin

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JWM said:

The Firefly exists in 1/72 as short run injected  by Aeroclub

Interesting. Thanks for discovering that. I’ve made a note. :thumbsup:

Surveying my stash at present, I have enough to keep me busy for quite some time as it is. I am beginning to fill in some of the more obscure types, like the Firefly for example, but I don’t think they’re a priority right now. Actually, much more important is getting a much larger display cabinet. I have quite literally run out of room to display any more models behind glass. :frantic:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I’ve one of those in the queue. Currently four Dutch planes in the stash, and always looking out for more. :like:

Now you've made me curious. D-XXI, G-1, T-V, C-V? Or the one that got away - the FK-58?

30 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Now you've made me curious. D-XXI, G-1, T-V, C-V? Or the one that got away - the FK-58?

I’ll answer in cryptic fashion: yes, no, yes, yes and yes (although technically French). Also FK-51.

There are plenty more yet, I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1