Dambuster (Revell 1/72)

Hello All, I thought I'd present my attempt at Revell's 1/72 Dambuster:

IMG-1874.jpg

I received this as a birthday present from a pal which although gratefully received, I would have probably bought the Airfix one - would be interested to know if people have built both and whether the latest Airfix one is actually superior? It's an acceptable build although the wheel bays and undercarriage was in my opinion, poorly engineered and not very strong. I also had a significant step on the fuselage halves but corrected them. You can see the fit issues on the wheel bays and undercarriage plus the repairs I had to make after one them completely collapsed! I added some extra detail to the nose area and tried a 'marbling' technique to paint the camo on a black base, rather than my usual grey primer and pre-shading. I actually prefer this approach and am pleased with the effect despite the hand cramps from the extra time with the airbrush!

Had some issues with the decals silvering which show up on the black prominently and on the wing stencils. Not sure why as I applied my usual technique... Anyway I hope you like. Cheers, JB.

IMG-1875.jpg
IMG-1876.jpg
IMG-1877.jpg
IMG-1878.jpg
IMG-1879.jpg
IMG-1880.jpg
IMG-1881.jpg
IMG-1882.jpg
IMG-1883.jpg
IMG-1884.jpg
IMG-1887.jpg
IMG-1889.jpg
IMG-1890.jpg

• Like 19

Helllo JB,

your model came out really well!

I have built both the Airfix and the Revell kit.

I remember having issues with decal silvering on the Revell release, and agree with you on the undercarriage being pretty complicated to assemble.

Both the Revell and Airfix kits have their little glitches, but in retrospect I prefer the Revell Lancaster over Airfix because of finer surface structure and lower retail price (in my area).

I would replace the decals for aftermarket options on my next build though.

• Thanks 1

You've made a very good with this. I've only ever built the Revell offering and must confess it presented challenges so well done you with this model. I have another in my stash so may have another go.

• Thanks 1

Love it. I built this a few years ago when I was brush painting. Now I’ve seen yours I’ll have to seriously think about repaint mine using my airbrush. 

• Thanks 1

Brilliant build there!

I haven't built a Lancaster since I was a kid (it was Airfix's G-George), but I think I'd like to do one sometime.

Would be interested in the opinions for this scale - Revell, Airfix or (for that matter) Hasegawa?

Anyway, that's a lovely replica.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I love Airfix, it's been with me since the 1950s.

I vividly remember building their original Lancaster and wondering at its beauty. Of course, this was pre-PE, Pre- pre shading and pre the rise of obsession with accurate lines versus someone else's published plans.

The Revell Dambuster on this post looks great and I am waiting on a Revell Lanc's arrival from Germany. It should get here any year now.

I have felt disappointment with some recent Airfix releases: their new Lanc and their 1/72 Blenheims I and IV in particular, where tolerances are so fine in some areas and sloppy in others ( the canopy fitting on the Blenheims, the engine nacelle cover plates on the Lancaster) in particular.

I am not an expert builder, even after over sixty-five years at the task, but the new Airfix regime of accuracy conflicting with precision has left me a little dismayed.

I look forward to the yet-to-arrive Revell Lancaster. There are well documented dihedral issues but frankly, they do not show up in your Revell Dambuster rendition.

I have decided to get over this accuracy business and just enjoy the build, hence the Revell Lancaster purchase.

So why, I ask myself, have I just ordered both Airfix 1/72 Blenheims for a second go at both? And why oh why do I have yet another Airfix Lancaster I/III and Lancaster II on backorder with Hannants?

Michael

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. 

One small point - I think the outermost exhaust stains of engines 1 and 4 went underneath the wing in reality, owing to the wing dihedral, but as this is the Revell kit it may not be an issue!

• Thanks 1

Thats superb. Can I ask how you picked out the surface detail on the black undersides? It looks good, I've only done one night bomber, a Mossie, and couldn't figure out how to do this.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Helllo JB,

your model came out really well!

I have built both the Airfix and the Revell kit.

I remember having issues with decal silvering on the Revell release, and agree with you on the undercarriage being pretty complicated to assemble.

Both the Revell and Airfix kits have their little glitches, but in retrospect I prefer the Revell Lancaster over Airfix because of finer surface structure and lower retail price (in my area).

I would replace the decals for aftermarket options on my next build though.

Thanks Roman, that's an interesting view, I was sure people would say Airfix but thanks! Insightful. Defo - I'd make that change with the decals if I built it again. I've got the Memphis Belle to do by Revell next in 1/72 next so I hope they fare better...

6 hours ago, Michael51 said:

I love Airfix, it's been with me since the 1950s.

I vividly remember building their original Lancaster and wondering at its beauty. Of course, this was pre-PE, Pre- pre shading and pre the rise of obsession with accurate lines versus someone else's published plans.

The Revell Dambuster on this post looks great and I am waiting on a Revell Lanc's arrival from Germany. It should get here any year now.

I have felt disappointment with some recent Airfix releases: their new Lanc and their 1/72 Blenheims I and IV in particular, where tolerances are so fine in some areas and sloppy in others ( the canopy fitting on the Blenheims, the engine nacelle cover plates on the Lancaster) in particular.

I am not an expert builder, even after over sixty-five years at the task, but the new Airfix regime of accuracy conflicting with precision has left me a little dismayed.

I look forward to the yet-to-arrive Revell Lancaster. There are well documented dihedral issues but frankly, they do not show up in your Revell Dambuster rendition.

I have decided to get over this accuracy business and just enjoy the build, hence the Revell Lancaster purchase.

So why, I ask myself, have I just ordered both Airfix 1/72 Blenheims for a second go at both? And why oh why do I have yet another Airfix Lancaster I/III and Lancaster II on backorder with Hannants?

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I built the Blenheim recently and recall the issues with the glass nose! I normally go about halfway when thinking about accuracy, for me it's how the model looks along with a bit of realism here and there :) Hope the next builds go well and look forward to seeing them on here. Roll on 70 years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aces High said:

Thats superb. Can I ask how you picked out the surface detail on the black undersides? It looks good, I've only done one night bomber, a Mossie, and couldn't figure out how to do this.

Thanks! I black based then took a slightly light shade by adding white to black (I use Tamiya acrylics) then focused on the inner of each panel going slightly lighter until I was happy, then correcting with a thin coat of black or a darker shade if I wasn't! Finally after sealing with a gloss coat, added a grey wash into the panel lines and picked out some areas with silver for chips around panel access areas. Finally finished with a matt coat. Exhaust stains were a mixture of artistic license and pictures using thinned whites, greys etc.