Gloster Javelin intake lips

John B (Sc)

Hello all.

A question about the Gloster Javelin, the 'Harmonious Dragmaster'.

The intake lips of these were almost always coloured gloss black - were they wooden, as with the Meteor?  I can't think of any other good reason why they'd be black.

John B

Hello John,

they were made out of metal. They were part of the Anti-Ice System and had to withstand high temperatures (hot air was bled from the compressor and led into the intake ring).

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti, that makes sense. Explains why the colour too.

Nice idea Ossington, hadn't thought of that possibility.  (I recall we once tried using Wessex blade tape on the prop of a Super Cub, to try to reduce the grit erosion effect. Oh boy, what a mistake - the rate of climb went way down because we'd ruined the prop aerofoil shape. Rapidly removed after one flight! )

John B

• Like 2

Now, I never actually stole any, but I always thought it was a product that could come in handy one day. I made a mental note to put a roll aside JIC, along with a can of MEK to glue it down with. I did come across a can before demob and I still have it though the contents have long since evaporated away. Stupendous plastic cement while it lasted!

On 17/05/2020 at 21:59, Ossington said:

Now, I never actually stole any, but I always thought it was a product that could come in handy one day. I made a mental note to put a roll aside JIC, along with a can of MEK to glue it down with. I did come across a can before demob and I still have it though the contents have long since evaporated away. Stupendous plastic cement while it lasted!

You can still get MEK quite cheaply on evilbay