Cleaning model cars (link)

johnlambert

The following article popped up in my Facebook feed the other day, it's about cleaning up and "detailing" as in polishing model cars.  It's more about diecast models but might work for plastic kits, especially if painted with automotive paint.

I didn't want to post the article without trying it myself and I happened to find a Bburago Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa that I built from a kit a long time ago.  I think I was a teenager, no idea if you can even buy these kits any more.

Link here to article.

Here it is in "barn find" condition having sat in an open box in my loft for several years:

spacer.png

I must have made this thirty years ago or so.  I tried to add some painted detail to the interior tub (moulded in gloss black plastic I think).

y4mfY_egQy7RLZWq-ER-MnYS4KKziBZXiAq60UCO

The advice is to use air duster to blow away dust then fine brushes (the following picture shows after dust removal).

y4m7WViNCJYsb2mzwT4ihw2gMTq71_4DYWKNwR3Q

Then use an automotive quick detailer spray and a microfibre cloth to clean and polish (hopefully you can see the difference between the two halves of the rear deck).

y4mQ14MbXhDy-UTovejlhbh7kYcEIv6BhyiSTWbt

You can see how much dust was picked up and the spray used

y4mjrE91HkdtWhYt7uvWrme6XfdqB03xsyG14fBi

Finally in the "photo studio"

y4m0HAv9j2R3nAGJS-aeS0qxxIMgb8Hhm2kZM9ba

This last one is my own invention; I created a black "infinity cove" with three black storage cases, illuminated with my desk lamp.

y4mR82S2ppqS4FkAMN1ZTrkTDgWTxvxHo2Ll86t3

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mr Mansfield said:

Great tip. I’m going to have find some of that spray detailer

I get mine from Halfords but there may be cheaper sources.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I get mine from Halfords but there may be cheaper sources.

Thanks. I got my car polish from Halfords (also Meguars), which I use to polish my model cars after paint, so this should be a handy addition

• Like 1