1/48 Sea Vixen, Airfix.

Evening All, I hope this finds you well.

Here's one I started maybe 2 years ago and I thought I'd quickly finish it while I waited for my next project to be delivered.  My next project arrived within a week.....finishing this took about a month. Hmm.

The Kit - Airfix's 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW.2, built as XP954 of 893 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1966. I'm no expert on these so it's pretty much out of the box except that I added some brake lines and busied up the seats with some Tamiya tape; I may change them for resin ones in the future. I also didn't paint the coal hole lid as I've seen a couple of pictures with it clear - artistic licence.  I left the wings down so as to show the shape of the aircraft, and the flaps and hook are down for maintenance. Main U/C doors, and airbrake are sagging a little.

Finish - Painted in Tamiya acrylics and coated with Kleer (stocks are dwindling). After decalling I gave it  a light overspray of the base grey (top) or white (bottom), and then gave the top surfaces another going over with a lighter grey, and also added bootmarks, oil stains and stuff.  The bottom was streaked with oil stains also.......So subtle it hardly shows in the pictures.

Why ? - Memories. There were a couple of these in the hanger at Halton.......massive beasts next to the Gnats and JPs we were working on.  One day I was volun-told to get up on one of them with a broom to dust it down before an inspection.  I'd initially thought I'd build one of those airframes but I liked these Sqn markings....and it was easier.

Here we go.........

spacer.png

spacer.png

Seat harnesses by Tamiya.  Decals........so many decals !!!! :blink:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The canopies aren't glued in position; I might need to swap the seats in the future.

spacer.png

There's bootmarks there, honestly.  I found Humbrol decalfix pretty good with helping prevent silvering.

spacer.png

I forgot to make the drop tanks a bit dirtier.  Ah well, roll equipment, just been fitted.  :P

spacer.png

You can just about make out the engine compressor face.

spacer.png

I'm happy with it :)

spacer.png

In the cabinet next to the Bucc. 

spacer.png

I hope you like it.

Comments good bad or indifferent welcome.

Cheers.

Gaz

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

That is excellent. I have memories of these from Halton too (we did our wingfold training on them) and have wanted to make a scruffy looking one of them with one wing up and the other down (and a scruffy 'sprog' sleeping in the coal hole (that would be me!).

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I like early jet aircraft, and you did a great job on the Sea Vixen!

Thanks Roman

5 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

That is excellent. I have memories of these from Halton too (we did our wingfold training on them) and have wanted to make a scruffy looking one of them with one wing up and the other down (and a scruffy 'sprog' sleeping in the coal hole (that would be me!).

Duncan B

LOL, thanks Duncan.  Ah the memories. Anywhere under a nice, warm, fleecy canopy cover was my 'place'.

Gaz

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Lovely! (Like the Buccaneers sitting on display too!)

Thanks Muzz.  There's a trio of Hawks beyond that and...............oh, I've forgotten to put the Jag back in !  :doh:

No Tonkas yet but they're in the pipeline.

Gaz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Excellent job on your Sea Vixen and great photography angles  too

CJP

Agree wholeheartedly!

• Thanks 1

Looks great! What's not to like when it's a Sea Vixen? How I wish Airfix would scale this down to 1:72...I guess I'll have to build another MPM or CyberHobby kit to make them do it!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Fantastic,..... you`ve well and truly cracked it with this one,....looks great with wings extended and flaps dropped.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rob K. said:

Really nice build and great Images 👍

Rgds,

Rob

16 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Agree wholeheartedly!

Thanks guys.  I figured with some of the angles that they'd be something close to what you'd see of a real one while walking around.

9 hours ago, chris148 said:

Great job,aren't to keen on the earlier jet aircraft but there is something special about a vixen

Thanks Chris, it's a bit of a brute, that's what it is:).  It's somewhat unique shape definitely makes it a stand out in the cabinet. It's actually not much different in size to the Bucc, just a bit wider at the back, for obvious reasons

9 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is a lovely build, nice one Gaz.  Inspired me to finish my Dragon 1/72 one...!!

Phil

Thanks Phil, happy to be the wearer of a size 8 KUTA.  I'll keep an eye out for it  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

Fantastic,..... you`ve well and truly cracked it with this one,....looks great with wings extended and flaps dropped.

Thanks Tony, much appreciated. Not strictly accurately the norm in that configuration from what I gather........it just looks good that way I reckon. :)

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Looks great! What's not to like when it's a Sea Vixen? How I wish Airfix would scale this down to 1:72...I guess I'll have to build another MPM or CyberHobby kit to make them do it!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. That's called taking one for the team, you'll be mentioned in dispatches for your efforts. The way my cabinets are filling up I might have to go down the 1:72 route one day as well.

Cheers All for your comments and likes.

Gaz

• Like 3

Lovely job! Has really captured the feel as well as the look of the original. Looks well taken care of – which is as it should be for a RN a/c! I remember the Airfix 1/600 kit HMS Victorious which had tiny Sea Vixens populating the deck, have loved the asymmetric, twin-boom 'weirdness' of them since. Chapeau

• Like 1

Superb. The Sea Vixen is definitely one of those slightly scary looking aircraft that have a real sense of menace, even just sitting on the deck!  

• Like 1

Beautiful build, I've got a couple in the stash and I'm looking forward to getting a few more when it's re-released

• Like 1