A mixed bag of figures.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I wish i could paint them that well.

I'm convinced that Jim has a a magic paint brush, but he won't give up his secret.

Damn you Jim, I want a 'Paint it like Jim' brush!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Jim, impressive stuff, Mate. I wish i could paint them that well. I've read all the tips, but still can't get the eyes right!

Thanks Pete,I use to over work the eyes and never get them right,I now just give the face a wash and pick out the high/lights on the face,and maybe drop a black dot for the pupil,the 28mm size is just to small for me to worry about,I have seen some that look a bit zombie like.The pics are not giving the figures a great look.I did try a little contrast in a hope to make them look better,but they did loose some detail.Now at my age I don't give a S### 😇

Cheers Jim

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I'm convinced that Jim has a a magic paint brush, but he won't give up his secret.

Damn you Jim, I want a 'Paint it like Jim' brush!

Thanks,Now if I give you the secret brush Please keep it to yourself,Shhhhh!!!

spacer.png

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work Jim, as always. I'd like to see you try and get a point on that brush.

John.

Thanks John,I made the mistake and stored it in the roof,And your know what happens in those roof rafters.

Jim

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work Jim, as always. I'd like to see you try and get a point on that brush.

John.

I'm so sorry John I forgot to mention the guy who looks Russian in the first pic is a roof pest exterminator,He guarantees to rid any pest found in your roof,or your money back or a new ROOF,which ever comes first.Will ask if he will travel to France :boom:

Jim.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, clive_t said:

Cracking job on those Jim, as usual. Hope you're keeping well mate :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive,Yes all is fine down here,and I wish the same for you and family,but I have been locked away for so long going a little stir crazy,or I should say a little more crazy,

Cheers Jim.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

ust a few more mix of 28mm and 1/35 figures I painted from my stash.

Cheers Jim.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Looking at the base shape, is this an old Airfix 1/32nd polythene Napoleonic ? 

I did up a polythene Paratroop officer recently, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235072084-132-airfix-paratrooper-officer

found that Mr Surfacer did a good primer job.   

Shame Airfix didn't re-do these, in the K-resin styrene, and the 54mm series for the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo...

:goodjob:

More please!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Wasley said:

I'm so sorry John I forgot to mention the guy who looks Russian in the first pic is a roof pest exterminator,He guarantees to rid any pest found in your roof,or your money back or a new ROOF,which ever comes first.Will ask if he will travel to France :boom:

Jim.

I know him, That's Igor Nocabolacov, ace rodent exterminator. He won't have to worry about damaging our roof. The tornado did that in January.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Looking at the base shape, is this an old Airfix 1/32nd polythene Napoleonic ? 

I did up a polythene Paratroop officer recently, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235072084-132-airfix-paratrooper-officer

found that Mr Surfacer did a good primer job.   

Shame Airfix didn't re-do these, in the K-resin styrene, and the 54mm series for the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo...

:goodjob:

More please!

Yes I think they are,I bought these at a second/hand fair,they sold them single or 5 for a few dollars,also bought some Scot Highlanders,I did google them and found one pic of the Scots but nothing on the French figures,A little bit of clean up and they turned out fine,but you are right would be nice to see them in hard plastic.

Cheers Jim 

Hi Jim

Airfix did 4 sets of 1/32nd Napoleonics 

British infantry

Highlanders

French Line Infantry

French Imperial Grenadiers

see

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Airfix.html

your chap can be seen 2nd in from the right

zairfix32c1.jpg

I'm looking at these and remembering I had all 4... I was less taken by these than the WW2 figures, which I still have boxed, and these got some rough treatment,  I'm having memories of vicious battles over a western town wooden fort with screws as ammo... and some survivors are in a bag...somewhere!   

The sculpting was good as I remember, the grenadiers in particular, as your figure shows,  I assume the same sculptor as the 54mm construction series, as they are a similar era.

cheers

T

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Jim

Airfix did 4 sets of 1/32nd Napoleonics 

British infantry

Highlanders

French Line Infantry

French Imperial Grenadiers

see

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Airfix.html

your chap can be seen 2nd in from the right

zairfix32c1.jpg

I'm looking at these and remembering I had all 4... I was less taken by these than the WW2 figures, which I still have boxed, and these got some rough treatment,  I'm having memories of vicious battles over a western town wooden fort with screws as ammo... and some survivors are in a bag...somewhere!   

The sculpting was good as I remember, the grenadiers in particular, as your figure shows,  I assume the same sculptor as the 54mm construction series, as they are a similar era.

cheers

T

Thanks for that feed back always nice to know about the figures,As you say the fine details are fine,only thing I found was the rifles were a little wayward,I've had these for sometime and was always going to paint them,it's now I have been locked down I dug them out and started to paint them again,Still not sure if I will keep them mounted single or cut the bases off and group them.Your youth was spent like mine,my Dad was handy and built me a wooden fort that I spent many ours playing with my toy figures,Long before T.V and Game Boys.

Cheers Jim

spacer.png

• Like 2

I was pondering on this, and note how the Grenadier sets has 15 poses, and the other sets 7.    There were not many of the Airifx 32nd sets that had this variety,  without a search, the other one that comes to mind are the US Paratroopers,  which is also a really well sculpted set...

I did a couple you have already seen Jim....but for anyone else

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054365-airfix-132nd-us-paratroopers/

I shall have to see if any of my polythene Napoleonics are worth a paintjob.....

Been meaning to do some pics of a few nostalgia builds that survive mostly intact, and have a few part done from youth from the Airfix 54mm range.   

At some point I'll do a Polish Lancer, as I again, a very long time ago I bought two from a shop in town for 25p each (I know this as it was written on the box...) they were cheap at the time which is why I got them,  I remember doing the first one I got and being very impressed by it....but all those straps!  

On 18/05/2020 at 04:07, Jim Wasley said:

my Dad was handy and built me a wooden fort that I spent many ours playing with my toy figures,Long before T.V and Game Boys.

My old man wasn't.....Mine was bought, in Germany,  "Fort Eduard Henri"  I did google it up and found images..

aba336dc5dfb0ca1957f2b5722a3bc5a.jpg

Mine has not looked like this for a long time, but still have the main buildings and fencing...  Boy that thing got some use! 

Look forward to more.   I've really enjoyed doing some figure painting,  as it's a different skill set /discipline to planes and tanks

cheers

T

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I was pondering on this, and note how the Grenadier sets has 15 poses, and the other sets 7.    There were not many of the Airifx 32nd sets that had this variety,  without a search, the other one that comes to mind are the US Paratroopers,  which is also a really well sculpted set...

I did a couple you have already seen Jim....but for anyone else

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054365-airfix-132nd-us-paratroopers/

I shall have to see if any of my polythene Napoleonics are worth a paintjob.....

Been meaning to do some pics of a few nostalgia builds that survive mostly intact, and have a few part done from youth from the Airfix 54mm range.   

At some point I'll do a Polish Lancer, as I again, a very long time ago I bought two from a shop in town for 25p each (I know this as it was written on the box...) they were cheap at the time which is why I got them,  I remember doing the first one I got and being very impressed by it....but all those straps!  

My old man wasn't.....Mine was bought, in Germany,  "Fort Eduard Henri"  I did google it up and found images..

aba336dc5dfb0ca1957f2b5722a3bc5a.jpg

Mine has not looked like this for a long time, but still have the main buildings and fencing...  Boy that thing got some use! 

Look forward to more.   I've really enjoyed doing some figure painting,  as it's a different skill set /discipline to planes and tanks

cheers

T

Wow that's one great fort.Think I know what you mean about figure painting,I have built just about everything in plastic and figures have taught me a new set of skills,think if I had started with figures first I may have been a better modeller,Don't mention straps,I found most of the Napoleonic period they loved all those things and I have been painting so many,I am now back to painting some Medieval period figures so much easier.

Thanks for the feed back and info it's been a delight.Being lock down for so long has made me a little stir crazy,if I never had my models to do I would have gone round the twist or driven my wife to shoot me.

Cheers Jim.

• Like 1