Flyhawk HMS Prince of Wales 1/700 December 1941

Which one?

I've toyed with the idea to make a small database of these boats on my website and have some pics there, but it never materialized...

Edited by foeth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit late to the party (nothing new there then), but just caught up. Very nice build so far. These Flyhawk kits are quite something. I have just one (at the moment) HMS Hermes 1942, which I am quite impressed with.

Will tag along with interest.

Terry

• Like 1

22 hours ago, foeth said:

Which one?

I've toyed with the idea to make a small database of these boats on my website and have some pics there, but it never materialized...

Honestly any of them, I am mostly intested to see colours and how clean they are.

I am not overly bothered with full accuracy just getting the right "look".

Well it took three attempts at cutting out masks and a total of about 6 days but the hull is finally painted!

I ended up scaling the Sovereign models camo scheme (see above) using microsoft publisher and using that as a template to cut masking tape. 

49976102758_fb5238e4f5_k.jpg20200605_230003_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49976879267_745bb36287_k.jpg20200606_121416_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I had problems with the boot line lifting but I think that is because my 1mm tape is too tacky. (any advice will be gratefully received)

• Like 7

I spent the last three days painting camouflage onto the superstructure and all of tonight painting the gun barrels.

On balance I have to say, time well spent! 😛

49988745683_1de6aa908d_k.jpg20200609_194317_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49989264821_d6cba727b0_k.jpg20200609_195015_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49989510767_6021eda8c9_k.jpg20200609_195102_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr 

• Like 9

It's a fussy, complicated scheme for sure Joel! You can begin to appreciate why it was soon considered ineffective. There is so much going on in tiny little shapes that from a fairly short distance away it all blends back into a solid shape again having achieved nothing but taken a long time to paint.

The big bold swoopy designs which followed were much better.

• Like 2

It does seem overly complex although the anti shadow technique of having lighter colours on the undersides is supprisingly effective, it looks really odd having light where your brain knows there should be dark.

I guess the real thanks go to those of you who did the research. Without your drawings I would never have picked up on these sorts of color scheme details (although there is a really nice photo of Winston Churchill near X turret somewhere on the internet showing the disruptive patterning).

It was also a massive test of my brush skills, I am happy with the outer face of the Port gun but you can see the finish on the inner guns is some way off ideal, I think I need to get a magnifier to improve any furthet although my brush control was it its limit on this. 

I had a pretty productive weekend and as a result she is looking pretty close to done!

A few of the 5.25" turrets still need painting along with all of the aft superstructure pom-poms, then it only needs a quick oil wash to bring out some details, a bit of rust and the rigging!

(can anyone tell I am excited?)

50010546057_f7f65d7a9b_k.jpg20200615_111131_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The lovely weather has somewhat put the brakes on this but it is now (very lightly) weathered and ready for rigging.

Having seen the gorgeous effort by Guy, it seems rude to not have a crack at signal flags.

The question is, what would be a reasonable thing to expect the ship to be flying in a port such as Gibraltar? 

I would also like to try putting on some of those spherical and conical features on the rigging but I have no idea what they are so have completely failed at googling them, can anyone help?

Also a few asides:

I was ordering some 3D printed detail bits for my next major nautical project on Micromaster.co.NZ earlier (great site do yourself a favour and have a gander) and noticed that amongst other bits they have 1/700 scale turrets for HMS Prince of Wales! The detail looks even better than it is on the Flyhawk turrets. I have no intention of dealing with those quad mount pompoms or painting the camo on the 14" barrels again any time soon so they will be staying in NZ! 

Also worth a look is Mr Foeth's website (onthslipway.com) which in addition to having lots of detail on his modelling work has some beautiful pictures of Royal Navy battleships, including (I noticed after painting mine) a really nice one of what I think is a 25' motor boat.

• Like 1

I finished the weathering with some main rust streaks in acrylic paint around anchors and some plate joints/port holes and then did a partially blended oil dot filter for the rest of the grime and streaking.

I then did the rigging and ended up going for a Naval cliche on the signal flags in 1803 Popham code. 😛

so for the tail end of this thread there only seemed one appropriate image:

50055647156_65104ef01b_k.jpg20200628_200328_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The RFI is here!

• Like 5