Flyhawk HMS Prince of Wales 1/700 December 1941

I got a little bit obsessed with 1/700 scale after building the Lexington at the start of the year, I have been having a hankering to have a go at a battleship since then so here it is:

49902919507_5850aefc12_z.jpgPoW Boxart by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

It is a decent size box, and absolutely stuffed full of parts. This kit is a real aftermarket killer, it comes with PE, resin and turned brass gun barrels.

49901714321_f44c925865_k.jpg20200414_120457_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The deck and hull went together nicely, I took this shot against HMS Dianella to show what a huge ship this is.

49902031932_e769e1a1b7_k.jpg20200514_094316_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 9

This all seems very familiar Joel! 

Cant wait to see what you do with her, I’m ahead of you with my build so hopefully you’ll avoid any of my mess ups if pre warned...

Guy

• Like 1

This should be good to see the comparisons between each of your builds and view the different approach of how you tackle each section :book:

beefy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gisbod said:

This all seems very familiar Joel! 

Cant wait to see what you do with her, I’m ahead of you with my build so hopefully you’ll avoid any of my mess ups if pre warned...

Guy

I was quite pleased when I saw you were slightly ahead of me Guy, it is always nice to see how someone approaches a kit in advance.

The wooden deck on yours looks amazing, I will have to get one for my next ship kit (HMS Naiad).

42 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

This should be good to see the comparisons between each of your builds and view the different approach of how you tackle each section :book:

beefy 

I am improving fairly quickly but I am still a long way from the quality of the modelling that Guy puts out, but it should be interesting.

It felt somewhat odd cutting nice detail off the deck but the resin ventilators are absolutely stunning. I think once painted a lot of the detail will be lots so it was probably a waste of time but it filled my modelling time for two days!

49904283921_7bc92cdb50_k.jpg20200517_093635_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49903764658_777712e777_k.jpg20200517_093722_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 6

Well done on the Vents - you’re a braver man than me! Mine are still in the box... 

I absolutely love wood decks, what’s not to like! Much easier too with painting. Paint first then slap the deck on.

Guy

Thank you Guy, to be honest I am stingy enough that if there is something in the box I really want to use it!

I have now added the turned brass ones and am finally done with ventilators! (at least on the main deck)

49907830818_493d6ce3a4_k.jpgIMG-20200517-WA0002 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I then started the main turrets. I found cutting the old barrels off square a little tricky until I realised they would fit in my tiny modelling mitre block. as a result the first turret (middle in the shot below) has a few wonky barrels but the other two turrets were better.

I found holding them to drill tricky and I ended up drilling my finger, I then had game night so made no further progress...

49907829428_caaa33bcad_k.jpg20200518_092026_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 6

Whilst digging through all of the plastic, I found this, a sprue on hinges!

49914175107_a515db0a9a_k.jpg20200518_204124_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

No idea why, but I do love it.

I finished the turret PE.

49913362288_8f7b6e73d1_k.jpg20200519_151627_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

This kit has the finest PE I have ever seen!, it even has a PE radar latern! I am genuinely tempted to see if I can pick up another of this etch just for the latern next time I build a flower class.

49913362103_58644a00b5_k.jpg20200519_211511_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The range finders for the pompoms are the most fiddly things I have ever done on a model, but they are utterly worth it. Have a look at the PoW build thread by Guy (Gisbod) for much better macro photos. 

They took longer than pretty much the rest of the forward superstructure put together.

49913361953_751a4ce211_k.jpg20200519_213107_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 7

Thanks Joel, but wait until you see mine finished first! 

looks like you’re making good progress... The PE is amazing isn’t it? But super fiddly!

Guy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gisbod said:

The PE is amazing isn’t it? But super fiddly!

Guy

I have to say, this is such a nice kit. The PE is on another level compared to anything I have seen before!

I finally caved and ordered the wooden deck...

I couldn't find it in stock at any of the UK shops so it is coming all the way from B&A in Australia. It might take a month or two but given that I guess I want to leave it off until pretty much the very end so it shouldn't delay me much.

Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies has a really good marked up colourscheme both on his PoW build thread and after I did some exploring on the Sovereign Hobbies website I discovered that they have schemes for HMS Prince of Wales and for a whole load of other ships on there too. 

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes

Whilst I have been shopping, I have also made a little more progress on the model itself, the hanger/forward funnel section of superstructure is now fully together.

I have left one of the hanger doors open and might pop a walrus inside with crew on it doing some maintenance. (If I persuade myself that buying more aircraft is a good idea).

49926010241_c241af221b_k.jpg20200522_134515_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49926010151_e2d8867751_k.jpg20200522_134536_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I also managed to finish the mast last night, these are hands down the hardest bits I can recall doing on a model, I think I might have misaligned the top and bottom of the forward mast.

49926009731_b6d2314ee4_k.jpg20200522_203900_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49925490788_0719a841d1_k.jpg20200522_210047_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 4

Hi Joel,

I just finished adding the gun barrels and turret tops to this. Hope it's some use. The barrels are EJ Foeth's work also!

I haven't drawn the 8 barrel PomPoms on B and X turret, but hopefully you can join the dots up as it were :)

HMS_Prince_of_Wales_Dec41.jpg?v=15902379

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies thank you! you work impressively fast!

The amount of work which clearly went into this from all involved is amazing! 

I think the real scheme is a good bit more interesting that the kit suggestion, I know it is only a little thing but I really like the white band round the aft funnel. The contrast of organic shapes on the rest of the camouflage to this straight clean bit is really cool.

• Like 1

We had lots of discussion about that funnel. It's as plain as day in the colour footage taken off Gibraltar in August 1941, but is much less obvious as she is photographed in Singapore. There was a lot of back and forth about whether it was painted out or just filthy from the forward funnel.

If tempted to leave it quite bright, then I'd like to draw your attention to another feature. On the port quarter there is a diagonal slash which we've shown as being 507C. This started off as being either white, MS4A or some other very, very light grey.

resized_a51bdc37-6eee-4a12-a517-dccf17f3

August 1941 - Gibraltar

I'm not sure exactly when but again by the time she arrived in Singapore this does not appear so bright. Luckily we have a photograph of that panel being repainted darker - so that explains that change! I mention this because if you want to do the top of the funnel a cleanish white then you may want to go lighter on this patch of camouflage on the port quarter also.

1290b268-afe2-4636-bf1c-1ad3ce329a32.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OutcastJoel said:

I finally caved and ordered the wooden deck...

I couldn't find it in stock at any of the UK shops so it is coming all the way from B&A in Australia. It might take a month or two but given that I guess I want to leave it off until pretty much the very end so it shouldn't delay me much.

Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies has a really good marked up colourscheme both on his PoW build thread and after I did some exploring on the Sovereign Hobbies website I discovered that they have schemes for HMS Prince of Wales and for a whole load of other ships on there too. 

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes

Whilst I have been shopping, I have also made a little more progress on the model itself, the hanger/forward funnel section of superstructure is now fully together.

I have left one of the hanger doors open and might pop a walrus inside with crew on it doing some maintenance. (If I persuade myself that buying more aircraft is a good idea).

49926010241_c241af221b_k.jpg20200522_134515_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49926010151_e2d8867751_k.jpg20200522_134536_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I also managed to finish the mast last night, these are hands down the hardest bits I can recall doing on a model, I think I might have misaligned the top and bottom of the forward mast.

49926009731_b6d2314ee4_k.jpg20200522_203900_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49925490788_0719a841d1_k.jpg20200522_210047_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Joel, that photo etch is fantastic, I am struggling with mine. The wooden deck should be fitted before all the vents and other deck furniture. If you have a way of sorting that and would like to get on a little quicker, I have a Flyhawk P.O.W deck that i will not need for a good while, if you would like me to send you this, you are more than welcome to it and you could just send me the other one when it arrives. let me know, and keep up the great work.

Mick

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

1290b268-afe2-4636-bf1c-1ad3ce329a32.jpg

That gives me a good deal to think about, especially this photo!

I am torn about when exactly to depict it, with the battered bow in Singapore looks pretty awesome but the idea of having it cleaner with some sailors repainting the diagonal area as in this image is something I have never seen done on a full hull model and is quite appealing as a result.

• Like 1

Thanks to @smyfe and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies I have all the bits I need to finish the project in the post! (thank you guys!)

I have got pretty much all of the major assemblies sorted now and I have started painting, I also popped it all together (I call it dryfitting but in reality it is just playing!)

49939674267_a4cc00a924_k.jpg20200525_210820_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49939379011_ee6ec30459_k.jpg20200526_211547_Film2 (1) by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49939379236_158ea38431_k.jpg20200526_211527_Film2 (1) by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 6

So, courtesy of @smyfe a wooden deck, arrived today. have never used one before and it is (like everything Flyhawk do) an absolute beauty!

It is so thin! (Mick, I really hope the WoodHunter one I will be sending your way is as nice!)

49942841221_534b9ba244_k.jpg20200527_204105_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I still have to sort the camo on the hull before I can affix it, and in this time, does anyone have any advice on how to weather the deck? 

I was planning to use a quick wash of light grey to slightly age the wood and I guess maybe some slight shadowing of rust/grime around the catapult and the anchor chain runs.

I found a nice youtube video that Jamie did on using wooden decks but I have found nothing about weathering.

I kept mine to a minimum Joel. I couldn’t face any kind of wash etc, I just dabbed at the extremities with some rust pigment.

Each to their own, but I found it too nice to meddle with! 

Guy

• Thanks 1

I have tried several experiments but have not yet found something I really like.

My current trial involves a gloss clear coat and a light flatting back to begin with.

I have found that light grey washes affect the burned in planking detail much more than the natural wood so it has the effect of simply neutralising everything to the same shade of greyish tan. I didn't like it so I'm trying something else.

For this model, as you saw, I just painted it and am happy with it.

I'm apprehensive about the 1/200 Hood which is getting attention again. I honestly think painted decks are better than wood decks but the otherwise excellent Pontos set is designed to be used with their deck. Argh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have decided to just go with the plain deck, other than some very light weathering, my experiments with washes were exceedingly disappointing as Jamie had predicted.

In other news my colourcoats paints arrived today, I laid down the base of MS.4 and have to say, these spray really well. 

It means that the build is moving again after a week of nowt! 

I think that’s the right call Joel! 

I really must get some colourcoats. I presume they’re enamels? Although I do like MRP paints as they have a translucent quality that shows off any pre shading really nicely. That said, I’m sure thinned colourcoats would have the same effect?

Guy

• Like 1

Yes, they are enamel. I have been getting back into enamels recently having not used then for 10 years, the new Humbol enamels are nice too.

I think these would show off preshading pretty well, the new Humbrols certainly do, especially when thinned with Windsor and Newton Sansodor.

• Thanks 1