kuiil riding a blurrg

So kuiil riding a blurrg was printed for my by a guy called Ken Spriggs, he is not a supplier or anything I just pestered him to make me one, he has TY channel. 

Really impressed with the print and details on this little 4" is figure that looks to fit in with my 75mm figures. 

Unfortunately the blurrg lost his arms in transit so one of my first jobs was to rebuild them with some greenstuff. I'm no sculpture but I was happy with what I managed to do. 

I will let you work out what order the pictures are supposed to go in but the one in the middle is as the figure arrived and one is just to show off my new tidy desk policy. Not being at work is starting to get to me after 8 weeks. I will start making folder of modelling SOP"s next. 

IMG-20200515-210246.jpg
IMG-20200515-210230.jpg
IMG-20200516-200720.jpg
IMG-20200515-132434.jpg
IMG-20200516-152903.jpg
IMG-20200516-154219.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 10

The figure looks superbly detailed. It is not what I am used to seeing as 3D printed.
And it's rebuilding work is also very good.

It would be great if someone were encouraged to launch figures or ships of The Mandalorian.

Regards.

Andrés S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrés S. said:

It is not what I am used to seeing as 3D printed.

I know I have one or two old 3D printed kits that are terrible, this was printed using a resin printer, a elegoo mars resin printer, if i had a spare £250 I would be getting one. 

• Like 1

Working on painting the blurrg this morning, started of with a green wash then a brown wash, dry brushed some light grey and then when over that with some darker drown grey and this is it so far.

So far the skin details are looking good I just want a bit more colour tone to the skin. I will add some yellow/green to the underside and a bit more green back into the body.

IMG-20200517-073018.jpg

• Like 4

Cool! Just finished watching the Mandalorian, I really liked it and Kuill was one of my favourite characters. 

You've done a great job sculpting the arms, and the paints looking good. 

And yeah impressive tidy set up! I like your lights. My desks pretty tidy now in the shed but if I turn around it's a whole different story :lol:

11 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

I know I have one or two old 3D printed kits that are terrible, this was printed using a resin printer, a elegoo mars resin printer, if i had a spare £250 I would be getting one. 

I have ever heard modelers say that 3D printing is the future of the hobby, and I disagreed. The quality of detail in the pieces that I had seen so far was not comparable to traditional methods of building figures or models.
But seeing this figure I begin to have doubts ...
The price of this printer will drop over time, I'm sure. And surely its operation will be perfected. So yes, it is very possible that in the not too distant future the world of modeling will change. And for the better.

Regards.

Andrés S.

• Like 1

Hi, Andres. 

As you have stated above, the technology of 3D printing will inevitably improve hugely and the prices will drop dramatically. Look at what happens with most "consumer" electronic gear.... the early models are hideously expensive and then prices fall to a level where most folks can afford them. VHS video recorders, personal computers, CD players, etc.

Curiously, the one example of this trend which reverses the normal pattern is mobile-phones. I find the price of some latest models of phones ridiculous and unjustifiable. It's almost as if the makers are ripping off peoples' craving for the newest gadgetry. But that can't be the case now, can it??

Chris. 

• Like 2

Have to agree Andrés S after seen the stuff printedplanes produce and then this that was printed from a home set up 3d printing as got to be the future of miniatures, not sure about about the more traditional kits like planes, tanks or scifi space ships etc but the way 3d printing is going who knows. 

This morning painting contains and I'm much happier with the look, green and drowns added to give a lot better skin tone, mouth and teeth finished though I will be adding some slime in there and the eyes just need a tad more gloss to fill them out.

IMG-20200517-133247.jpg

• Like 6

However, mobile phones are no longer just phones for which prices have indeed bottomed, but minicomputers.  The prices of computers plateaued some time ago and are rising again.  There is no such thing as a continuous price fall: all these things reach a level at which prices stabilise and then start to rise as inflation bites and the cheaper but less profitable suppliers die off.  As for 3D modelling, the prices probably will continue to fall for a while yet, and the quality rise, but do you really see these as something everyone in the street is going to want?

• Like 2

A good point, Graham. At a guess, only one consumer in (maybe) 50,000 will ever want to buy a 3-D printer, so production volumes will not reach anything like the levels of other, more "everyday" consumer-products. Obviously, there are lots of other users of 3-D printers, such as small businesses and the like. I believe there is a printer on the International Space Station and they use it to print new tools and small spare-parts. 

Who knows what new uses 3-D printers will be put to in the future? I watched a YouTube video recently which suggested that 3-D printers will eventually be used to produce new human organs for transplantation (don't ask me how this would work - I haven't got a clue!)

Chris. 

• Like 1

I would not want to divert the conversation on the subject of the rockpopandchips figure but I would like to give one last opinion regarding 3D printing and mobile phones.

Many years ago, when plasma TVs started to be launched, I read an article in a popular science magazine that already predicted what would be the future of TV (plasma, led, etc.) and that at that time prices were astronomical but that the cost of producing a plasma TV was much lower than that of a traditional cathode ray tube TV.

Certainly the price of TVs went down, and today they are comparatively even cheaper.

I am sure the same will happen with 3D printers. And partly because of what Graham Boak says: there are many modelers but there will not be a huge demand because the recipients of these printers will not be billions of people and they will not be able to take advantage of supply and demand more than to a certain extent to put some prices.

Precisely that the plaintiffs of mobile phones / photo cameras / microcomputers, which is what they already are, are billions of people, and also eager to boast of having the latest model with the latest gadget, is what the producers of these devices take the opportunity to impose totally and absolutely abusive and absurd prices on them. I do not have Facebook or Instagram or Twitter or anything similar, nor do I want to have them. I want the phone to talk on the phone and with my LG of € 80 it is enough for me.

Regards.

Andrés S.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rockpopandchips said:

Have to agree Andrés S after seen the stuff printedplanes produce and then this that was printed from a home set up 3d printing as got to be the future of miniatures, not sure about about the more traditional kits like planes, tanks or scifi space ships etc but the way 3d printing is going who knows. 

This morning painting contains and I'm much happier with the look, green and drowns added to give a lot better skin tone, mouth and teeth finished though I will be adding some slime in there and the eyes just need a tad more gloss to fill them out.

IMG-20200517-133247.jpg

How good it looks !!

Andrés S.

• Like 2

This is way out of my normal comfort area but I'm enjoying the look of it. I shared it with my middle son, a not very cupboard figure geek & said, what is this, he instantly IDed it as being from the Mandelorian (?) series, which he'd watched & it got a big tick from him. His first response was ooooh, where'd he get that?, then disappointment on seeing it was a one off. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

then disappointment on seeing it was a one off. :)

Not really a one off, if you get get your hands on a 3d printer. 

Not much time this morning before school stared in the house but I did get the bridal and saddle mostly finished. 

IMG-20200518-085228.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rockpopandchips said:

if you get get your hands on a 3d printer. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of "if he gets his (my middle son) hands on a 3d printer" but I take your point, I foresee one in his/our future.

Steve.

• Haha 1

Thanks all for the interest and I'm just about finished with the figures just need to seal it all, then add some saliva to the blurrg and make some sort of base. I'm I'm two mined on if I should make a cart for the blurrg to pull with a busted up IG driod on it.

Some pictures of Kuiil

IMG-20200519-161825.jpg
IMG-20200519-161840.jpg

• Like 8

So I have made a start on the tailer for the blurrg to pull, after I tried to scratch one without much so I have used a plastic box as a starting piont added the inside and some fill to cover the gaps. There aren't to many details on the trailer so I'm hoping to come across a cheep IG-11 / IG-88 to cut up and put in trailer and maybe the odd box. 

IMG-20200522-192729.jpg

• Like 5