Yeovilton Corsair KD431 in 1/72

11 minutes ago, opus999 said:

I'm a bit late to the party... but these experiments look terrific.  I thought the hairspray trick only worked with Acrylics (My sworn enemy), but full disclosure I never tried it with lacquers.  This makes me hopeful because it seems like the paint chipping effect looks to most realistic to me.

Very nice work so far...

Hairspray works with enamels also, just need to be worked fast within about 20-30 minutes. My current builds are lacquers and i worked them as much as two days later but it will need a bit of effort. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hairspray works with enamels also, just need to be worked fast within about 20-30 minutes. My current builds are lacquers and i worked them as much as two days later but it will need a bit of effort. 

I didn't even make the connection -- and I'm the one who asked what you used on that build! :P Hmmm..... now I'm keen to try it.

• Like 2

Cookie, i am beyind late to this build, but really impressed with what you’ve done so far, aspecially in braille scale.  It’s a superb book; really fascinating - I’ve had vague thoughts of doing the same thing in 1/48 or even 32, but my stash doesn’t contain a Corsair & at my current build rate I’d need to live to be 150 to get everythjng done, so I’ll just sit back and watch you nail it instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 12:42 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Wowsers the internals are fantastic great scratch building work.

Thank you Chris.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:26 AM, CedB said:

Lovely stuff Cookie, all those iterations were worth it! :) 

Oh, good - thanks Ced!

On 6/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, Dana Bell said:

Looks wonderful - a very effective job there!

Thank you Dana, just don't look too close!

On 6/28/2020 at 7:18 AM, giemme said:

A very productive Saturday, I'd say!

Thanks Giorgio, I finally got a little more done, see below.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, opus999 said:

I'm a bit late to the party... but these experiments look terrific.  I thought the hairspray trick only worked with Acrylics (My sworn enemy), but full disclosure I never tried it with lacquers.  This makes me hopeful because it seems like the paint chipping effect looks to most realistic to me.

Very nice work so far...

I've now used hairspray chipping on water based acrylics, lacquers and enamels and they all work, but act very differently from each other. With water based acrylics, you might not even need hairspray, they chip off with ease. Lacquers require a lot of elbow grease and enamels are the trickiest, because they build the most effective water barrier I'm guessing. They can still be a little elastic if you chip them too early, but may never chip if you leave them too long. Although, I was able to go back and clean up my test piece several days later and it still chipped OK.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’ve had vague thoughts of doing the same thing in 1/48 or even 32

That would be something to see Crisp. I was tempted to go up a scale or two for this one, but decided to stay loyal to my 1/72 roots and see what I could do.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, and sorry for the lack of updates.

Added the turtle deck which is more work than it should be on a Tamiya kit.

20200702_180342

Plastic shim trimmed, and I had to remove the headrest.

20200702_181217

New plasticard headrest:

20200702_181753_HDR

All painted up.

20200702_191403

First round of filler on the flap resin/plastic interface.

20200702_191341

And all masked up for the 'pre-primer':

20200709_171205

I'm planning to prime the fabric portions separately, and add a little 'oil canning' to the fuselage at the same time, using a technique I watched @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies do on a Hellcat, but I can't seem to find the thread now - that's what the strips are for.

Looking at WWII era pics of Corsairs, it's hard to see any wrinkling on the metal skin, but current pics of KD431 show it.

• Like 12

For what feels like the first time in my life, I found something JD!

It's half six here just now and while I was standing in the kitchen a few minutes ago making coffee I was thinking what an unusually great time I had at Telford which is usually something I dread. I saw that Corsair at Yeovilton a number of years ago and was so pleased to see that the museum had the good sense not to try to improve it.

I think you're doing a cracking job here and have been watching quitely for some time :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow! You are certainly giving this the full works Cookie, and checking out Jamie's thread I can see how effective this technique can be. 

Watching with much admiration - no pressure then!

Terry

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, giemme said:

Great stuff, Cookie! :clap:  :clap: 

On a side not, I've just bought the Eduard 1/48 F6F-5 kit and, going through @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies link, I'm sweating already ... 😓 :D 

Ciao

I'm not even sure it was a good idea - I just wanted to try it to see if it could be done!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm not even sure it was a good idea - I just wanted to try it to see if it could be done!

It sure looks good, Jamie 👍 But I have this curse that I now cannot ignore this effect on Hellcats and I'm gonna have to try and reproduce it someway when I'll get around modelling it - hence the sweating.... :D 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Looking forward to seeing how this. Effect comes out, will have to check out the link to Jamie's build when I get time, for my future Corsair build although I am a brush painter so not sure how it will work out.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:32 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

For what feels like the first time in my life, I found something JD!

So glad you did Jamie, thanks for that. I really like the effect you've managed and there is definitely a need for it, so many aircraft exhibit stressed skin rippling.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:10 PM, Shalako said:

This is getting even better!!!!:popcorn:

On 7/9/2020 at 11:14 PM, Terry1954 said:

Wow! You are certainly giving this the full works Cookie, and checking out Jamie's thread I can see how effective this technique can be. 

Watching with much admiration - no pressure then!

On 7/9/2020 at 11:20 PM, CedB said:

More great stuff Cookie, this is going to be fantastic! :) 

Thanks fellas, I'll do my best to not screw up now, no pressure alright!

On 7/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, giemme said:

Great stuff, Cookie! :clap:  :clap: 

On a side not, I've just bought the Eduard 1/48 F6F-5 kit and, going through @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies link, I'm sweating already ... 😓 :D

Oh yeah, you have to do it now Giorgio.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:34 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking forward to seeing how this. Effect comes out, will have to check out the link to Jamie's build when I get time, for my future Corsair build although I am a brush painter so not sure how it will work out.

Keep up the good work

Thanks Chris, I think it would work just fine with brush painting, since you'll sand it down anyway.

Primer sprayed and masking removed:

20200711_103952

And sanded down.

20200711_111001_HDR

I need the effect to be subtle, but hopefully I haven't sanded it down too much. As an aside, I carefully repainted that green console next to the seat to the appropriate black after seeing this pic.

As another aside, I wanted to prime the fabric sections a canvasy colour and mixed white and grey primer with a few drops of Earth Yellow, and it pretty much came out as a nice match for Sky - should have used a browner color for tone I guess!

Engine painted up, and out of focus.

20200711_212634

Ridiculous - more confirmation that I'm just not a super detailer.

20200711_211029

The resin cowl flaps are a tad too small, leaving a gap.

20200711_213703

Plasticard extensions made and attached.

20200711_214741

20200711_220831

And I see that the oil stain wash I've used on the inside of the cowling is similar enough in color to YZC and has messed up the demarcation with the white/light grey, d'oh.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Cookie! :) 

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

…more confirmation that I'm just not a super detailer.

Not true from where I'm, standing - looks good to me! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Not true from where I'm, standing - looks good to me! 

I couldn't agree more! :clap:  I love your job on the cowling flaps :worthy:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Very impressive, you can always tell when someone is enjoying a build :) adding.  your own bits is where the fun starts i think. 

Interesting to note the zinc chromate undercoat in the engine bay but a green cockpit even on the British version, useful to me as i am building a FAA hellcat. Nearly all reproduction/restorations substitute the chromate for cockpit green probably because its now banned as carcinogenic

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, running out a steam as of late. @CedB I understand how the hot weather can sap the mojo, 39°C here yesterday, but 'cooling off' to 37°C today. My apartment is older and only has a portable AC unit that does its best, but definitely difficult to concentrate on tiny plastic parts right now.

I really appreciate all the encouraging comments, thanks everybody, and here's a small update resulting from the little bit of puttering around the bench I've managed the last few weeks.

I noticed that KD431 no longer has a gun sight, but it does have two, well I'm not sure if they're thingamabobs or doohickeys, on the coaming, so I added them with plasticard.

20200714_125228

Ah, the Detail & Scale book calls the one on the left "the 'eyebrow' armament panel", I assume because it looks like an eyebrow over the instrument panel, not because it arms the pilot's eyebrows.

You may also note that I've begun the daunting task of adding the wing fold mechanism. I've already got it backwards, the two 'prongs' should be on the inboard section not the outboard, but I don't think it will make too big a difference when all is said and done. Dang, look at that ejector pin mark ahead of the new 'spar'. Well add that to the list.

'Eyebrows' painted.

20200714_153327

I've also painted the Sea Blue on the fabric portions, to be masked off before beginning work on the metal sections.

20200801_115456

• Like 10