Yeovilton Corsair KD431 in 1/72

A bit late to the party for this one so will pull up a chair and watch on, excellent choice of subject and looking forward to your build, great start so far! Does the book cover the entire history of the aircraft?

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments everybody - looks like hairspray chipping is the consensus, so that'll be the plan.

8 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Does the book cover the entire history of the aircraft?

Yes, the book is a sort of 'archeology' of this single airframe, but has general background information on the Corsair in FAA service as well - a real treasure trove.

Alright, time for more internals; my plan is to install the 'forward' ducts before putting the fuselage halves together. The ducts are made from three layers of sliced up plastic tubing attached to some sprue.

20200524_121906

I also chopped up an eye dropper for the rings at the attachment points of the sprue to the duct. You can see them being stretched out on the dropper below, so they'll fit on the sprue.

20200525_111415

Ring installed, and clamps made from 2 mm and 0.4 mm masking tape attached.

20200525_113249

First duct installed. Oh @CedB, I found another use for the dental floss thing, leveling the putty I applied between the three layers of the duct.

20200525_114601

Fuselage is together.

20200525_131242

The rest of the internals will be placed through the wing gap.

20200525_134133

• Like 14

On 5/25/2020 at 3:49 PM, CedB said:

Stunning stuff Cookie :)

On 5/25/2020 at 11:45 PM, giemme said:

Cookie, those ducts are impressive! :worthy:  :worthy:

Awesome level of detail! :clap:

Thanks Ced and Giorgio!

I've continued scratching tiny parts that hopefully bear just enough resemblance to the real thing to trick the eye when stashed away in the open compartment.

20200527_213938

And all thrown in there:

20200527_214541

Some bracing added.

20200527_223704

The 'lower' ducts are still left to do, along with a few more details, but they'll be added after I attach the wings, I think.

I cleaned up the chipping a little on the paint mule (paint horse, since it's a Mustang?) and added some more with the INCIDO.

20200528_173849

I'm more confident now that I'll be able to use enamel Colourcoats as the top layer, which I want to do, because it is the only accurate version of WWII Glossy Sea Blue that I know of.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Crikey (puts on running shoes just to keep up), you keep upping the game, Cookie - splendid stuff!

Thanks John, it's a little tedious, but more doable than I thought it might be.

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Impressive stuff, Cookie :clap: Does chipping on the enamel paint require more effort?

Thanks Giorgio, the enamel just behaves differently - it's more robust than water based acrylics or lacquers. From what I can parrot from things I've read recently, it's not as water permeable and so the water has a harder time reaching and 'melting' the hairspray underneath.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

More great stuff Cookie :clap2:

Thanks Ced, it's no vacuforming a brand new canopy and adding my own framing or anything, but it'll do for now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the dangers of having such an exhaustive reference for a subject is constantly finding new details to add (the book has three pages about the tyres). One thing I noticed in some of the reference pics is the retractable door cover for the step on the right side of the fuselage is missing, leaving a a nice Yellow Zinc Chromate indented step. So out with pin vise drill and hobby knife.

20200601_213455

I used tweezers to attach some plasticard backing inside the fuselage - would have been a lot easier to do before closing it up!

And a little more work on the internals.

20200601_215245

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

One of the dangers of having such an exhaustive reference for a subject is constantly finding new details to add (the book has three pages about the tyres)

Only three pages !!! ..................... That's outrageous. How can you possibly make decent detailed tyres with only three pages??? 🤪

Loving the way the internals are coming along Cookie.

Terry

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well, back at this one after completing an RNZAF Corsair in the STGB.

A little bit of a setback on this guy:

20200616_142906

Managed a giant drop of superglue on the wing. I didn't notice until days later when it was nice and set.

Used a metal file to knock it down then re-scribed.

20200616_165110

I think it will be OK, phew.

I added a bit of card to the edge, so it can be sculpted to the proper shape after I removed too much separating the outer wing.

20200626_171051

Outer flap removed from the molding block and ready to be fitted.

20200626_174855

After quite a bit of filing sanding and test fitting.

20200626_175500

And started on the internals.

20200626_180709

Thanks to @Dansk and @Corsairfoxfouruncle for their help showing the wing internals and wing fold mechanism in their respective STGB posts.

Now to attach the rest of the flaps and clip the wing tips.

• Like 11

Thanks everybody!

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great save indeed Cookie. A blob of superglue like that may have driven me to give up up entirely! Great progress there.

Thanks Terry, I immediately ordered a backup kit (found one for cheap), and I guess the confidence of knowing I had a spare wing on the way inspired the confidence necessary for the fix. The upshot is, I have another Tamiya 1/72 Corsair now.

Well talk about needing some confidence, somehow all this stuff needs to become a Corsair:

20200627_165102

Flaps attached.

20200627_171619

20200627_171633

Some filling a sanding required, but I think they're OK.

Wings attached to the fuselage.

20200627_172254

It's hard to see in this pic, but it definitely exhibits the now famous 1/72 Tamiya Corsair wing root gap, first described in these pages by @JackG.

Now it's time to add the last bit of engine auxiliary internals - the lower ducting.

20200627_182821

I know it just looks like a blob of plastic, but this shape took about 25 million iterations of fitting and filing to get 'right'. It's not right at all (hopefully only @Dana Bell can tell), but it fits!

20200627_185817

This is what happens when Cookie is left at home for an entire Saturday.

20200627_190429

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

This is what happens when Cookie is left at home for an entire Saturday.

A very productive Saturday, I'd say!

:clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Cookenbacher said:

There was some interaction with the Colourcoats, I didn't wait long enough for the Future coat to dry, I think, but the result actually looks a bit like the real KD431 in places.

More practice required, but I think I prefer the look of the hairspray chipping method.

I'm a bit late to the party... but these experiments look terrific.  I thought the hairspray trick only worked with Acrylics (My sworn enemy), but full disclosure I never tried it with lacquers.  This makes me hopeful because it seems like the paint chipping effect looks to most realistic to me.

Very nice work so far...

Edited by opus999
hit enter by accident.
  • Like 2