1/144 Airfix Boeing 707 - Air Mauritius

Airfix Boeing 707 1/144

26 Decals - Air Mauritius

am1.jpg

I've got three of the ancient Airfix 707's in the stash, but what to do with them? They are the Conway engined -436 version not used by very many airlines. Browsing the 26 Decals website I came across this laser decal sheet which really appealed to me. It covers two ex- British Airways 707's, G-APFD and G-ARWD. I chose G-ARWD, originally delivered to British Eagle and sister ship to the ill fated G-ARWE.

The kit originates from 1963 and has a number of areas for improvement. In no particular order:

• The nose is way too narrow, I shimmed it by about 5mm to fatten it, and fitted a Daco clear cockpit section. I've been using these on Airfix Airliners, and done several 737s and a 727 with them. The 707 can now be added to that list.
  • The talfin is too short, I raised it by about 10mm
  • The engines are horrible. I widened the intakes (which made a huge improvement) and sanded them to a better shape.
  • All raised panel lines sanded off an rescribed

I made one or two other improvements, but this has been lurking on my work bench for about a year, as I worked on it slowly, It always seemed to need filling or sanding, so was never the favourite when I got a bit of bench time! Anyway, I got there in the end it is now finished. I'm not in any hurry to start the other two just yet.

am3.jpg

am2.jpg

am4.jpg

am5.jpg

am6.jpg

am7.jpg

With something else, its' rival the DC-8, also using 26 Decals.

am8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

John

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Hi John

What a beauty! I wouldn't have guessed it was the Airfix kit if you hadn't said so. You certainly know how to get the best out of the Airfix oldies. It's been a while since I looked at an Airfix 707 but I think it suffers from my biggest modelling pet hate - wings split on the upper surface. Well done for such an impeccable natural metal finish on the wings which must have involved a great deal of filling, sanding and re-scribing.  Inspirational as always.

Dave G

• Like 1

Absolutely marvellous,great job on an old classic and lovely old style cheat line livery. well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Splendid! I remember this kit from my early modelling days!

I've got to agree with everyone else you've done a great job on this old kit which I have, for many years now, thought was totally unsuitable to represent a 707. I'm beginning to think there might still  be some life left in it though and, although your Daco clear cockpit section massively improves the cockpit area, wonder if a Two Mikes resin replacement nose might work too?

Widening the engine intakes makes such a difference and I love your wing work they really look the part.

I've had this 707 livery on my to do list for a while as it takes me back to the top floor of car park 2 at Heathrow where you could get a great view over the apron where they used to park. It really brings back some memories for me!

Any ideas what livery you'll finish the other two in when you get around to it?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Beautiful build, John...of such a vintage kit. I remember building this one as a kid. Wasn't until  much later that I realized that the kit is terribly inaccurate and requires a lot of re shaping. You’ve done a cracking job of building her up beautifully! And I love the livery...makes the old 707 look properly dressed and eye-catching. I have to agree with Dave...you really do get the best out of the Airfix oldies! :clap2:

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 23:54, Turbofan said:

I've had this 707 livery on my to do list for a while as it takes me back to the top floor of car park 2 at Heathrow where you could get a great view over the apron where they used to park. It really brings back some memories for me!

Any ideas what livery you'll finish the other two in when you get around to it?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I remember spotting from car park 2 at Heathrow, maybe were there at the same time all those years ago!

I have an AA resin 707 which will probably get either Liveries Unlimited Pan AM or TWA markings. The Airfix ones I have a set of 26 Decals BOAC for.

Then again the AA kit might get the BOAC decals....  Decisions, decisions!

Cheers

John

Really impressed John that this is the old Airfix kit I remember when I was a kid.   All these airliner models makes me sigh wondering when we will all getting back on one for a foreign holiday .............

What's next on your bench?   I've just starting Eduard's limited edition kit of the Hanriot HD1 in Italian markings - most likely my last WW1 bird for a while as I am saving my last WNW (Sopwith Pup reissue) kit for a while.

Regards

Dave

That has certainly turned out well John. and as others have said, it's nice to see these oldies being built, especially when done to such a high standard. 

Sorry I've only just spotted your threat otherwise I would have responded earlier.

Chris.