Jaguar Mk2, Tamiya, 1/24

Not sure why this one has been lingering unopened on the shelf for so long, but I decided it was time it wasn't. Usual Tamiya well-engineered kit, which even includes material and templates for carpets!

first-parts-primered.jpg

body-in-primer.jpg

First few parts getting started. Body is primed with Stynylrez, which is my go-to for going under Zero paints these days.

body-in-blue.jpg

It was a choice between gunmetal with red interior, or this Opalescent Silver Blue (a homebrew using Zero Pearlescent White as a starting point). The interior will be blue and grey.

shiny-blue-body.jpg

shiny-blue-body-3.jpg

And with the Diamond 2K Clear on top. Shutlines darkened with Citadel Leviadon Blue Contrast paint.

best,

M.

• Like 8

Oh yeah! Fantastic kit, my dad got me one years ago when I had no chance to do it justice, wish I could get hold of one again, you will make a stunning job of this no doubt, I seem to remember rub on metal trim and decals for the dashboard wood? Thumbs up for the colour to, my favourite shade on any Jag 😉 I really look forward to watching this.

Andy.

Xjs

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

First few parts getting started. Body is primed with Stynylrez, which is my go-to for going under Zero paints these days.

Another well executed tasteful combination of a classic - great choices. I will say those shutlines look a bit strong to my eye but will wait for the final look.

You say the water-based primer is your go to and it does lay down beautifully. But does it live under most lacquers without reaction?

Lovely colour beautifully applied to this, it's a good start and on past builds I'm sure you'll continue in that vein.

I do wish Tamiya would reissue this one (and indeed their other historic range). It was looking for the Mk2 Jag that led to me buying that Lotus a couple of weeks ago.

I love this color, too and your painting job is absolutely stunning 👍

However, as Codger, I find the panel line too strong, and the contrast with the body color a bit shocking

I wonder if you couldn't reduce it, using a Tamiya Grey panel line accent color, or any homemade wash ?

Please consider my remark as a constructive criticism :)

12 hours ago, Spiny said:

I do wish Tamiya would reissue this one (and indeed their other historic range). It was looking for the Mk2 Jag that led to me buying that Lotus a couple of weeks ago.

I was thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. I set a goal to get them all until I saw the prices these models go for nowadays : https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=112&cat=&target=Series&searchkey=Historic+Car

Lovely colour, lovely paint job!! I think the panel lines will tone down somewhat when you get the interior, glass, wheels/tyres and other stuff going on. They always look too much on a bare painted body at first..

Great car & nice paint job with a well produced custom colour. Can't wait to see how this progresses. Looking at the other comments, I'm not the only one wishing for more classic car kits

• Like 1

Thanks, all... progress is still being made, albeit slowly... first, the engine:

engine4.jpg

engine1.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine2.jpg

...and the interior is more or less done:

carpets.jpg

The instructions have neat templates for cutting out the "carpet" provided in the kit. Mine had the self-adhesive "velvet" material, but in red, so not really appropriate for this colour scheme. However, a few quid on eBay later, I have enough blue material to carpet at least 20 classic cars...

inside-anatomised.jpg

Time to finish the chassis...

best,

M.

• Like 6

On 5/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, Codger said:

You say the water-based primer is your go to and it does lay down beautifully. But does it live under most lacquers without reaction?

Matt, you may have missed my question; would you mind sharing? / C

5 minutes ago, Codger said:

Matt, you may have missed my question; would you mind sharing? / C

Apologies... to be honest, I don't know. It works brilliantly for Zero base coats. It dries with a slightly matt finish, which is fine with the Zero base coat over the top, which you'd also expect to dry matt and slightly "rough". I've never tried it under Tamiya acrylic sprays, which are my other paint system, because I just use the Tamiya Fine Surface primer for those. The stuff "seems" pretty bomb-proof, and cleans up with water, which is a plus. My instinct is that it'd be pretty impervious to hot lacquer, but might not be smooth enough to use without a clearcoat, and I think it's likely that IPA-based paints and solvents might soften it...

Best,

M.

• Thanks 1

As said before...a real nice start with a great paint job. The carpet looks stunning just like the rest. I'm looking forward to your progress.

How to combine several colour systems is always an issue. I'm just working on a model and used Tamiya paint and now I don't know If Zero Diamant clear can be used on top...

And at least it would be fantastic if Tamiya would re-release some of their classics or bring out some"new" classics

Marco F

22 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Apologies... to be honest, I don't know. It works brilliantly for Zero base coats. It dries with a slightly matt finish, which is fine with the Zero base coat over the top, which you'd also expect to dry matt and slightly "rough". I've never tried it under Tamiya acrylic sprays, which are my other paint system, because I just use the Tamiya Fine Surface primer for those. The stuff "seems" pretty bomb-proof, and cleans up with water, which is a plus. My instinct is that it'd be pretty impervious to hot lacquer, but might not be smooth enough to use without a clearcoat, and I think it's likely that IPA-based paints and solvents might soften it...

Best,

M.

The only trouble I find with Stynylrez is it doesn't bite into the plastic, fine if you don't need to mask any part but a nightmare if you do

Lacquers don't seem to bother it if you give it enough time to fully cure

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much, guys.A bit more substantial progress over the last few days:

chassis-done-1.jpg

chassis-done-2.jpg

chassis-done-3.jpg

That's the chassis done. Brake disks are my usual recipe: Humbrol Metalcote Steel from a rattle can, polished up for the disks, lightly drybrushed for the callipers, and the centres painted Tamiya Titanium Gold.

interior-done-1.jpg

interior-done-2.jpg

interior-done-3.jpg

The interior assembles nicely. I've seen people complain about the simplified door furniture, but I figure once it's all inside you won't be able to tell...

Finally, a quick mockup to see how it all goes together:

mockup-in-body-1.jpg

mockup-in-body-2.jpg

mockup-in-body-3.jpg

Which confirms my feeling that although the contrast on the seats maybe looks a little overdone out in the open, once it's inside it just gives an impression of some detail.

Lots of details to start adding now. The one area where this Tamiya kit is lacking is in engine bay details. The heater and battery are there and still to go in, but if you open a real Mk2 bonnet, the impression is of a pretty well packed engine bay, while in the kit there's really a lot of room around the engine. Still, there are plenty of good reference photos out there...

best,

M.

• Like 7

Nice work the dashboard in particular looks great. The blue you've chosen for the body is an excellent choice very Jaguarish if you see what I mean 🙂

Thanks, guys!

engine-bay-as-provided-1.jpg

engine-bay-as-provided-2.jpg

This is (more or less) what the kit gives you for the engine bay. The Lucas decals for the battery came from some handy sponsor logos I had available, and the little filling cap on the radiator and its overflow tube are home made. But see those big empty blue sidewalls? They are pretty crowded on the real thing. So, on with some "gizmology", based on my "Factory Original Jaguar Mk2" book...

engine-bay-bits-1.jpg

engine-bay-bits-2.jpg

I know what some of these are... The fuel filter (clear dome thing) is a bit overscale, but I wasn't going to start turning down perspex rod to make a slightly smaller one, so it's a spare bit of clear sprue. The wash bottle and pump (clear blue thing) should in theory either be clear, with blue liquid, but square, or cylindrical but white plastic. However, I had a blue cocktail stirrer that I'd been keeping for just such a purpose, and the hybrid design will add interest to the engine bay. The black and silver box thing in the middle is the main electric control unit, which has a lot of terminals under the black cover. The other two are probably reservoirs of some kind, though the smaller square one has several wires coming out of the top. The wash bottle, control unit and wiring loom go on the exhaust side of the engine bay, and the fuel pump and the two reservoirs go on the carburetor side. I'll put some wires and maybe the fuel lines in when I mount all these on the bay walls, but I'm not planning to reproduce them all... I just want it to look well-filled and busy...

best,

M.

• Like 3

Nice work, I've opened the bonnet on a Jaguar Mk II a few times (as a museum guide, when people have asked to see the engine bay of the JDHT's Mk II).  I can't recall exactly what it's like from memory but I agree that there's a lot more stuff in there than the basic kit seems to provide.  It's good to see how you're going about adding that detail.  If I can find a Mk II kit it's one I'd like to build so I may end up stealing some of your ideas.

Thanks, John... I wish I had access to one regularly! I think I've done more or less as much in the engine bay as my patience, eyesight, and stocks of wire will stand...

engine-bay-from-right.jpg

engine-bay-from-front-right.jpg

engine-bay-from-left.jpg

A little bit of cleaning and tidying to do, but the chassis is now complete, I reckon.

chassis-right-XL.jpg

chassis-left.jpg

chassis-top.jpg

Window glass next...

best,

M.

• Like 3