Aviatik 30.40 Alliance Models 1/48

The Aviatik 30.40 was a prototype Austro-Hungarian interceptor from 1918 and this is my build of the Alliance Models 1/48th limited run kit.

I have always thought this to be an attractive little aircraft especially with it's interesting two tone grey low-vis camouflage.

3I5TTT6.jpg

There only being a few parts in the kit I was hoping for a straight forward build, but as is often the way with limited run kits there was a lot more work than there appeared to be at first glance. 

I added as much detail to the cockpit as I could based on photos from similar Aviatik aircraft from the period and as usual little of it can be seen now.  Seat belts are from Eduard and a couple of generic dials were added to the instument panel.

All the flying surfaces were sanded to remove the exaggerated rib detail and to thin the trailing edges. The distinctive washout on the ailerons was added by gently heating them and bending into shape.

The engine was replaced by one I found in the spares box. With some additional wiring and plumbing although not 100% accurate it's passable, especially as it's mostly hidden behind the cowling. 

The struts supplied were rather thick and over sized so these were replaced with brass Strutz material, soldered where strength was required.

The spoked wheels are Eduard items robbed from another kit and I drilled out the kit wheels to get the tyres. Not perfect but good enough.

The propeller is made from wood veneers. After looking at the photos I realised it wasn't fixed which is why it looks a little crooked in some views.

The paint was my own mix of Mr.Color paints.

The hardest part of the build was trying to replicate the machined aluminium cowling and panels and I'm still not really happy with the way they turned out.

As always critique and advice welcomed.

Wayne.

GSrHu0u.jpg

yhRyNzV.jpg

9Fa3mjD.jpg

SlIlUrL.jpg

GjreXJT.jpg        METhdEMl.jpg?1

Edited by diablo rsv
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Superb! I never heard of this prototype. A very nice little plane and a great model photographed very well.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

That's an extraordinary build. The tires look real!

Thank you very much!

47 minutes ago, Bughunter said:

That is a very nice build! The nature of the short run kit is no more visible. I like it a lot :like:

But where the hell did you get this kit?

Cheers,

Frank

Thank you very much Frank.

I think they only made a couple of kits of subjects from this period and both are of lesser known types. This one and the WKF D.I.

U9AOyREm.jpg

To be honest I can't remember where I got them from, they have been in the stash for around 20 years or so. I can thoroughly recommend them though if you can track one down.

Wayne

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John Masters said:

The burnishing on the cowling is superb.  How did you do it?  Wonderful build all around.

Thank you John.

I used a base coat of Alclad II polished aluminium.  I  then punched holes in a piece of aluminium foil ( from a cherry bakewell case ) and sprayed Mr.Metal Color chrome silver through it.

To be honest I'm not entirely happy with the result when compared to photos of the original. The technique probably needs a bit of refinement but I lost the will after a couple of attempts.

Wayne 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wayne -

Outstanding work on a WW1 aircraft I had not heard of before so a refreshing change

Regards

Davw

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Wayne -

Outstanding work on a WW1 aircraft I had not heard of before so a refreshing change

Regards

Davw

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

11 hours ago, Jonners said:

Lovely result, Wayne. The paintwork is very nicely done and the colour scheme is as unusual as the aircraft type itself. 

9 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

I second John Masters' comment about the burnishing. In the photos it really does get the ball over the net. Yes, it could benefit from refinement, but it really does communicate the finish.

8 hours ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Thank you all very much!

Well that's something a little bit different.  I like the look of the aircraft and the scheme it wears.  The spoked wheels and the finishing of the prop are stand outs. But the best bit is the thought of enjoying your cherry bakewell and having a eureka moment with the empty casing.....the cowling looks all the better for it.

Very nice work

Cheers :thumbsup:

Gaz

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dric said:

Lovely replica.

Really nice work !

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

Fantastic model!

Really great!

This kit is also new to me...

Thank you very much!

• 1 year later...
On 16/05/2020 at 16:25, diablo rsv said:

The Aviatik 30.40 was a prototype Austro-Hungarian interceptor from 1918 and this is my build of the Alliance Models 1/48th limited run kit.

I have always thought this to be an attractive little aircraft especially with it's interesting two tone grey low-vis camouflage.

There only being a few parts in the kit I was hoping for a straight forward build, but as is often the way with limited run kits there was a lot more work than there appeared to be at first glance. 

I added as much detail to the cockpit as I could based on photos from similar Aviatik aircraft from the period and as usual little of it can be seen now.  Seat belts are from Eduard and a couple of generic dials were added to the instument panel.

All the flying surfaces were sanded to remove the exaggerated rib detail and to thin the trailing edges. The distinctive washout on the ailerons was added by gently heating them and bending into shape.

The engine was replaced by one I found in the spares box. With some additional wiring and plumbing although not 100% accurate it's passable, especially as it's mostly hidden behind the cowling. 

The struts supplied were rather thick and over sized so these were replaced with brass Strutz material, soldered where strength was required.

The spoked wheels are Eduard items robbed from another kit and I drilled out the kit wheels to get the tyres. Not perfect but good enough.

The propeller is made from wood veneers. After looking at the photos I realised it wasn't fixed which is why it looks a little crooked in some views.

The paint was my own mix of Mr.Color paints.

The hardest part of the build was trying to replicate the machined aluminium cowling and panels and I'm still not really happy with the way they turned out.

As always critique and advice welcomed.

Wayne.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm reviving it because I have just found one and bought it. And I wanted to say what a beautiful job you've made - I hope (but to be honest doubt!) that I can make mine as nicely. I particularly like how you've done the 'engine turned' finish on the cowling, even though that's a bit that you express doubts about! It looks brilliant, and it is a lovely model of a lovely little plane. I shall use this as a build guide for mine!

• Thanks 1

On 05/12/2021 at 11:37, sidevalve said:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm reviving it because I have just found one and bought it. And I wanted to say what a beautiful job you've made - I hope (but to be honest doubt!) that I can make mine as nicely. I particularly like how you've done the 'engine turned' finish on the cowling, even though that's a bit that you express doubts about! It looks brilliant, and it is a lovely model of a lovely little plane. I shall use this as a build guide for mine!

Nice find. I don't think they come up too often.

It's a lovely little kit but it does benefit from an extra bit of work.  Frank @Bughunter has done a more recent build than mine and is well worth checking out. He made a much better job of the metal panels on his by using actual aluminium and he also spotted a couple of details that I missed on mine. You can find his build HERE or his more detailed work in progress over on the WW1 Aircraft modellers forum HERE, again well worth a read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1