Spitfire Mk IXc, S/Ldr Eugeniusz Horbaczewski *** FINISHED 26/05/2020***

Decided to have another Spitfire among my current Covid-Lockdown building spree!

Here is KP's new tool Mk IXc in one of their Club Line boxings. "Dziubek" (translation "the beak") was the third highest scoring Polish fighter ace with 16.5 kills.

He was part of the Polish Fighting Team in N.Africa, the subject of this model.

I started to paint the cockpit bits but that's as far as I have got. This will also be another attempt at brush painting 🙄.

Davey.

DSC_0004 DSC_0005

• Like 4

Been swopping between this and the Swordfish over on the 'In the Navy' GB.

Got the cockpit together, KP instructs you to assemble the whole thing then insert it under the joined together fuselage halves but I found it easier to build it up into one half like most other kits.  The 'floor' portion won't fit through the front instrument panel bulkhead without chopping out some plastic further down to the bottom. Added masking tape seat belts but that's about it for any more detail.

Davey.

DSC_0021

• Like 4

Not much done today, swapping between this and my Swordfish build.

Fuselage together, lines up nicely, no locating pins though although sometimes I think they're more help and hinderance!

I then glued the lower half in place, leaving this to harden some, the rear needing support while drying.  You have to cut the tips off the upper 'clipped' wing halves and replace them with the standard wing tips supplied. It would have been better if KP had just supplied different tips for different versions!

Davey.

DSC_0001

• Like 1

Got the airframe together. Obtained a good join with the lower wing, no filler required!  Laid the top wing halves and the port wing is a good fit with only a touch of filler required, the starboard wing will need a little more. Tailplanes are butt joined but went on well after a bit of filing to flatten the joining surfaces and no filler required!

Wingtips are on, not too bad a fit will need a little filling and sanding.

Davey.

DSC_0003 DSC_0002 DSC_0001

• Like 5

Got some paint on this today after finishing the Swordfish.

As mentioned earlier, since getting back into modelling a few years ago I got some airbrush gear and a bunch of Vallejo ModelAir paints, plus others, and have been satisfied by the results, and as a bonus the clean-up is easy.  I thought I would give 'hairy stick' painting another shot. 

I've used Xtracrylix paints for all three colours.  I used this type of paint on the Stuka I did earlier in the year and thought I would give it another go.  It dries almost as soon as you put it on, even when thinning it a little. But I persevered and after a few coats of each colour it doesn't look too bad. I did brush on some Vallejo Acrylic Grey Primer beforehand, but this seems better airbrushed on.  I made a mistake on the starboard wing scheme and had to redo it!

I feel like there are still a lot of brush strokes visible, so experimented with a light sanding of the port wing. This took the 'peaks' off and made the wing look a bit weathered!

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I'll get the decaling done tomorrow maybe before all the little finishing bits and pieces.

Davey.

DSC_0012 DSC_0013 DSC_0014

• Like 4

Got the decals on and a Matt varnish done (airbrushed on), really hides those brush strokes!

The decals were very thin and a couple broke on handling but generally stuck to where they were placed and could be pressed into the panel line detail.

I don't know if it's just me but the upper wing roundels look a tad big, comparing it to the other Spitfire builds I 've done they seem the same, maybe it's the colour scheme?

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

• Like 8

• DaveyGair changed the title to Spitfire Mk IXc, S/Ldr Eugeniusz Horbaczewski *** FINISHED 26/05/2020***
On 5/25/2020 at 2:42 AM, Cookenbacher said:

Hey, that's looking really good in desert camo.

Thanks Cookie, I've got quite a few different aircraft lined up for a desert scheme, watch this space!

Here we are finished.  I've done a bit of weathering, I know vehicles and aircraft got battered by the wind and sand but I don't like to go too over the top!

I lost the canopy rear view mirror, scratched a new one and lost that one so it'll have to do without!

I think this will be the last Spitfire, got other stuff to get on with not GB related.

Davey.

DSC_0002 DSC_0008 DSC_0004

• Like 6

That is a lovely job there Davey. You had me a bit worried with the underside colour in your Sunday post, I was thinking Xtracylics had gone the old Humbrol way for Azure Blue but your later photos sorted that out, those colours look darn good, a pity we can't get the Xtracrylics out here.

Steve.

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Very good job Davey 👍

Best Regards

Patrice

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done on this one. :clap2:

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a lovely job there Davey. You had me a bit worried with the underside colour in your Sunday post, I was thinking Xtracylics had gone the old Humbrol way for Azure Blue but your later photos sorted that out, those colours look darn good, a pity we can't get the Xtracrylics out here.

Steve.

Many thanks guys.  Steve, I think it's the Matt varnish that's brought the whole thing together toning down the colours a bit.

I hope everyone is doing OK in this Lockdown, I'm loving it, my wife is climbing the walls being the type that likes to get out and drag me around National Trust places!

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1