Campbell-Railton Blue Bird 1933

Here is the finished Campbell-Railton Blue Bird in the 1933 version, now rebuilt and fitted with the new Rolls Royce R engine. The model is built from the FPPM 1/24 scale resin kit, with some added and modified details, the WIP-thread is here. It's built to represent how it appeared on Daytona Beach on February 22nd 1933 when Sir Malcolm Campbell raised his own record to 438,48 km/h or 272,46 mph.

BB100.jpg

BB101.jpg

BB102.jpg

BB103.jpg

BB104.jpg

BB105.jpg

BB106.jpg

Competitors of the same era; Henry Segrave's Golden Arrow and Malcolm Campbell's Blue Bird.

BB107.jpg

Father and son; Malcolm and Donald Campbell.

BB108.jpg

BB109.jpg

BB110.jpg

BB111.jpg

BB112.jpg

BB113.jpg

BB114.jpg

BB115.jpg

Edit: I thought this was too good to not be included:

BB5899.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful work! The kit doesn't look too promising but you've got the very best from it. Nice level of sheen,  shiny but not over glossy - very realistic. Lovely!

Dave

• Thanks 1

Really nice finish, the subtle weathering is great. I know there lost of details to Admire, but the leather on the interior looks very realistic

Great addition to your impressive speed collection too!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Thank you very much gentlemen, you are most kind. I'm both happy and humbled that you like my efforts.

@Sabrejet That Railton book sounds like good reading. Will have to look for it I think.

It's expensive but will take a good while to read. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Wow, another LSR masterpiece!  Would I be correct in thinking this looked an easier build than the CN7 kit? By the way, did you ever finish the build thread on the CN7. I never saw the latter stages of the project after you had got the sanding and filling work done.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Sheene Machine said:

Wow, another LSR masterpiece!  Would I be correct in thinking this looked an easier build than the CN7 kit? By the way, did you ever finish the build thread on the CN7. I never saw the latter stages of the project after you had got the sanding and filling work done.  

Thank you very much!

Oh, easier than the CN7? Hmm, they are both challenging builds, but in different ways, but yes, the CN7 is a bit less refined I'd say, being an earlier FPPM kit and needs some substantial filling/sanding/fixing, I think I got side tracked at the end of that build thread, There are some photos of the finished model in my 2015 yearbook linked below.

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Thank you very much!

Oh, easier than the CN7? Hmm, they are both challenging builds, but in different ways, but yes, the CN7 is a bit less refined I'd say, being an earlier FPPM kit and needs some substantial filling/sanding/fixing, I think I got side tracked at the end of that build thread, There are some photos of the finished model in my 2015 yearbook linked below.

Ahh, yes, look like a Lotus caught your eye! Perhaps I should have put ‘easier’! Your CN7 looks so beautiful. That’s a great collection you have. Fernando has more LSR’s planned....

• Like 1