1/48 T-55 Tamiya

On 16/05/2020 at 11:33, ScanmanDan said:

I've been excitedly awaiting this kit for some time.  I just had to crack it open and make a start.

While I generally love the new kit like many I though the rear engine deck could use a little love.  So out came the drills, files and styrene.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not all that accurate but a bit better than what was there and I think once painted will look okay.  I will start on adding handles and hold downs for the tool boxes and plumbing for the fuel tanks next.  I do hope that some aftermarket photoetch becomes available soon as I don't want to do this kind of hacking again.  That said it is a cracking kit.  Tamiya really do have this scale sorted out.

Dan

I've still got my "Inside KIT" to complete and maybe this would have been a better option, watching with interest.  On my build the area at the back behind the silver looking intakes have fins made from PE, I've still got to fit these.  

More silly mucking about with the printer.

spacer.png
An APFSDS round

spacer.png

Open ammo boxes

spacer.png

and a WIP on the missing entrenching tools for the fender.

I will get back to the weathering but it's too cold and wet in the workshop to day.  Much nicer working on the computer today.

Dan

• Like 4

HI John :) 

These tracks/roadwheels go together really well.  Go Team Tamiya!  I would say they are just about foolproof. You will want to sand off the raised nubs off the inside of the tracks but I just used my battery powered sander made from an old electric toothbrush to make short work of them.  I would add a little bit of damage to the rubber tyres ( I didn't but wish I had :(   ) I would also suggest pre painting the inside faces of the road wheels before assembly as it is really hard to get paint in there after you assemble the track units.

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

I got to play with some mud tonight.  Not much of this will been seen again once I put the tracks back on :( 

Still it was good 
practice.  I can see heaps to do better next time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

I thought I'd do a bit of gardening today 😀  Broke out a shrubbery or two then took out the static grass gun for spin.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm working on adding more bits and bobs and I want to add a puddle in that pot hole.  Having fun and just pottering around.

Dan

• Like 5

I'm calling this done till the end when I'll paint up some ammo boxes and maybe a figure or two.

spacer.png

My squirrelly friends had me messing about with one of those flying things today and that will never do.  Time to get back to the T-55 :) 

• Like 5

spacer.png

spacer.png

The open topped ammo box came out better than I had hoped.  I'm pretty pleased with both the design and the printing.  Just in primer now but I'll paint it with all the other stowage/gear and the figures.

• Like 2

Progress;

spacer.png

Mostly just some boxes and bits to fill the scene and window dress of some figures.  

I have been a bit distracted with trying to design the turret boxes that hang on the Polish built T-55's.  I got some great help with reference from Tim Roberts and came up with this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I added some brass strips so I could test hang the little box.  I think it's about the right size and look okay, what do you think?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not for this build but I think I'll use it on my next one :) 

I want to do some painting on the tank this week end But I just got some neat figures, so who knows.

Dan

• Like 4

Very nice details you added there. The scene looks amazing. The tank is nice as well. I would consider two small upgrades though, just a bit of dust overall to knock back the shinyness and just a khaki colour over the gun cover to break up the monotony should give it the right touch.

Thanks Soeren, :)  Oh there is a lot more to do on the tank before it's finished.  I just get easily distracted...

Such as needing a figure or two for the 
scene.  So I did this guy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't that I'm getting any better painting figures but I feel that are getting painted faster and with less stress.

More still to do, but no rush, as I'm having fun.  I hope you like.

Dan

• Like 3

No John, he's a US maintenance guy from Areobouns.  I have a few of their figures as they are easy to get here in Australia.  A bit on the small side like the older Tamiya figures but most are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Next!

This guys a monster at almost 40mm tall.  Can't put him anywhere near the other figure. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I tried a few different things on him.  I like the way Kevin Townsend from Track48 paints his leather work so tried a brighter lighter leather colour for the belt them added a darker centre bit which considering I don't know what I'm doing work better than I have done in the past.  I'll 'push' it a bit more next time and maybe add in some more highlights as he describes in his folios.  So much more I want to do but time to move on to the next thing and not fixate on shoulda, woulda, coulda. 

Ah,  The squirrels call to me, Excelsior!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you just got one of these kits MM be on the look out for the new Hauler T-55 set, it looks a treat and has both PS and resin parts.  I'm saving for a set to use on my next T-55. :) 

Almost finished .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png  

spacer.png

I just need to find the antenna that I put somewhere 'safe' and a few more bits and bobs.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2